Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 11:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Movies Thread  (Read 41721 times)

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Both the documentary and the movie are worth watching.  They were very well done.

You a big race fan?

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Both the documentary and the movie are worth watching.  They were very well done.

You a big race fan?

Not really but I like a good documentary and a good movie and both fit that bill.  Not to mention this story had a David vs goliath spin, America vs. Europe spin , sticktuitivness vs pessimism spin to it, all of which appeal to me so... I like racing in a passing sort of way but I really just like a well made historically based story.   

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »

You a big race fan?

Not really but I like a good documentary and a good movie and both fit that bill.  Not to mention this story had a David vs goliath spin, America vs. Europe spin , sticktuitivness vs pessimism spin to it, all of which appeal to me so... I like racing in a passing sort of way but I really just like a well made historically based story.

Im on board with that opinion. I felt it had a bit of crossover appeal but Im biased so I wasnt sure

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 19, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »
Trial of the Chicago 7
Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

You know I love films based on true stories, docs and the like so I was eager to see this one.
I haven't done much reading about this though and what I had read I didnt retain all that well so this was to be even more of an experience.
This is the story about the trial of 7 (8 originally) defendants charged with crossing state lines to incite a riot during the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968.
The underlying tone, which was true, was that it was a political witch hunt to stamp out the peace nicks, hippies and quell the protests so Nixon could steamroll forward with his agenda.
Nixon and current Attorney General (The Wire's John Doman) wanted "revenge" if you will because outgoing AG, Ramsey Clark (played beautifully by Michael Keaton) investigated and declined to pursue charges regarding the riots because he found no federal laws were broken.
Jason Gordon-Levitt plays Federal Prosecutor Richard Schultz who was handpicked to prosecute the case.
Sacha Baron Cohen plays rebel rouser Abbie Hoffman to a bonafide T in my opinion and has such great chemistry with the rest of the cast, matter of fact, they all seemed to gel pretty well.
I think though, Mark Rylance as William Kunstler was tremendous. His courtroom demeanor played well and above all, accurate, to me anyway. Obviously I wasnt there, but based on my court experiences, yea, just well done.

If you are familiar with Aaron Sorkin, you will recognize his work straight away, and if you are a fan of his, even moreso.
It was a well told story, interweaving real news footage with his film to reflect the tragedy and horror of what transpired, but at the same time, he doesnt hit you over the head with his message in these instances. The 7 really feels more lighthearted, almost like a buddy comedy. Relying on heavy dialog (hey, it's a trial AND Aaron Sorkin) and art direction to capture the essence of the era, Sorkin tees it up.

While watching this film I was noting certain things I wanted to check out, as I do with most 'based on a true story' presentations.
There were no real over the top cartoony like instances but there were some courtroom scenes where I told myself, no way.
Courtroom movies usually almost always bother me because they are almost always full of shit. However, when I looked this one up it turns out an abundance of information was taken from the court transcripts. Ok, wow. That happened.
I dont think Im spoiling this when I tell you it just so happens that Sorkin even toned down or omitted a few instances instead of cranking up the theatrics. I found that to be quite interesting.

The Trail of the Chicago Seven was a story that needed to be told. It's the perfect time for it because we are in a similar situation right now. Obviously we won't learn from it as we never learn from the past but still, it is an entertaining and informative watch that balances caustic and witty dialogue with tragedy anger and empathy.
Watch this and lets discuss

4.5/5

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:45:47 PM by Crewe »

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 48
  • Latest: lurees
Stats
  • Total Posts: 9059
  • Total Topics: 669
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 900