News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Realignment 2022: Electric Boogaloo

Started by TheNorm, July 03, 2022, 10:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Apparently in response to Texas and OU making the move to join the SEC in a few seasons, supposedly USC reached out to the B1G in hopes of possibly joining their ranks...fast forward to just a few days ago and we have USC and UCLA joining the B1G (I'm not calling this the Big Ten anymore, it hasn't been 10 teams since the early 90s and the name should've gone out the window forever once Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers joined the fray). Current B1G conference members unanimously agreed to allow them in (good for Northwestern, it's the only way they'll get to Pasadena anytime soon).

Rumors are already flying that we're not done here, with other teams from the Pac-12 and maybe the ACC jumping ship to the B1G or SEC. This likely ends up with two super conferences with 20 teams each (for now anyway). I'm personally hoping this somehow ends up with Hawai'i ending up in the ACC or Big East.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on July 03, 2022, 10:19:05 AM
Apparently in response to Texas and OU making the move to join the SEC in a few seasons, supposedly USC reached out to the B1G in hopes of possibly joining their ranks...fast forward to just a few days ago and we have USC and UCLA joining the B1G (I'm not calling this the Big Ten anymore, it hasn't been 10 teams since the early 90s and the name should've gone out the window forever once Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers joined the fray). Current B1G conference members unanimously agreed to allow them in (good for Northwestern, it's the only way they'll get to Pasadena anytime soon).

Rumors are already flying that we're not done here, with other teams from the Pac-12 and maybe the ACC jumping ship to the B1G or SEC. This likely ends up with two super conferences with 20 teams each (for now anyway). I'm personally hoping this somehow ends up with Hawai'i ending up in the ACC or Big East.

I think when its all said and done there will be only 2 to 3 conferences playing D1 or the former group of 5. I think it will be the SEC and B1G and then maybe ACC or some cobbled conference of pac 12/big 12/acc merger left overs.

I do think Notre Dame will be forced into a conference. The big 10 and SEC could tell conferences you want to make the playoffs? you have to have full members in a conference. Besides why would NBC pay 75million for essential 6 or 7 game inventory when ABC/ESPN/CBS or fox are paying 100 million for 20 games a week

I can see this playing out

SEC/B1G will court Notre Dame. They will either join them or Save the ACC and join them and make them relevant.

The SEC will court Notre Dame and try for some sort of North Carolina and Virginia (or Va. Tech not both)  and a long Shot of Colorado / Iowa st or a kansas school to get to 20.

The B1G will court Notre Dame and do something similar with Oregon, North Carolina, Virginia, maybe even go after a Miami FSU Clemson .

This is about expanding TV viewership not about borders and regional alignment. The SEC will not go after Clemson or FSU because they are in those markets already. FSU fans watch Florida, USC fans watch Clemson and vice versa. The days of being in the conference with a team from the same state are over for this version of College football.

I know SEC added Texas after A&M but if you are big conference, you Dont turn down Texas, Notre Dame, OU, USC, Bama, OSU, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina if they want to join your Conference. Florida, USC and Georgia have kept Clemson FSU and Ga Tech from joining (or rejoining after they left). Although When the SEC expanded in the late 80's adding Ark and USC, UF was going to allow FSU but they declined. That invite went to USC.

I think Notre Dame if they dont join the B1G or SEC then they will join the ACC or some hybrid of the leftovers and make that conference relevant. ND doesnt want to join and may join another league to spite the 2 big behemoths.

These are my opinions based on what I have heard and read and deduced from my time working in the TV industry for years. I could be totally wrong, but I think I may be on to something LOL.

But right now, Big 10, SEC, and Notre Dame will shape the future of college football.

Rigg44

I agree with everything you said and hate everything about it.  I know the reasoning for the changes and the financial benefit of it all.  With the new rules regarding student-athletes and their ability to earn while they play financials have become even more important in the college football landscape. I don't blame them for doing what they can to stay relevant but I think we are losing much more than we are gaining when it comes to college football.