Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2020, 09:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The TV thread  (Read 30589 times)

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
Re: The TV thread
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »
never saw Gilmore Girls and I dont know who this lady is but when Im done with Robot, maybe Ill check it out.
My queue is essentially empty. There's some in there Im just hesitant to get ack to, Narcos for one...

Narcos was in my Que forever.  When I gave in it consumed me and I watched it all in like two weeks.  Then I watched Narcos Mexico, it was ok but not nearly as good as the original.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »
Is Narcos Mexico season two?
Ive watched the first episode of season two but it just doesn't grab me.
mainly because I was interested in Pablo

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2020, 02:27:54 PM »
Is Narcos Mexico season two?
Ive watched the first episode of season two but it just doesn't grab me.
mainly because I was interested in Pablo

I don't know maybe it's after Pablo is dead and its all-new agents dealing with the Mexican cartel.  The guy from Ant-Man is the main agent. I watched it and its ok but not as good as the original Narcos.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »
If I really get bored maybe Ill give it a run, or unless Im told it is really good but I just haven't heard much one way or the other

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2020, 12:53:36 AM »
Mandalorian
Pedro Pascal

Our main character, given name Din Djarin, is a Mandalorian bounty hunter.
This series, created by Jon Favreau, is set 5 years after Return of the Jedi and 25 years prior to TFA.
The Republic has restored order to much of the galaxy, sans the outer reaches where this story takes place.
Our Mandalorian accepts bounty jobs from the guild (Carl Weathers) and this particular one is for a small sect remaining from the fallen Empire.
Soon, we discover the package is a baby Yoda, for lack of a species identification.
After the exposition, I really was sort of on the fence about this series for a couple of reasons. One was, I couldn't figure out if it was trying to be serious or not and two, I couldn't latch on to a theme.
The episodes are short and with only 8 of them it is an extremely quick and easy watch.
We see a fusillade of one shot guest appearances from a wide range of actors such as Bill Burr, who I thought did a terrific job, given the thin nature of his script. Amy Sedaris who convincingly plays a shipping bay landlord and Natalia Tena, who by the time she shows up, was the only character that had real zest and appeal in her character.
Gina Carano, who I absolutely love and have followed since her early days at Elite XC plays Cara Dune, a Rebel Shock trooper who is now a mercenary and 
partner with Mandalorian.
Nick Nolte voices (and looks like) Kuiil, a farmer who befriends Mandalorian on one of his early quests and becomes a trusted ally as we move through the story.
The narrative of this series follows the tropes of a space western, but it really seems, I dont want to say pointlesss, because we know the plot, it just feels, compartmentalized. The early episodes were tough for me to be head over heels for because I couldn't grasp any sort of development that was supposed to be occurring within our hero.

Spoiler: show
The village episode was just sad. Bryce Dallas Howard failed miserably with the battle scenes, unable to structure a believable scenario. An AT-ST is at its desired range to relentlessly fire on defenseless villagers, but waits inexplicably while Dune almost singlehandedly gets it to take the last step, literally, in to the trap they exhaustively set.
Oh and said villagers, women, kids and teenage boys? They were all taught within hours how to fend off said AT-ST and veteran marauders who have raided the village umpteen times.
Ok, that's enough of that....

Episode to episode, we traipse through a new land with new characters in entertaining fashion but to me, the story just feels, simple.
And the entire show feels like a cross between a comic book and Xena Warrior Princess. As an avid Star Wars fan, I allow my minimal frustration to abate and the series does seem to find its legs, much like a successful program might not have a great first few episodes, or first season even until everyone and everything is fleshed out.
By seasons end, the shortcomings are there, but acceptable as we do get an established theme but the character arc is minimal, if it's there at all.

If you are remotely interested in Star Wars, you most certainly should give this a look. If you are fairly unfamiliar with Star Wars, give this a look.
If you hate Star Wars, this I dont even know why you are reading this post.
What's great about it is what we have wanted, for the Skywalker saga to end and the ability to explore the universe and the millions of potential stories out there that are tied to the OT and ST, but are not overstated. Kind of like the Tarantino universe.
The other wonderful instances are that while there are subtle nods to the OT, even as a SW fan, you might not pick em all up, but they are there and its nice to have undercooked nostalgia.
The bad things are really just storytelling bumps but if you look at it on the grand scale of the SW timeline, it certainly has a place and creates a fastener to the established stories we've already been told.
I was so excited for this because I noted that critics and fans alike had this rated wy over 90% and I thought, wow, it's impenetrable to negativity.
As I began watching, I was caught shaking my head more than a few times wondering if I was on a Biff Tannen timeline, but as I said, it works it self out if you give it a chance, and you should.

Who was that leaning over the body of Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen)? Are we to believe that A) Fennec isn't dead and/or that B) that is the much heralded Boba Fett who has returned somehow from the pit of Sarlacc? That would be the biggest return from certain death since Bobby Ewing. It is likely just another bounty hunter on the trail of Mando who arrived late.

This is a bit of a spoiler but not really, but better safe than sorry
I spoke earlier of exploring the vastness of the SW universe and in TFA we realized that it was not common knowledge regarding the Jedi, et al when Rey and Finn encountered Han Solo.
That subject is again approached in Mandalorian when in the final episode, they are discussing baby Yoda force sensitivities (they are ignorant of the force so obviously didnt state it in that manner) with the Armorer and she tells of stories of the Jedi run ins with the Mandalorian (Fett again) and all seem surprised, although Cara shouldn't have been caught off guard by that information.
Mando even asked, "Enemies?"

Ill go ahead and tag this one too
The two Stormtropers who capture baby Yoda in Ep 8 are awaiting clearance to enter the village. While they wait, its an entertaining few minutes as these two bring as much life and story to the screen as Mando did over several episodes.
One of the pair is just dying to take a look at the swaddled up Yoda while the other rejects those requests with an ensuing petulant dialog ripe with humor.

We also see one of those nods to the universe when the two are trying to kill time shooting debris akin to a canteen scene in a western missing wildly, furthering the past evidence that Stormtroopers are terrible marksmen.
While I'm here, Ill throw in this directorial flub that just grinds my gears every single time I see it.
So these two are waiting out in the dunes although quite flat in their visible range. During their discussions, the nurse droid suddenly appears and they are startled, like wth, where did you come from?
As if Ray Charles couldn't have seen nor heard that approach, I mean honestly, get freakin real would you? That occurs in several instances during this series and its just lazy storytelling. Weak weak weak.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 8033
  • Total Topics: 632
  • Online Today: 889
  • Online Ever: 900
  • (January 21, 2020, 03:13:19 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9