News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Off-Season/Season

Started by BojackHorsefella, January 12, 2018, 03:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

oh I get the sabermetrics aspect of it, certainly. And Im not against it, except when it exceeds logic.
Its like everyone knows you're bluffing staring into 4 of a kind but you're committed anyway.
Ive seen teams blow games because Mr. Homerun is going for two instead of laying down a bunt to move the man over to second.
And the argument is, I don't know how to bunt. Well, no shit. I didn't either until I practiced.

As for the strikeout thing, I was simply pointing out that the front office is mumbling that pitching is taking over and people are whiffing instead of getting on base lessening excitement, hence we need to change the rules. Im vehemently agains this in all forms.

Obviously Im not suggesting have a prolific power hitter like Judge bunt with a guy on 3rd...which you shouldn't be bunting in general with a guy on third although the Astros did pull off a safety squeeze last week. Situations vary, sure, but overall, I don't like the trend of small ball giving way to the homerun ball.
Its just an overall dislike of the trend when it infiltrates logical strategy

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, but you can move the guy over to second, but there's no guarantee you're not getting an out. You're trading an out, which, again, you only get 27 of, for one base over. Yes, it's "scoring position," but the odds of bringing that guy in aren't as high as might be expected (there's an amazing chart of scoring probability for "man on first, 1 out, man on 1st and 2nd, no outs, etc etc which highlights this. It's in Smart Baseball, I'm sure it's findable with Google too).

I mean, yeah, if you bunt the go over and you get on too, that's great, but it's not going to be like that every time, and probably not even a majority.

Rigg44

I am against bunting in almost all situations.  I think outs are to valuable to waste on the chance you will be in scoring position.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on July 18, 2018, 12:49:36 PM
Yeah, but you can move the guy over to second, but there's no guarantee you're not getting an out. You're trading an out, which, again, you only get 27 of, for one base over. Yes, it's "scoring position," but the odds of bringing that guy in aren't as high as might be expected (there's an amazing chart of scoring probability for "man on first, 1 out, man on 1st and 2nd, no outs, etc etc which highlights this. It's in Smart Baseball, I'm sure it's findable with Google too).

I mean, yeah, if you bunt the go over and you get on too, that's great, but it's not going to be like that every time, and probably not even a majority.
well of course its a trade off, hence a sacrifice. I don't intend to sound snarky, but thats my point. To me, its much easier to bunt a guy over than it is to get a base hit. Id argue that hits are just as valuable as outs so you could, in the same vein, be wasting a base hit, albeit you don't have a limited supply, other than the fact you are usually facing the best pitcher at this point in the game in which hits are far more rare.
I get that Im all alone on this, so perhaps it needs to be in the unpopular opinion thread ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Haha, maybe. And, to be fair, your initial post asked "What happened to bunting," so I definitely took the question a bit too literally, for sure.

That's also one of the great things about baseball though! So many strategies, and really, it depends on the team and the players. The Yankees, obviously, bunting doesn't factor in (although Gardner still has the speed if they wanted to). I'm not even sure where the Astros would go if they attempted to incorporate more bunting, because they've got some deadly contact hitters on there. I think it works for teams more traditionally built, that have that 2-4 or 3-5 big hitter guys and go from there (honestly, the Mariners would probably be a good bunt candidate. Lots of speed on that team and not much power with Cano out of the lineup).

Crewe

lol no I agree and it is fun to discuss. And to be clear, although I know you get where Im coming from, Im talking about situational bunting, not suggesting it should overtake every instance where it might be applicable.

Crewe

and finally able to get these framed
(site said attachments full so I had to link)

https://imgur.com/a/olwQFHE

Crewe

just sayin, Astros better get their shit together. Boston, NY and Cleveland are certainly taking three of the four spots and with the A's and Mariners hanging around it won't take much for us to be sitting at home in October.

BojackHorsefella

NY's in a bit of a rut without Judge, although having Gray out of the rotation may offset that, haha.

And I still don't trust Cleveland's bullpen. I think the Stros are safe. Although that Osuna BS is still BS.

Crewe

Well Cleveland will get their division, Boston and NY will claim the other division and WC leaving the West title. We haven't been doing so great lately and with the A's and M's only 5 out....who knows.

The Osuna thing...man, many here are disappointed, me included.
Im really torn because we all tend, or at least me, want to stay away from these types of players.
But now that we have him, I had to look around and see if theres anything to suggest he may be innocent. The MLB suspension is not connected to a legal outcome and I understand they have their own guys looking into these allegations but thats still a big hole.
I can't find out anything about the incident so I really don't even know what it was he supposedly did or how it looks evidence wise.
I do know that no matter what, barring a complete exoneration by the courts and MLB, he will be tagged as an abuser, and maybe rightfully so and I really hate that for this team, I truly do. No matter how well they do, they will all be shamed and then you have guys like Verlander, who are very outspoken (see former Astro Vasquez recently) who will be put in a bad situation.
And then you have, if he is guilty, the whole second chance discussion.
Right now, I just feel we should have stayed away. I really trust and respect Luhnow and he obviously has more insight to this than I do, and I believe him to be honest and moral, but its really the stigma of the whole situation, takes away from winning ball games.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on August 04, 2018, 03:50:59 PM
NY's in a bit of a rut without Judge, although having Gray out of the rotation may offset that, haha.

And I still don't trust Cleveland's bullpen. I think the Stros are safe. Although that Osuna BS is still BS.

you sure about that?  :(

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on August 19, 2018, 06:37:32 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on August 04, 2018, 03:50:59 PM

you sure about that?  :(

In my defense, I'm known to be a jinx.

BojackHorsefella

Got to see my boys in Seattle today.

Thai, we should meet up for one of these next year.

thaima1shu

Quote from: Bucfever on September 09, 2018, 05:46:36 PM
Got to see my boys in Seattle today.

Thai, we should meet up for one of these next year.

Yeah I'd be up for it. Maybe early in the season when I'm still optimistic and not emotionally beaten down lol.

BojackHorsefella

Haha, fair. I was thinking when the Yanks were in town specifically.