News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2020 Status

Started by TheNorm, July 09, 2020, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Last week, South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster announced football in the state was in danger if the COVID-19 cases continued to spike. Makes sense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/02/south-carolina-governor-warns-of-no-football-in-his-state-this-year/

Yesterday, the Ivy League also ruled out playing all sports this fall due to the pandemic. The hope is to maybe postpone those to winter or even spring, but cancellation is probable too. Keep in mind that the Ivy League was also the first to shut it all down in March too.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29430262/ivy-league-rules-playing-all-sports-fall-due-coronavirus-pandemic

Also yesterday, Ohio State shut down voluntary workouts due to an increased number of positive cases in the student-athletes.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/news/ohio-state-pauses-voluntary-workouts-covid

Yes, I understand there's big money in Div. 1a college sports, especially football, but let's face facts: the odds of this season happening are low. Just take a look at the other major sports leagues: even through their little bubbles they have set up to try and protect the players, people are getting infected anyway. This isn't the time.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

NFL said no player jersey exchanges after the games now due to Covid. But.....grappling with each other in them all day is cool I guess?  :popcorn:

TheNorm

Big Ten announced earlier today that college football and other sports to be conference only this fall.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

QuoteWe are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority.

To that end, the Big Ten Conference announced today that if the Conference is able to participate in fall sports (men's and women's cross country, field hockey, football, men's and women's soccer, and women's volleyball) based on medical advice, it will move to Conference-only schedules in those sports. Details for these sports will be released at a later date, while decisions on sports not listed above will continue to be evaluated. By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic.

The word "if" doing a whole lot of heavy lifting in this statement.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 09, 2020, 01:15:27 PM
NFL said no player jersey exchanges after the games now due to Covid. But.....grappling with each other in them all day is cool I guess?  :popcorn:

That seems about on-brand for the NFL.  ::)

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1283923292030513152

"Could"? Nah fam, it most likely will...and while most other countries that actually listened to the scientific community succeeded in flattening the curve, we're stuck with an incompetent buffoon, COVID-19 cases spiking each day, and as of the time I post this over 137,000 dead American citizens. Instead of trying to protect the citizens by telling them to practice social distancing and to wear a mask, some idiots actually made that political. Seriously? Sorry, but this nurse is tired of the bullshit.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/16/trump-fumble-coronavirus-response-college-football-season

QuoteIf the season dies, we know who had the biggest hand in killing any chance of it happening: Donald Trump.

When he inevitably gets around to Twitter-ranting about what has happened to the sport, Trump should instead do what he never does—accept some accountability for the state of affairs. By blowing the summer he's jeopardized the fall, doing more to endanger the college football season than anyone in America.

Slow to respond, quick to downplay the risk, unwilling to create a national strategy, quite willing to attack governors who took the pandemic seriously, pushing for premature openings of states, flaunting a no-mask stance for months and turning that into a belligerent political statement, Trump and his ideologues are now marinating in a midsummer mess of their own creation. What an epic failure of leadership, one that will deprive Trump of his cherished autumn fealty festivals at a packed football stadium.

Wear a fucking mask already. I'm not gonna debate bullshit with you at this point, there's no "both sides" to this. If rivals can come together to film a PSA, you know damn well you can wear a mask. If I can wear a mask at work for 12-14 hours at a time, you can wear a fucking mask in your 15-45 minute trip to Walmart or Aldi's or wherever the hell you're going. Really hoping you're in a place where you've got leadership listening to scientists (thank you Gov. Whitmer and Gov. Pritzker) and looking to protect you, instead of a bootlicker to a racist and xenophobic reality tv show host. I said what I said.

https://twitter.com/UMichAthletics/status/1283494407719854082

Crewe

I had a nasty post typed out and thought I'd just let it lie.

TheNorm

By all means, continue lol

Crewe

Things are just so divisive, and I fought so hard to avoid being like this, I tried, I really tried for years to understand and talk with these types, but its just clear they dont care.
So, if I see you without a mask, I immediately know two things; you are a selfish prick, and are a Trump supporter.
Maybe not 100% of them, but close enough, and society, i.e, our President and his followers have made me this way. Besides, they dont like snowflakes and hurt feeling right? So fuck you then, how's that?
Oh and one more thing, I wish, and I really do, that these assholes that call hoax and all, when they get it, they should be refused medical attention.
Hows that? Since these jerk offs ramble about consequences of actions in their straw man arguments.

TheNorm

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't see this happening this fall.

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/rutgers-football-team-has-a-massive-growing-covid-19-outbreak.html

Punt this season to winter or spring, it's just not safe.

TheNorm

UConn became the first Div. 1A team to cancel their football season this morning.

About an hour later, the Big Ten released their schedule for the upcoming season while also acknowledging this doesn't mean we're going to play it.

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/1290993694401855495

I don't see it happening, but since it's out for the moment:

The Game moves to October.
Michigan State will play at Michigan this season. This is one of those things I actually hope sticks, as Michigan ended up playing in East Lansing the 2013 and 2014 seasons. This would flip the schedule back to Michigan having to travel to only one of those teams every year instead of having to play both teams on the road every two seasons.
Even in a strange year the Buckeyes still duck the two strongest teams in the comically bad B1G West (Wisconsin and Minnesota).

TheNorm

A few days ago, players from the Pac-12 made some waves citing their concerns with playing the upcoming season. Today, players from the Big 10 have also come out.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/big-ten-covid-19-football-season

TheNorm

TheNorm

TheNorm