Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 12:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: Do You Remember.....  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Remember.....
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »
Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.

Not once have I been able to have a meaningful conversation via text. its fine for when and where type stuff and one liners, but Ive been in trouble more than once because all tone and intent is lost in translation and the next thing you know you're arguing on the internet, basically lol
Agree completely! Text is great for quick messages but not for "real" conversations.  Just like these boards, all intent or subtlety is lost without face to face conversation.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.

Not once have I been able to have a meaningful conversation via text. its fine for when and where type stuff and one liners, but Ive been in trouble more than once because all tone and intent is lost in translation and the next thing you know you're arguing on the internet, basically lol
Agree completely! Text is great for quick messages but not for "real" conversations.  Just like these boards, all intent or subtlety is lost without face to face conversation.

I think a forum like this is a few rungs up the ladder from texting or say, tweeting, but yea, I do agree. Tone, intent and the like surely get lost or inferred incorrectly, but it does lend itself to a more detailed conversation. Just my opinion though

Offline Rigg44

• Practice Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »

I think a forum like this is a few rungs up the ladder from texting or say, tweeting, but yea, I do agree. Tone, intent and the like surely get lost or inferred incorrectly, but it does lend itself to a more detailed conversation. Just my opinion though
Agree that these forums provide more context than texting but all written word is subject to the same shortfalls, be it email, forums, text or an old fashioned written letter.  None of those can convey meaning or intent the same way the spoken word can.  If they could we would have candidates submit their thoughts in written form rather than holding debates.

Online Bucfever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »

Agree that these forums provide more context than texting but all written word is subject to the same shortfalls, be it email, forums, text or an old fashioned written letter.  None of those can convey meaning or intent the same way the spoken word can.  If they could we would have candidates submit their thoughts in written form rather than holding debates.

After watching the debates last night, I might be willing to accept this as an alternative despite the pitfalls that have been described. :D

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 44
  • Latest: Laplant
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7238
  • Total Topics: 613
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 57
  • (October 08, 2018, 12:38:48 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1