News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Preseason Musings

Started by TheNorm, August 18, 2014, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

So...is it just me or are the flags flying a mile a minute here so far? Good grief, seems like if you look a receiver funny you get called for it.

Apparently Johnny Doucheball flipped off the Washington bench on his way back to the huddle tonight. I'm totally okay with this.

I know the NFL was only doing it the first couple of weeks, but I liked the experiment of having the XP attempts from further back.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Redskins deserve everything they get ;-)
PI is going to be worse and far more inconsistent than it was last year which truly aggravates me.
Im at the point where I care less about football with each season and I really hate that.

TheNorm

Haha, f*ck Washington and f*ck Dan Snyder too.
Yeah, PI is gonna suck for the very near future, but I think one of two things happen: either the refs let up if they can't figure it out, or (more likely) the players adjust. They usually do.
As for not caring: is it because of the myriad rule changes or is it just life in general? I do care, but the Lions turned the NFL into high comedy for me a very long time ago. :D
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Jerry Jones has made me go ho hum for NFL football. My 2nd team was the chiefs and they have sucked since Shottenhiemer left.

Crewe

it's mostly the rule changes norm.  Plus I hate when they send out an edict to enforce rules already written.  Perhaps I'm reaching a bit, but that really aggravates the hell out of me, regardless of which sport.
The NFL wants points and the bet way to do that is to hinder the defense and they've done a masterful job and even that wouldn't bother me so much if they would oh I don't know, teach all of the refs the same exact thing?
You see a flag on one game, then the very same act, usually double the magnitude of the so called infraction and nobody acknowledges it, at all.  On the field, booth, sports center, everywhere. Simply astounding.
And while Im at it, these announcers aren't helping to harness my joy for the game.  All of their supposition, sensationalistic tendencies and outright self righteousness tear through my soul.
Perfect example, that dolt Billick on Dez last year, enough said.
It's just ... not so much fun as it used to be.

bigbaldben

Quote from: Crewe on August 20, 2014, 07:41:41 PM
it's mostly the rule changes norm.  Plus I hate when they send out an edict to enforce rules already written.  Perhaps I'm reaching a bit, but that really aggravates the hell out of me, regardless of which sport.
The NFL wants points and the bet way to do that is to hinder the defense and they've done a masterful job and even that wouldn't bother me so much if they would oh I don't know, teach all of the refs the same exact thing?
You see a flag on one game, then the very same act, usually double the magnitude of the so called infraction and nobody acknowledges it, at all.  On the field, booth, sports center, everywhere. Simply astounding.
And while Im at it, these announcers aren't helping to harness my joy for the game.  All of their supposition, sensationalistic tendencies and outright self righteousness tear through my soul.
Perfect example, that dolt Billick on Dez last year, enough said.
It's just ... not so much fun as it used to be.

Yeah, I love offense and points, but it doesn't seem like you can even have a truly great defense anymore with all the rules favoring the offense. 

I don't know if it's not as much fun or if I'm just getting old.   ??? 

Crewe

bigbaldben

thaima1shu

Thought this was funny

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo  16m
Seahawks fined over $300k for contact in spring practices, as @mortreport said. Source says fights in minicamp caught NFLPA's attention.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo  15m
League looked at tape of entire practice and deemed Seahawks coaches were encouraging too much contact.