Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 03:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The TV thread  (Read 16401 times)

Online Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
Re: The TV thread
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »
Just watched making a murderer s2.
For me, it's really compelling to see the legal system at work in this process and to hear arguments from both sides.
I've listened to lawyers dissect a seven word sentence in a civil procedure rule book that seemed black and white to me, but that's interesting and educational, if not frustrating at times.
As for this show, 10 eps same as the first season.
This follows Avery's attorney as she attempts to dismantle the states case and takes the viewer through multiple court hearings and motions. It's a fascinating peek into a stressful, demanding, time consuming process. I don't really give a shit about the family stuff, some of its pertinent but most of its filler depicting the hardships of the Avery family which we were subjected to in S1.

And not for nothing, but I'm curious, does anyone believe that Dassey confession was not coerced?

Online Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
House of Cards S6

Im a fan of Robin Wright, and she was wonderful in the final season of HoC sans Frank Underwood.
However, the show had ben sloping downward and it jumped off the cliff in its last hurrah.
They strip stories from today's world which is certainly welcomed, and performances by the ageless Diane Lane plus Greg Kinnear add needed depth to the story, but recurring flat characters and a narrative that is just too far outside reality, even for this day and age, is just too much.
Robin Wright did what she could and I really enjoyed her performance, but its not enough.

Online Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »
Designated Survivor S1
Kiefer Sutherland
Maggie Q

I was browsing Netflix and happened upon this series which I really had no intention of watching, but decided to give it a go.

Sutherland plays Tom Kirkman, a low end Presidential cabinet member presiding over Urban Housing. We learn he was Designated Survivor during the Presidents State of the Union and you can guess what happens since he becomes sworn in as Commander in Chief soon after we meet his character.
Kirkman is a mild mannered, soft spoken, meek but even keeled thinker who's not a Washington insider by trade, nor does he ever have such aspirations.
His Chief of Staff, Aaron Shore (Adaon Canto) is more assertive and protects his new boss with as much vigor as you can imagine he did for his previous one. He clashes early on with Emily Rhodes (Italia Ricci) who was Tom's right hand as Urban Secretary who feels as Kirkman's current staffer she should be in the right hand seat. Unlike Canto, I can't decide if Ricci is way over her head or poorly written or a combination of both, either way she's not believable in this story.
The ever smoking hot Maggie Q is Jack Bauer....I mean FBI agent Hannah Wells who is investigating the attack. Incidentally, not that I mind, but Maggie is always decked out in these supremely tight T-shirts and tops with two or three buttons unclasped and its rather obvious the intent. Or maybe she just looks tight in anything, but I digress.
President Kirkman has a Josiah Bartlett aura about him and I don't think that is unintentional here as Designated Survivor seems to blend several genres in to this project.
Soon after his inauguration, while heaving up in the restroom, he hears speechwriter Seth Wright demeaning his President, and Wright was not aware who he was talking to until he exits the stall. It's here we are introduced to the accepting Tom Kirkman who invites Wright (played expertly by Kal Penn)
to help him through this by writing a speech addressing the nation. He further nails his role as Press Secretary, a serious highlight on this show.
He and Rob Morrow produce some of the best albeit brief comedy scenes which are portrayed naturally and not forced in such a situation.

I watched this show because it was fairly high rated, but I had my reservations as it was a network tv program.
This is largely 24, hence my reference earlier to Agent Wells. It's by no means, blow everything up and kill everyone kind of 24, but you can't deny the feel. hell, even the outro music to commercials is the same as 24's was, only truncated by a mere second or two. many times I was hearing the beep boop beep boop beep
Speaking of 24, say hi to Brian Hastings, Jason Pillar and President Keeler.
We have small arcs that are tightly wrapped up ala an episodic series and never referred to again.
Ill spoiler this one
Spoiler: show
the first son is busted by mom in the White House with a huge stash of ecstasy and a wad of cash. She confronts him, he doesn't know why he did it, she lets it go and its never brought up again. I guess thy just needed a dramatic scene?

The most absurd part of this show is the timid socially awkward but unheralded mastermind IT hacker that assists Agent Wells at every road block by pounding away at his keyboard for a few seconds and then viola. Just way beyond the realm of believability.
Spoiler: show
Baddie's just walk in to the Pentagon, access the most secure network in the world and walk right out, I mean, not even in a cartoon universe would this fly.

Oh yea, and people get shot and recover instantly, never again showing signs of said wound (ok except one, but still a remarkable recovery)
T bone a car in a massive crash, get of your vehicle instantly and the bad guy is gone already. yea ok. You get where I'm going with all these examples right?

All of that said, it is an interesting walk through as a non Washington insider is vaulted to the Presidency and has to figure out how to re assemble a government from the ground up. We get glimpses in to how the news affects everything as well politics certainly, even in times like this.
Everything is pulled from today and you can grasp what that entails Im sure.
Is it worth a watch? It is if you like tv fare and there are certainly some great actors such as those Ive listed and some Ive left out include Natasha McElhone of Californication who plays the First Lady, Virginia Madsen as reigning Speaker of the House and Malik Yoba who plays Wells' boss Jason Atwood.
This is not a deep thinking show nor is it overly entertaining but there are some bright spots and some decent overall storytelling, but by and large, if I read this review first, I wouldn't watch it, to be sure.

3/5

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 44
  • Latest: Laplant
Stats
  • Total Posts: 6248
  • Total Topics: 588
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 57
  • (October 08, 2018, 12:38:48 PM)
Users Online