Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 07:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Movie Review Thread  (Read 14274 times)

Online BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Review Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »
killjoy

I'd deny it but I try to be honest these days.

Online BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
It's uh....4 days later, and I've already dropped Endgame from a 4-star to a 2.5-star on my Letterbox'd review and dropped it 9 spots in my 2019 rankings.

I had a ticket to see it again yesterday and chose not to. The more I think about it, the less and less I like this movie.

So, I kept buying a ticket to see this movie again and kept skipping the movie (not like I was losing any money considering AMC Stubs List). I just wasn't sure I wanted to spend another 3 hours in the theater for a movie I'd already seen, plus I had those conflicted feelings.

Well, over a month (and, like, 7 tickets purchased) later, I finally saw it for the second time and enjoyed it much more. I feel like the movie was a lot more consistent than I'd given it credit for, and most of the "plot holes" it genuinely does answer at the start (even some of the, uh, more fantastical elements (still trying to do spoiler-free) make more sense, at least with the rules this movie establishes).

It's my #6 of the year, and I raised it back up to 3.5 stars. I feel this is acceptable.

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
Did anyone else see Brightburn?

This movie was great in concept but fell just short of greatness.  It was filmed well.  The acting was good.  The story was acceptable.  It just missed the little extra that sets movies apart.  I think its worth a watch but would only give it a 6.5 on a 10 point scale. 

Trailer below if you don't know the movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2019, 06:16:10 PM »
I don't get why they release trailers like this, I mean, I feel like I don't even need to see the film now.
Ill add it to my list though, because, you never know  ;)

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
I don't get why they release trailers like this, I mean, I feel like I don't even need to see the film now.
Ill add it to my list though, because, you never know  ;)

I agree but in this case, they kinda had to get the point across that its a horror movie.  Didn't want people expecting super hero and taking their kid to it.  At least that's what I expect would be their reasoning.

Online BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
Yeah, and I was surprised by some of the horror elements in Brightburn still. It feels more like a horror film than a "super" type film, which was good, because it could have easily been a less-scary, effects-laden "horror" movie that failed completely.

I liked it for what it was. On its surface, it's a pretty straight forward horror film with the slasher essentially as the main character (although mom obviously does a lot of the heavylifting for the non-super moments). I also like the credits scene that suggests something bigger (and includes a blink and you miss it spotting of Rainn Wilson's character from James Gunn's Super, also an excellent movie).

I think the themes it deals with, themes of entitlement and abuse of power, aren't necessarily anything new, but reshaping them into this teenage boy, around the time of puberty, in 2019 culture provides a further dialogue for the discussion we should be having, although the movie doesn't do much to really explore the questions it's bringing up, because there's killing to be done.

The ending honestly surprised me a bit, mileage will likely vary on that one. Is it worth seeing in a theater? Eh, maybe. Definitely worth at least one watch on Netflix.

But yeah, fortunately I successfully avoided that second trailer because watching it after the film, it revealed a LOT.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7667
  • Total Topics: 624
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 64
  • (November 12, 2019, 09:08:41 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 4
Total: 5