Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2021, 12:48:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Movies Thread  (Read 48072 times)

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
In the meantime, I'm really disappointed in some upcoming reboots and remakes:

Nutty Professor (no Murphy)
Carrie (limited TV series)
House Party
Indecent Proposal
The Crow - still
Conan the Barbarian - Amazon TV series
Mighty Ducks - TV
Three Musketeers - not much info, but apparently Mission Impossible style
Stripes - TV series, by far the most disappointing
License to Drive
Terms of Endearment
Splash - Gender reversed remake wtf
Highlander, again
Green Lantern - there was one already?
The Great Outdoors - Kevin Hart starring. So I take it back, this is the worst.
American Werewolf in London - female wolf this time
Logan's Run - franchise
I know What you did last summer
Big Trouble in Little China - The Rock and booo!
Bewitched - T series but now it will be an interracial thing
Grease - spinoff  ::)
Clueless
Many Saints of Newark - Sopranos prequel starring Gandolfini's son portraying him in a setting of Newark during the riots in the 60's
Frasier - continuation
Nash Bridges - continuation
Practical Magic - prequel
Dexter - TV limited series. This is supposed to be a 10 ep project that focuses on Dexter after his self imposed exile.

Animated remakes
Gremlins
Good Times

Out of all this crapola, the only ones I'm interested in are Dexter, Many Saints and Frasier.
Out of those, I'm sure Frasier will be the most successful.
Many Saints is one I really want to see as well since Im a huge Sopranos fan. I dont think it will be terrible, but Im not wholly confident it will be a masterpiece like it's predecessor.
Dexter was really good the first 4 seasons or maybe 5, cant recall. But, the stuffed shirts interfered and fucking ruined it.
I sincerely hope Hall, et al can recover and give this show a proper send off.

I sincerely hope Stripes and Great outdoors never get made or fail on a massive scale.
Why would you name a TV show Stripes? It is going to have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original in any way shape form or fashion.
No character connection, no era connection, no story connection no nothing. It's about a bunch of misfits in the army. Just call it something else and stop trying to live off the name like that shitty Lethal Weapon TV experiment.
kevin Hart isn't funny to me and I can see right now it's just going to be a standup comedy hour for Hart.
Again, just trying to ride off of the name, there's no reason at all to reboot it.
As much as I hate it, at least the female Ghostbusters idea was legit.
Andy btw, Splash can fuck right off too...

Offline BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2020, 05:04:55 PM »
It's just name recognition. Marvel created a movie studio and printed money because of all their recognized properties, and DC more-or-less did the same teaming up with WB. Now every studio wants to mine their own back log of previous hits to try to create either "connected universes" (such as the failed Dark Universe) or the "sequel-reboot," i.e. the upcoming Ghostbusters where the original cast is involved to pass the torch and then they can continue the franchise like that was the plan all along. Studios, TV or movie, don't want anything that isn't a "franchise." Outside of maybe streaming services (Netflix, and not streaming but HBO too), most studios are looking for "how long can this show/movie franchise go on" from the initial pitch, whereas Netflix and HBO seem to be somewhat better at saying either A) you've gone on long enough (more Netflix) or B) just having a set number of seasons per the creator (I'll note that Mad Men and Breaking Bad both, I believe, had a set number of seasons established by their creator. Vincent Gilligan (who did BB) also said Better Call Saul will end at 6).

It's gross. Prior to Marvel and DC, there was what, like, maybe James Bond that had X amount of movies, and that was it? You were lucky to get a trilogy, and you only got a sequel if the first was a hit, not "we're ready to announce a sequel as long as it doesn't lose money," which we've also seen happen. It sucks, and it's the business side of movies taking agency away from the creative/original side.

But especially in 2020, when people turned up to stream Mulan (basically a superhero movie), WW84 and the other mainstream movies (Tenet, I'm sure, once it's available) and disregarded other original movies or genre fare (Palm Springs, The Assisant, Bacarau, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, First Cow), I don't see things getting any better.

Then again, I heard people complaining that "Hollywood's run out of ideas" since I was a kid in the 90s. I feel like we saw more book adaptations back then (even if we didn't realize they were book adaptations. Looking at you, Die Hard) but not quite the catalog cannibalization we're seeing of late.

There's a few directors and/or studios though who fight the good fight. A24, Neon, Bong-Joon Ho, Charlie Kauffman, Scorsese still hits on all cylinders. There's good stuff out there, and more coming, but yeah, I'm a bit sick of franchises at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:07:44 PM by BojackHorsefella »

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 29, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
yea that's what I was suggesting, just name recognition and it's absolute shit.
I get your point about wanting a franchise, but also as you note, not everyone does it, I mean some shows are planned for more seasons to start then are abruptly canceled which is the other side of the negative coin.
Programs like Fleabag which ran its course in two seasons was phenomenal, but that's a rarity.

The Hollywood is out of ideas thing is quite old and true, many didnt realize there were as many adaptations such as Die Hard and First Blood.

When I was growing up, I cold rattle off every single movie at the theaters at any given time. Back then, it had to be at the movies first, then it took like almost a year for it to get to home video in the early 80's. Then during the hey day of cable, you'd see some direct to video releases but really not all that many. But now? Shit. With so many avenues, I couldnt tell you ten films that have been at the theaters this year, or last, since, you know, Covid.

There is good stuff but it's harder to find, at least for me.

On a side note about franchises' I really really liked First Blood.
Deeper message, no over the top super hero shit. And part II had the makings of another great film but they just went all action movie on us and ruined it. Die Hard, same thing. Just an ordinary guy trying to stay alive, but by Die Hard II, he's super action hero suddenly.
Granted Rocky didnt go down the shitter until III, but still.
I just think they do a disservice to their characters in order grab some cash.
Nobody thinks Die Hard and oh what a great movie that was, they think Die Hard, the same action movie made what, 4 times? 5 times now? I dont even know. Rocky? Rambo? Still? What a joke....they just kill their original films that were so good.

Offline BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
Granted Rocky didnt go down the shitter until III, but still.
I just think they do a disservice to their characters in order grab some cash.
Nobody thinks Die Hard and oh what a great movie that was, they think Die Hard, the same action movie made what, 4 times? 5 times now? I dont even know. Rocky? Rambo? Still? What a joke....they just kill their original films that were so good.

I think that's partly why the trilogy works so well. It's essentially an extended 3-act play, comprised of other 3-act plays, haha. You've got a beginning, middle, and what should be an end, and can sort of explore from there.

That being said, I'd say outside of James Bond and the MCU, Rocky's one of the only other franchises I can think of that stated it's case past three movies. Everyone loves Rocky IV, and even though V is garbage, Balboa was considered a big comeback at the time, and the Creed movies have been an absolute hit. Especially looking forward to Creed III since Michael B Jordan is going to direct it as well as star now.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
yea no doubt the Creed flicks are awesome and I really liked Balboa despite it being a film so deep in to the franchise.
Sorta like Rambo for me, I liked it too.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 48
  • Latest: lurees
Stats
  • Total Posts: 9279
  • Total Topics: 672
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 900
  • (January 21, 2020, 03:13:19 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0