News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 Pro Football thread

Started by rollntider, February 21, 2017, 12:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Missed that. Any penalty, ejection?
This will segue into my next thought which is I don't watch a lot of football anymore.
Ive said this numerous times but no-one knows what a penalty is anymore, part of it is the refs because there is no continuity in calls from game to game, week to week. A bigger part of it this stupid rules committee that keeps inflating the rule book with all this technical nonsense and even they don't know what it means, except that whenever its said and done we want points on the board so figure it out.
then you have lapdogs like Mike Piererra (sp?) who, no matter what the hell just happened, he's going to side with the refs, ever single time. And heaven forbid and announcer make an honest comment about what bullshit weve just seen. Id give an eye tooth just once to hear Gruden cut loose on that inept twit, just once.
No matter what game I watch, I know, for a fact, the refs will influence the outcome of that game, its a simple fact of life. I hate it, and I hate the NFL.

that was a long rant, but it only gets worse because I just watched the Tuck Rule 30 for 30.
Im not one to side with Al Davis and his conspiracy theories but it just does seem to fit the agenda in this instance.
Indisputable evidence to overturn the call....where was the evidence to overturn the call?
I mention this because I think the tuck rule was the catalyst for the current state of the NFL. It wasn't the first instance but it was the biggest.
ok, Im done....

BojackHorsefella

The caption is hilarious, but seriously, when is Suh going to grow up? I mean, he's been in the league how long and is how old? Shit like this doesn't impress anyone.

Crewe

I think by now we can say this is who he is

TheNorm

So glad I had other stuff going on yesterday and I didn't waste my time on the Lions imploding against the Ravens.

https://twitter.com/MarktheNomad/status/937686985577304064

I may make this my new avatar here
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Aww, the Steelers had a potential call not go their way and now everyone's having a field day about it. How cute.

https://twitter.com/drunkgibbons/status/942587584412246021
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Theres a big to do about the catch. Many people say the catch rule is black and white and that was the point of the rule change.
The refs no longer have to enter judgement on plays like that because the rule is the rule.
What I read is that the process of the catch wasn't complete, i.e., the ball moved after hitting the ground.
I say, he caught the ball, broke the plane. Control was established, hence the lunge towards the goal line.
I have no dog in this fight but seriously, fuck these rules. Catch, two feet down, end of story.
This is exactly why I've distanced myself from the NFL over the last several years.

BojackHorsefella

I think the call WAS consistent with HOW they've been calling these catches these days. Do I agree with it? No, but it's not unusual or out of the norm for that to be ruled incomplete. Also, I'm all for anything that leads to a Steelers loss.

Crewe

I agree, but, just because they are calling it according to the rule doesn't mean it isn't an idiotic rule.
I realize Im refusing to let go to the old ways but it still dilutes my enjoyment of the game.
When I see a fingernail scrape the backside of a QB's helmet get flagged and then see one get slapped across the facemark with no call...well, yea, fuck these guys.

TheNorm

Well this sure was a fun read on a Friday morning.  :popcorn:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

QuoteTHE PATRIOTS ARE in uncharted territory. They haven't just won games and titles. They've won at an unprecedented rate and over an unprecedented span, which makes the feelings of entitlement creeping inside Gillette Stadium unprecedented as well. The Patriots, in the only statement anyone associated with the team would make on the record for this story, responded to specific questions by saying that there are "several inaccuracies and multiple examples given that absolutely did not occur," though they declined to go into detail. But according to interviews with more than a dozen New England staffers, executives, players and league sources with knowledge of the team's inner workings, the three most powerful people in the franchise -- Belichick, Brady and owner Robert Kraft -- have had serious disagreements. They differ on Brady's trainer, body coach and business partner Alex Guerrero; over the team's long-term plans at quarterback; over Belichick's bracing coaching style; and most of all, over who will be the last man standing. Those interviewed describe a palpable sense in the building that this might be the last year together for this group.

Crewe

Ill wait for it to unfold with little hope there's any real fire there

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2018, 02:56:39 PM

Pretty much what I'm thinking. I think they'll ultimately win another SB here but this offseason could be interesting if there really is a bunch of discord.
If a lot of this is true, I'm impressed it took this long...this group has pretty much been together since what, late 2001? In sports that's a lifetime.

BojackHorsefella

This is the one year I don't think the Patriots have the Super Bowl on lock (maybe I'm being foolish). Eagles probably can't beat them without Wentz, but Minnesota has a brutal defense and can control the clock, they don't make many mistakes, and then obviously the Rams are just a beast. Heck, even the Saints with Alvin Kamara should be able to run right through the Pats non-existent run D.

Ideally, Pittsburgh would lose to Jacksonville that way I can root for Jacksonville or KC against NE. I hate having to root for the Pats everytime they face Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship. Because seriously, screw the Steelers and screw their fans.

Crewe

I'd love to see the Vikes win it just because of Case Keenum. The Eagles can't...they just can't...id never hear the end of it. Besides, they have a lock on being the only blemish in the NFC East

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 05, 2018, 07:01:18 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2018, 02:56:39 PM

Pretty much what I'm thinking. I think they'll ultimately win another SB here but this offseason could be interesting if there really is a bunch of discord.
If a lot of this is true, I'm impressed it took this long...this group has pretty much been together since what, late 2001? In sports that's a lifetime.

Agreed. But if I'm to play along in the complete unknown, I'd side with Belichick.
Brady is great and all, but no way he even comes close to this type of career without BB, whereas I think BB has proven he can win with almost anyone. Kraft just seems so fraudulent to me, very haughty, never did like him.

BojackHorsefella

I mean, they went 3-1 with the Garoppolo/Brissett combo last season, and 11-5 with Cassell years ago, so Brady gets them 2-3 extra wins but based on the (admittedly small) sample size, yeah, seems like BB deserves credit