Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 08:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Movies Thread  (Read 17188 times)

Offline TheNorm

• Administrator
  • All Conference Team
  • I Stand With Immigrants
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »
I don't think I've watched any of those in a very long time so my memories are vague, but those memories aren't good for the most part lol. I'd agree that TPM was rescued by Duel and Maul/Kenobi/Jinn. The love interest scenes in AotC pretty much ruined the second for me, and there just wasn't enough in the plot development arc to keep me interested. RotS was the best of the three, but even then that's not saying much because it's still worse than anything that's dropped since. The action scenes carried the movie.

As grateful as I am to George Lucas for this universe...his three prequels were just poorly executed IMO and might've done better in more capable hands.
Immigrants Built America

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
I don't think I've watched any of those in a very long time so my memories are vague, but those memories aren't good for the most part lol. I'd agree that TPM was rescued by Duel and Maul/Kenobi/Jinn. The love interest scenes in AotC pretty much ruined the second for me, and there just wasn't enough in the plot development arc to keep me interested. RotS was the best of the three, but even then that's not saying much because it's still worse than anything that's dropped since. The action scenes carried the movie.

As grateful as I am to George Lucas for this universe...his three prequels were just poorly executed IMO and might've done better in more capable hands.

I remember having discussions back then after TPM about someone else taking the reins. Always a great what if...

Offline BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
Saw two films this weekend, and also one older film for the first time in my life.

That film was 10 Things I Hate About You. It was good! Did you know it was filmed in Seattle? I didn't! Now I know.

Anyways.

The Lighthouse - I am a sucker for A24 films, and I saw Robert Eggers' previous directorial effort, The VVitch. I liked this film more than that one, which could be slowly paced at times. This film, at a mere 90 minutes, breezes by and there really isn't a slow point, despite there being only two actors: Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

Recreating a small island home to a lighthouse and nothing more, in the 1820s, is an incredible task. Filming it in black and white is a bold choice. Using lenses from the 1820s* is....even more bold, and the aspect ratio did take some getting used to. But the opening shot, of a ship emerging from cloudy waters, immediately transported me back to vintage film, and I knew I was in for an experience. Highly recommend. Just an all-out class on filmmaking.

The second movie I saw won the Palme D'Or recently.

Parasite- Now, there has been a lot of praise for Parasite, and I do NOT disagree. It is an exceptional film, and after Roma's run last year, I could very much see this being considered for an Oscar. But, of course, it's been labelled with the dreaded "horror" tag (While Bong Joon-Ho is known as a horror auteur, I don't know that it applies here. There are horror elements, but if elements add up to horror then Eighth Grade is also a horror film), so that may hurt its Oscar chances, but it's story and its characters are timely and real.

A young man, Ki-Woo, and his family live in basically a basement apartment: Him, his sister, and their parents. When Ki-Woo's friend, Min, offers him the chance to replace him as tutor to a rich girl while Min studies abroad, Ki-Woo leaps at the chance despite not having a college degree. Min tells him not to worry, as the mom is very simple, and Ki-Woo creates a forgery of his diploma.

Once employed and making money, Ki-Woo starts to scheme, as the family is very rich. He gets his sister a job when the family's younger son, Da Song, needs an art tutor, despite the sister also not having a degree (but she is very art talented). Soon Ki-Woo is scheming to have his mom and dad replace the driver and the housekeeper. But, once his plan appears to have succeeded, is when things start to really kick into gear.

Parasite is two films. One is about a family in poverty using underhanded methods to increase their lot in life. They're con artists, but they're not actively hurting the family, which is how they justify what they're doing, despite having to replace two of the family's employees.

Meanwhile, the rich Park family is played for laughs at times, but never malice. The only malicious statement that is made concerns the smell of Kim Ki-taek, the father of the poor family who takes over as driver. It's such a straightforward, immensely personal slight, and works so well to set the audience (us) into a rage.

It's an interesting movie that makes you question your sympathy, until a third act twist that blows everything up. Suffice to say, this is as much about the violence and malice of the 1% as it is the impoverished taking a "crabs in a barrel" approach to life.

I think The Lighthouse is my second favorite film of the year (with all my hang-ups regarding death, the light-hearted "The Farewell" will be hard to take down as my #1), and I put Parasite as #3. Was a really great weekend for film for me, and further confirms my new "avoid most franchises" mandate (I think I'm superhero'd out, I'm good on the new Terminator, thanks and as for Star Wars...well, no, Star Wars I'll be seeing).

Shameless self promotion, not that I make any money off of my Letterboxd, but I always post a quick "is it worth it" review and add it to my rankings for that year after I see a new film:

https://letterboxd.com/bucfever/list/2019-films-ive-watched-ranking/

*I was way off on the lens details. From IMDB:

Since the film is set in 1890, it was shot on 35mm black and white Double-X 5222 film, all while augmenting the Panavision Millennium XL2 camera with vintage Baltar lenses from as early as 1918 to as late as 1938. This makes the aspect ratio approximately 1.19:1, which is practically square. To enhance the image and make it resemble early photography, a custom cyan filter made by Schneider Filters emulated the look and feel of orthochromatic film from the late 19th century.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:52:07 PM by BojackHorsefella »

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7668
  • Total Topics: 624
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 232
  • (Today at 12:48:19 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13