UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 Season

Started by Crewe, July 07, 2017, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on October 08, 2017, 03:24:46 PM
Easy to say, Houston fan.

(How many years has it been since someone could say that in such a context?)

lol how bout now?

so uh in a few words, bats are sick.
This series is so indicative of Houston teams in any sport. This all excludes those two orgasmic seasons the Rockets pulled out in the 90's.
We sometimes have a good team, sometimes a great team, always competitive and almost always fold.
Sticking with baseball, 1980 v Phillies. Great series, multiple extra inning games, all one run games (IIRC) but we lost.
1986 v Mets; blew a 4 run lead in NY which led us back home just to lose in a heart wrenching exciting 16 inning marathon.
1990's....pick a series.
2005, such a stacked lineup that went cold in the playoffs.
2017, same.
Such a talented team, but our guys just whiff in crunch time.
Maybe I'm wrong but I certainly feel the Astros have the better team, but unless they start acting like it tonight, we will be home early, again.

And if I may honest, even if we make it to the WS, I don't see us beating he Dodgers. Holy crap that is a good team.

TheNorm

The Dodgers just took the defending champs and dismantled them. Definitely a damn good team, and whichever team comes out of the ALCS (please let it be the 'Stros) will have their work cut out for them.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I'm hopeful the Astros can do it. Its not even that big of an achievement to win two from the Yanks at home considering how terrible they are on the road, but then, we are much better on the road than home, at least until hose three games.
That said, I'm a huge Dodger fan if we lose.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, apparently the Yankees have an issue with hitting at the top of the inning? I heard that on MLB Network. I mean, if it's a 0-0 game I suppose there's slightly less pressure if you're batting at the bottom of the inning, but who knows?

I'm worried about them at the Astros park. They've looked out of control the last 3 games, and hey, outside of Game 5 we haven't gotten any production out of the DH spot anyways so who cares if our pitchers have to hit, but the home crowd and just that weird ballpark, I have concerns about them finishing out.

I'm assuming CC is going Game 7, if there is one. That's the only thing I have to steeling my nerves.

Crewe

Aren't the dimensions of Yankee stadium smaller than MMP?
I have to add that only in recent years have I softened on our ballpark only because many parks are smaller or same as Houston.
Still miss the monster Astronomer although I concede it wouldn't have been worth modernizing

BojackHorsefella

I just realized I, for some inexplicable reason, wrote in my prior post that the Yankees pitchers would have to hit tonight.

Guess I'm a series ahead in my thoughts.

TheNorm

Reminder that Game 7s are awesome.  :popcorn:

One of the things I miss about Must See JV: stuff like this. Definitely took him for granted when he was in Detroit.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/921582914592280576

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/921565405184974848
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

That still cracks me up but as much as it pains me to say, Frazier did what he could. That was such a great pitch that was set up so well, it looks like a FB coming at your head and in a split second he sees it will be a breaking ball over the plate, so he goes from bailing out to throwing the bat out there hoping for a foul ball.
Perfect execution, exactly the reaction that pitch is to cause the hitter.

I'm so glad the Astros made it, I just hope we aren't being fed to the Dodgers.
They are the more talented team but that doesn't mean we can't win

BojackHorsefella

I don't know man. I don't think there's a better hitter in baseball right now than Jose Altuve. Keuchel and Verlander match up with Kershaw and Darvish. LA definitely has the better bullpen though, but then so did the Yanks.

Crewe

Agree on all counts. Ill probably pay for this but JV can't keep doing the Superman bit, can he? I mean they finally hit Keuchel

BojackHorsefella

The best thing about the 'Stros being back in is watching all these Brad Lidge highlights on MLB Network right now.

I forgot how Pujols basically ended his career.

Crewe

BojackHorsefella

Jeez man. If nothing else, your boys do NOT quit.

Crewe

Its been fun to watch....heart attack inducing, but fun.
This was how it was in 1980 vs the Phillies, 81 vs the Dodgers, 86 vs the Mets, and numerous times in the 90's v Atlanta, et al, its all this franchise knows...check that, its all Houston teams know, cardiac type series and finishes.

When I see new fans with all their crisp new attire purchased after the Boston series, I just remind myself they missed all the real fun.
Watching all the moves, draft choices and development of players during the 100 loss seasons is what makes this journey worthwhile to me.
Seeing the build to this series, its truly entertaining.

I can't imagine, and am fearful of how many balls will be flying over the train tracks once we get back to the juicebox.

BojackHorsefella

There's an article from, if I remember correctly, the June 30th, 2014 issue of SI (actually was their cover story) where the headline was "Why Houston will be your 2017 World Series champs." This franchise has indeed made excellent moves and done an amazing job of developing talent, and they more than deserve to be where they are right now.