Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2019, 11:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Top 5 Thread  (Read 19712 times)

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: The Top 5 Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
Not to get in your business, but I will....
why do you no longer eat meat? health reasons or otherwise? Im just curious.

Fiancee was a vegetarian while living and going to school on Staten Island. She moved to Myrtle, Myrtle...doesn't accommodate that lifestyle very well, so it was no biggie.

But, moved here to Washington where it's extremely easy to eat a plant based diet, and she returned to her vegetarian ways (well, I should say, pescatarian, she couldn't give up sushi), and I figured I'd give it a whirl and started with the New Year, so, going 5 months strong now.

I did it partly to try something new. I am SUCH a picky eater, I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to hold to it, but we do those Blue Apron meals 3 times a week, and so I got to try a lot of new foods and, honestly, their vegetarian dishes were always better than their meat dishes in style and taste, so that made the transition easier.

I also had a vegan friend at the Comcast store I worked at for a year, and I talked to him about a lot of the stuff which helped me realize just how many options I had, not just in plants, but in substitutes, like Beyond Meat and those products.

So, yeah. Did it, lost weight, quit exercising, still somehow lost weight, although I've reached a plateau at 218, but still. Haven't gained a pound since I started this. My family does have a history of diabetes and heart issues, so cutting out red meat early on probably isn't a bad idea for me anyways.

But yeah. I thought I'd be miserable and it would end in failure, but I've honestly loved it so far. I've always felt a little weird eating meat ("what if reincarnation is real and I come back as a cow," a morally conflicted but self-interested 14 year old Michael used to worry about when going to sleep at night), but now I don't have that issue. And hell, leftovers, I mean obviously I'll save them for lunch, but if it's like, a really small amount, not worth saving, at least I don't have the guilt when I toss it out, haha.

Man, I'm rambling a lot today.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Thats interesting.
Im not a picky eater, at all, but could never envision me giving up meat.
No more tacos, no mor pulled pork, are you mad?  :D
When I try to eat healthier, i.e. get in shape again, I think about it, but then just by the nature of eating somewhat healthier, I find I don't eat near as much meat so I never cut it out.

I do often wonder if I should try just to see, but I have serious doubts about making it, hell I can't even not eat so much right now.
My nephew says he won't eat anything with a central nervous system. Does pescatarian fall under that category? I dunno, but I say he's a vegetarian for simplification lol

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
I think fish don't count, because supposedly fish don't feel pain? I dunno. Or maybe the kid just eats bugs (hey, SafeCo sells fried crickets, it's a thing apparently).

There's so many substitutes, and that helps a lot. Trader Joe's has amazing meatless meatballs. I think Morningstar Farms is the brand we got the last time the fiancee made homemade tacos. It's a lot of soy substitutes for a lot of them, and while they may not taste exactly like what they're subbing for, they're good in their own way.

Quorn has an incredible "stuffed chicken cutlet" with mozzarella cheese and pesto inside. Add some pasta and marinara sauce, and you've got yourself a chicken parm and pasta dish.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
I had tofu something or other at my nephews one day and I didn't have an issue with it, but I do find those substitutes to be quite expensive.

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »
Tofu is one of the few things I haven't actually tried yet, but I will. I will....

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 44
  • Latest: Laplant
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7238
  • Total Topics: 613
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 57
  • (October 08, 2018, 12:38:48 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0