News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

PS4 or XBox One

Started by Crewe, June 25, 2014, 05:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

ok first things first.  I said in another thread that it would likely be 4 years before I entered the next gen territory so allow me to re address that briefly.
I had a good month.

Now, I'm considering buying one of these two and Ive read about them a little but wanted more input based on my perceptions and likes when it comes to a new system.
We've all seen the snappy XBox one commercials with all the media integration and while it's a cool advance in technology, I say, so what?
I don't want to watch tv while I play video games, I have a DVR for that. 
Streaming, as in streaming your music through or to the system, I don't care about that either.  I've got Apple TV for that, plus, all the music I want in my system is going to be on the hard drive anyway.
For Netflix, Amazon and the like?  Well...meh.  I mean when Amazon Prime was only on PS3 I rarely ever used it and even then only did it just because it was there.  Again, I use other devices for that purpose.
Kinect? I see no use for this at all.

The guts of the 2 systems seems like it will even out although Sony has the edge, so sayeth reviewers, in the graphics dept.  However, much to my surprise, one reviewer did bring up the first thought that came to my mind when I saw that, which was, would you notice the difference if they weren't right next to each other?  Not likely.  So thats a minimal advantage for me when considering a purchase.
There was also a bit about the billybox being compatible to the higher end wireless tech specs and Sony was on the old.  I don't know how that would affect me though.
The exclusive game war doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Im not going to let the availability of a certain game have any impact on my decision, so you can throw that "deciding factor" out the window.
I read the PS4 has much quicker load times and that the Xbox already has consistent booting issues, and their history does concern me somewhat Ill admit.
There was also something about Sony not recognizing mp3's as of now but that it will be a  future fix.  That might be a little bit of a pain so it might matter a bit.
What else?
I see the XBox has the HDMI in and outs whereas the PS4 only has the out.  I assume that's for the pass through for media integration ala TV feed, but like I noted earlier, doesn't really capture my interest.
I like the look of the PS4 better, but then I always have.  Minimal factor though.
To me, seems PS4 is designed more towards gaming and XBox is more towards a media experience.

That's all I can recall, so give me your input and correct my misinterpreted views.
I know Ive minimalized some of the features so enlighten as to how they may be used for instances Im not seeing, such as what might be used for what feature in the future etc...

Oh, and know this too, I freakin HATE Windows!!!  And I know the interface for the XBox is supposedly all Windows Desktop looking and sorta difficult to move around and if thats the case, Ill dump that turd out of contention right now.

rollntider

PS4 for me when I save up a few bucks unless something crazy happens like i get a xbox for free or something.

Crewe

I think thats which way Im leaning too, Ive just always been a Playstation guy and the next gen iteration of the Xbox didn't beat the PS3 in my mind.
I sorta see it as PS being an actual gaming console whereas XBox is wanting to be an entertainment hub.  While technology may be moving that way, I don't need it right now.

bigbaldben

I'll be getting the PS4.  I wanted to see what happened at launch and it seems XBOX is not what people were hoping.  At this point, I'm just waiting for the PS4 to get enough games.  :)

Crewe

thats the next thing I was looking into, but for me, I think theres enough.
I know MLB would be one game, specially since I can transfer my progress from the PS3 version for which I say, FINALLY!
Last of Us seems like one Id like as well as a few others, but Im waiting more for the ones designed for the PS4 and not just PS3 ports like those I named.

bigbaldben

I've been playing a lot of Battlefield 4 on the PS3 - I think it would be worth getting now just to see the bigger maps and matches with more players...

Crewe

that too, forgot about BF4.
Wish they would have another incarnation of Burnout Paradise on the 4.  That game was fun

cflnut

Quote from: Crewe on June 27, 2014, 02:44:28 PM
that too, forgot about BF4.
Wish they would have another incarnation of Burnout Paradise on the 4.  That game was fun

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is very similer to Burnout Paradise. But I don't know if there will be a PS4 version.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

yea I remember hearing the comparisons but never picked it up.

I did make the jump and bought the PS4.  Can't believe I did, but I did.
Not even sure why really, other than the fact my PS3 did begin to get really hot and heavy with its whirring and whatnot, but still played great.
All I have on the 4 is MLB thus far and its better and worse.
If you use sounds of the show as I did, that whole no mp3 thing? it's gonna suck so dont buy a 4 just for MLB

Bret

This may surprise some of you, but since the PCF days, I too have gotten into console gaming. I still prefer the PC, but the industry won't put a lot of titles on the PC so if I want to play some of the new games I have to adapt, I guess.

With this generation, I am gunshy to buy either at this point. Looking at the last generation, Xbox 360 fats were shit because of the whole RROD thing. PS3, while not nearly as widespread, had that YROD issue, also.

Judging by recent history, both M$ and Sony will put out an updated, improved version of their product, ala 360 slim and the smaller version of the PS3. I think I'll wait for that to come around before making the investment.

Also, last I looked (not too long ago) the Xbox One had something like 10 titles for it. If there were more, it wasn't by much. Not a lot to choose from. I'd rather wait for the prices to drop and the library to go.

Another advantage to waiting it is gives the pirate community time to come up with a good way to run unsigned code on the machines...opening up a whole new world of possibilities.

rollntider

Quote from: Bret on July 24, 2014, 12:58:00 AM
This may surprise some of you, but since the PCF days, I too have gotten into console gaming. I still prefer the PC, but the industry won't put a lot of titles on the PC so if I want to play some of the new games I have to adapt, I guess.

With this generation, I am gunshy to buy either at this point. Looking at the last generation, Xbox 360 fats were shit because of the whole RROD thing. PS3, while not nearly as widespread, had that YROD issue, also.

Judging by recent history, both M$ and Sony will put out an updated, improved version of their product, ala 360 slim and the smaller version of the PS3. I think I'll wait for that to come around before making the investment.

Also, last I looked (not too long ago) the Xbox One had something like 10 titles for it. If there were more, it wasn't by much. Not a lot to choose from. I'd rather wait for the prices to drop and the library to go.

Another advantage to waiting it is gives the pirate community time to come up with a good way to run unsigned code on the machines...opening up a whole new world of possibilities.
that may be what I do.

Crewe

All valid points and ones I adhered to in all previous consoles dating back to the PS One.  This time, I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 26, 2014, 02:55:04 AM

All valid points and ones I adhered to in all previous consoles dating back to the PS One.  This time, I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

You took it...AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT!
Then you broke another one with that circus stunt fly-by.

Well played, good sir!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on July 29, 2014, 08:39:55 PM
Quote from: Crewe on July 26, 2014, 02:55:04 AM

You took it...AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT!
Then you broke another one with that circus stunt fly-by.

Well played, good sir!

I love being around my people!   8)