Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2019, 08:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Life Thread  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
Re: The Life Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
So I was browsing a thread about The Wire and the question was brought up, what films should a Wire fan watch?
It was obviously a younger crowd, but films like Serpico, French Connection, All the Presidents Men, Chinatown and the like were touted and rightly so.
To me, these were well known films and are guys like me were surely reading this with a "well, duh" attitude.
In my mind, how could you not have seen theses films already? It kinda goes to what we discussed earlier about being tuned in to times beyond our own.
Im blown away when someone learns about Pink Floyd's record breaking appearance on the charts, or some other "everybody knows that fact."
Its the same reason I roll my eyes when some millennial breaks out with this is the "greatest xyz ever" completely oblivious to the fact that film, album, song whatever has already been done, and probably a better product to boot.
In any event, get off my lawn...

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
Of those four films, I've only seen Serpico....

I KNOW, I KNOW

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
that's a good one to see

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
So, how was everyone's holidays?

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »
food poisoning had me down for 6-7 days around Christmas. Was able to get out for Xmas Eve and Day for a bit and was 100% a day or two after.
the good side is, as you could tell by the entertainment threads here, Ive been catching up on lots and lots of my backlogged queue.
And now Ive delved into Hitchcock again...

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »

Good, or in other words boring.  The older I get the more I appreciate the beauty of boring.  Spent xmas and new years with just the wife and kids.  So it was a relaxed and enjoyable holiday season for us.

Offline cflnut

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
My holidays started on November 21, and I go back to work on January 7. So I'll say mine were pretty good. Outside of the normal holiday dinner at my sisters place, I got together with some friends I hadn't had the chance to see for a wile. I did however spend most of my time at home relaxing with the cats, and the PS4. 
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Offline TheNorm

• Administrator
  • Starter
  • I Stand With Immigrants
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 02:42:22 AM »

Not bad. Brother came into Chicago so the family was able to hangout together for Christmas, then drove back in to Michigan on the 28th and got to hangout with friends for a few days here. One nice thing about being a travel nurse now is that since my holiday pay is pretty damn high, the hospitals typically donít want to schedule me for them. 👍🏽

Other than that, it was nice to just relax.
Immigrants Built America

Offline Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Forgot about my own, heh.

Went back to Myrtle Beach for the first time since leaving back in 2017 (well, slight lie. We were there for literally one night after the cruise, the ship docked in Charleston, we rode back with her mom and sis to Myrtle and flew back out the next day).

But, yeah. I stayed at my mom and dad's, she stayed at her mom's place, so that part sucked. Had a good xmas eve with her side though, Christmas day with mine and had kiddo after noon on that day. Fiancee left on the 26th to visit the rest of her family in Pennsylvania, I stuck around and met up with some old friends, saw plenty of movies with kiddo (none of them good, sadly. Well, Bumblebee was actually OK, but Aquaman  and Vice were a mess. Although we DID see Die Hard in theaters on the following Sunday, so that was cool).

Highlight was probably either the sushi dinner with friends or an entire day of playing board games (starting with "Who Goes There?" and never quite finishing the "Firefly" board game).

But, yeah, good time. On New Years Eve I flew to DC and met back up with the fiancee (we had flown into DC, she'd rented a car, we drove into MB, and then she drove that car back to PA. Cheaper to return it to the same airport so we flew back out of DC and she met me there when I flew back in), hung out and flew back home to celebrate the New Year.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on improving cognitive abilities?
if times are not good, I tend to have sinking spells that are tough to overcome.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 44
  • Latest: Laplant
Stats
  • Total Posts: 6563
  • Total Topics: 594
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 57
  • (October 08, 2018, 12:38:48 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0