News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on March 12, 2021, 04:41:07 AM
Not that I've got an eye on a PS5 anytime soon, but since we're at the tail end of the PS4 era...

Top Five PS4 Games I've Played

1. Spider-Man - the amount of care and devotion that Insomniac put into this game and this story was just incredible. It really did feel like an MCU movie to me, and it was really hard for me to put down. NYC looked absolutely stunning and felt like big city life. The characters were well done too. Photo mode was fun to mess around with. I couldn't put this one down.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2018 gave us some incredible games, and this one...wow. Loved playing as Arthur Morgan, and the world that Rockstar built was simply epic. The interactions with the gang were amazing, and you know they did a great job with the characters when you'd get a little bummed when some would meet their demise while you simply couldn't wait to send another character on the express to Hell (yeah Micah).

3. Ghost of Tsushima - what a swan song for the PS4, with some of the best graphics and gameplay on the console. Compelling story too, with interesting side characters that help round out Jin's story. Honestly, I go back and forth on switching this one and RDR2 on this list.

4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - to me, this game was better than The Stick of Truth. It felt like a really great episode of South Park and just like the show wasn't afraid to cross boundaries. There were moments in this game where I had to pause it for a few minutes because I simply couldn't stop laughing. I really need to play through this again, it's been a few years.

5. Grand Theft Auto V - feels weird putting a game that dropped during the tail end of the PS3 era and was ported over to PS4, but the story was good and the graphical upgrade...wow. This game might even be higher (and maybe RDR2 perhaps) if Rockstar actually added more standalone single player offline stories like they did in the past (think back to RDR1 and GTA IV) but they only give a fuck about the online modes now. Props to them though, they've made the online mode so great that it's still thriving in 2021...so much so that this will carry over to the PS5 too. Maybe sometime during the PS5 life cycle we'll actually get a GTA VI.

Sure I missed quite a few (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4) but if I didn't finish them they weren't making the list. Might also be the first list for me where a console didn't release a sports title that was good enough for me to add here...NBA 2K20 would be the closest.

Your turn.

I swear I thought I responded to this....

1) GTAV - first game I tried and very nearly accomplished 100% with

2) Spider Man - first game where I did accomplish 100% completion, twice.

3) RDR II - love the genre and loved this game and again achieved 100%

4) MLB series - this was an annual purchase for me

5) LOU 2 - I really enjoyed Uncharted 1 and 2 but for me, this one was much better.

Crewe

This is a good one.
Ill post in the spirit of avoiding duplication;

My first one is an A) and B)
1A) I'd sooner kiss a Wookie!
1B) I can arrange that!
-Han and Leia

This one has been in my lexicon since it aired:
2) We're fine, we're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
-Han Solo

3) I'm altering the deal, pray I don't alter it further
-Vader

4) Han Solo the rebellion general?
No, the smuggler
-Rey and Finn

So relevant these last few years.
5) So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.
-Padmé Amidala

Honorable Mention
I never ask that question until after I've done it
-Han Solo

BojackHorsefella

Eff it, I'll double up.

Top 5 PS3 Games, to the best of my busted memory's ability

5. Arkham Asylum - Hard for me to decide between this and City, but Arkham's such a confident introduction to this series, and the fact that they made a Batman game that was A) incredibly fun to play, and B) perhaps even ushered in the gaming review phrase "makes you feel like you're actually ______," which in this case obviously meant Batman and would later go on to mean Spider-Man during a particular PS4 game. But yeah, tight story here, excellent level design that allows you to really utilize all your gadgets throughout the gameplay, and a fighting style that allowed you to fight multiple combatants at once without being overwhelmed. You know, just like Batman!

4. NCAA Football 14 - Enough said on this one, around these parts. Makes me want to grab a PS3 just to replay it as I brutalize myself with a co-op Madden 20 franchise, but the depth behind Dynasty mode combined with just fluid gameplay made for an all-time NCAAF game.

3. MLB: The Show '08 - My first go-round with The Show, and holds sentimental value for me as I had a co-op franchise with my best friend and roommate at the time (Yanks vs Blue Jays!).

2. Last Of Us - Cheating a bit here as I can't remember a lot of the PS3 games I played, and PRETTY sure I played this one on PS4 when I first played it, but eff it. Another one with an excellent story, and gameplay that balanced the line between Uncharted style cover-shoot action, and a stealth horror game.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - been an MGS fan since the 1st one on the Playstation (never played Metal Gear 1 or 2 on the NES, haha). Four's gameplay is more of what we'd come to expect from the series, with Metal Gear Solid 3's camo being expanded into a single camo suit that adapts to your surroundings when you pick a good spot. What amazes me to this day is that somehow, this game ties up ALLLLLLLLL the loose ends from the previous entries for a story that felt like it had blown up and spiraled out of control, yet somehow was wrapped with a neat bow by Hideo Kojima. Unfortunately you can't start with this game, it'll absolutely make no sense, but if you ever want to play through a single-player quadrilogy, MGS-MGS4 is the way to go. You won't be disappointed.

Never play MGS V. Don't do it.

Top 5 Iconic Star Wars Quotes

Norm took some good ones, so let me go with some outliers:

5. "Was a boring conversation anyway."

4. "Your overconfidence is your weakness."
"Your faith in your friends is yours."

3. "You weak-minded fool! He's using an old Jedi mind trick."

2. "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

1. "Never tell me the odds!"

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 04, 2021, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on March 12, 2021, 04:41:07 AM
Not that I've got an eye on a PS5 anytime soon, but since we're at the tail end of the PS4 era...

Top Five PS4 Games I've Played

1. Spider-Man - the amount of care and devotion that Insomniac put into this game and this story was just incredible. It really did feel like an MCU movie to me, and it was really hard for me to put down. NYC looked absolutely stunning and felt like big city life. The characters were well done too. Photo mode was fun to mess around with. I couldn't put this one down.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 2018 gave us some incredible games, and this one...wow. Loved playing as Arthur Morgan, and the world that Rockstar built was simply epic. The interactions with the gang were amazing, and you know they did a great job with the characters when you'd get a little bummed when some would meet their demise while you simply couldn't wait to send another character on the express to Hell (yeah Micah).

3. Ghost of Tsushima - what a swan song for the PS4, with some of the best graphics and gameplay on the console. Compelling story too, with interesting side characters that help round out Jin's story. Honestly, I go back and forth on switching this one and RDR2 on this list.

4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - to me, this game was better than The Stick of Truth. It felt like a really great episode of South Park and just like the show wasn't afraid to cross boundaries. There were moments in this game where I had to pause it for a few minutes because I simply couldn't stop laughing. I really need to play through this again, it's been a few years.

5. Grand Theft Auto V - feels weird putting a game that dropped during the tail end of the PS3 era and was ported over to PS4, but the story was good and the graphical upgrade...wow. This game might even be higher (and maybe RDR2 perhaps) if Rockstar actually added more standalone single player offline stories like they did in the past (think back to RDR1 and GTA IV) but they only give a fuck about the online modes now. Props to them though, they've made the online mode so great that it's still thriving in 2021...so much so that this will carry over to the PS5 too. Maybe sometime during the PS5 life cycle we'll actually get a GTA VI.

Sure I missed quite a few (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4) but if I didn't finish them they weren't making the list. Might also be the first list for me where a console didn't release a sports title that was good enough for me to add here...NBA 2K20 would be the closest.

Your turn.

I swear I thought I responded to this....

1) GTAV - first game I tried and very nearly accomplished 100% with

2) Spider Man - first game where I did accomplish 100% completion, twice.

3) RDR II - love the genre and loved this game and again achieved 100%

4) MLB series - this was an annual purchase for me

5) LOU 2 - I really enjoyed Uncharted 1 and 2 but for me, this one was much better.

AND I missed PS4 games? My oh my.

Top 5 PS4 Games

5. Overcooked! - Extremely fun co-op game, pretty fun single player too. Something of a puzzle game, moreso arcadey, but a game that puts you in some unusual kitchens with a plethora of ingredients and orders to fulfill.

4. Apex Legends - my first battle royale, as I never got into Fortnite very much. No building, instead focused on "Legends" with special abilities and a library of weapons at their disposal. Can play in a squad of 3 or just 2; and as of this morning at 10:00 AM PT, there's even a new 3 v 3 mode that does away with the battle royale altogether. Definitely fun to play with friends, still pretty fun to solo through the online play too.

3. Spider-Man - Not sure what else there is to say. The amount of costumes was so much fun (even if none of us used any others after unlocking the cel-shaded version), and like the Arkham games before it, being able to swing through the city while fighting swarms of enemies does a great job of capturing what's fun about being Spider-Man, with a rocking story to boot.

2. Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon, but with extra mining and adventuring options. This game blew up on PC and eventually got ported to consoles (recently updated with couch co-op!) One of the most fun experiences I had on PS4.

1. RDR II - I mean, what else do I need to say? Just an absolutely engrossing, immersive experience, with an incredible story and gameplay mixed with atmosphere that transports you right into its setting. One day I'll complete my evil run-through, but easily just one of the most rewarding experiences on this console.

Crewe

I dont think we have covered this one yet and if we have, noone remembers, so, your Top 5 westerns;

Unforgiven
Just a modern masterpiece in my mind. Such a simplistic standard idea for a western and it actually captures what a situation like that might have really been like.
Real characters and believability, just top notch all the way around.

Butch Cassidy and Sundance KId
I just love this film and remember watching it growing up with my parents.
Im not wholly versed on Butch and Sundance but a lot of the film is fairly accurate and what isnt is still fun.

The Good, the bad, the ugly.
I mean, cmon. A favorite when I was a kid and still remains

The Searchers
Did you really think I'd leave out John Wayne?

Tombstone
Im going with Tombstone here, but honestly, the more I watch it, hte less impressive it is to me.
I liked it because it was the first Earp portrayal to show Wyatt wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but directorial problems etc... the original idea lost it's way somewhat. That said, it's still a great film, otherwise it wouldn't be here.