News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Game nights

Started by rollntider, May 14, 2018, 11:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Something that I have done recently in the past few years is gotten into board games. I also have a few friends over every so often and we cook out, roll dice, Play cards and have fun. I thought I would share some games every so often that we play so you could do the same. If you have any that your group plays, then please by all means share. :)

I will start out the genesis of this addiction I have acquired and started it all for me and a few friends.

https://zombicide.com/en/  they have 3 flavors now, modern, fantasy and the new Space one that just finished on Kickstarter.  The hook is it is basically walking dead. You and your group are working together for a common goal to survive. It is co op so there is no conflict, some people dont like confrontation so everyone works together against a common evil. Its fast paced and pretty simple.

The drawback is the game has a few quirky rules, and we house rule it and it makes it more realistic and fun. The major problem with the game was that When shooting you had to attack teammates first. That is pure rubbish. So we house ruled that if shooting into a crowd and you critical missed then you hit a team mate. Unless you were a cop (rick Grimes) or a military person.

Little tweaks to that game makes it a fun game that all seem to enjoy. Its great for up  to 6 players. And downloadable missions and expansions you can play for years to come.

Crewe

Axis & Allies man. Used to play that game endlessly. If we couldn't finish, we would leave the board set up for next time lol
That, hearts and spades were always a huge hit.
Nowadays, it just doesn't happen. My friends don't get together anymore. :(

cflnut

I've been doing the same thing with a couple of friends for a few years now.

Normally we get together on a Saturday and go through somewhere between 6 or 7 different games. we try to mix thing up each session so it's not always the same games all the time but there are a few that are mainstays.

I'll start off with one the regular games and that is Dungeon Quest

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/dungeonquest-revised-edition/

QuoteDungeon Quest Revised Edition is a fast-paced game of deadly dungeon exploration and looting for one to four players. Each player takes on the role of a hero who sets out to explore Dragonfire Dungeon. Along the way, you'll collect loot, evade traps, battle fearsome monsters, and wend your way through the sprawling catacombs that snake underneath the dungeon. If you are fortunate enough to find your way to the treasure chamber at the dungeon's heart, you may attempt to plunder its riches. The hero who escapes with the most loot wins!

There's more to concern you than monsters, traps, and rival heroes. You must be careful not to wake Kalladra, the cruel dragon who sleeps upon the treasure hoard! Once you've looted your fill, you must escape the treacherous, winding maze that makes up the dungeon in order to be victorious.

This game is designed to kill you so if you haven't played it before and are thinking of doing so, be preparied to die, and die a lot.
We play the revised edition, but I do prefer the original as it was a lot harder.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

I thought I had one group where we might have game nights on a regular basis but that's looking more and more like it won't happen again...but typically we did a lot of Cards Against Humanity, What Would You Meme?, one night we did Ticket To Ride too and that was pretty fun. Monopoly Deal! was a fun little card game, as is Sorry! Revenge...can't forget about UNO either!

I miss my poker nights...and euchre too (although that's definitely more of a Michigan thing).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Unfortunately autumn and I don't have friends at the moment, however my brother in Greenville has a group he plays board games with fairly regularly. It's actually one of his friends that has a massive board game collection (an old HS friend of mine also boasts a large collection. He was in the Air Force in Amsterdam and I guess there's a huge board game convention there or in Germany that helped him build his out. But I digress).

Those guys play a lot of those 8+ co-op type board games and such, but when I visited Greenville for our fantasy draft last year the dude brought over Camel Up, which was a really cool horserace betting kind of game. 

The best, though, was Resistance. Its basically like the Mafia game we used to play here. We had...I think 7 people playing. Two of us were spies, the rest were the resistance. Basically, you go on missions, I think there were 7 total. You pick who goes on each mission and some rule determines who gets to pick first. The first mission two players get picked, then three, then four, then back to three and two I think. Now, the other players CAN veto the picks, in which case the next player chooses the squad, but if the picks get vetoed either 3 or 4 times in a row, the spies win.

So, first game, Resistance loses. Second game, me and the drunkest person there are spies. Btw, my 12 year old is there too. When I tell you the screaming match that erupted between me and him when he accused me of being a spy super early in the game continued throughout the game, I tell you no lies.

Finally it came down to the last mission. Kiddo didn't trust me still and they pretty much knew the other dude was a spy, but I was able to put enough doubt on my son's loyalty that after 2 or3 vetoes, it was my turn to pick the mission and they couldn't veto or else the spies would win. Naturally, I chose myself for the mission and thus the mission failed and the spies won.

I've apologized to my son for accusing him of lying and turning everyone against him, profusely, constantly, ever since.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2018, 11:15:35 AM
Axis & Allies man. Used to play that game endlessly. If we couldn't finish, we would leave the board set up for next time lol

One of the groups I play with they used to play Axis and Allies pretty heavy.  I have never played.
But heard it was great. The last game we played was Twilight Imperium.... One of the guys said its like a Masters degree of board games, he was not lying.

rollntider

Quote from: cflnut on May 14, 2018, 12:17:44 PM
I've been doing the same thing with a couple of friends for a few years now.

Normally we get together on a Saturday and go through somewhere between 6 or 7 different games. we try to mix thing up each session so it's not always the same games all the time but there are a few that are mainstays.

I'll start off with one the regular games and that is Dungeon Quest

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/dungeonquest-revised-edition/

QuoteDungeon Quest Revised Edition is a fast-paced game of deadly dungeon exploration and looting for one to four players. Each player takes on the role of a hero who sets out to explore Dragonfire Dungeon. Along the way, you'll collect loot, evade traps, battle fearsome monsters, and wend your way through the sprawling catacombs that snake underneath the dungeon. If you are fortunate enough to find your way to the treasure chamber at the dungeon's heart, you may attempt to plunder its riches. The hero who escapes with the most loot wins!

There's more to concern you than monsters, traps, and rival heroes. You must be careful not to wake Kalladra, the cruel dragon who sleeps upon the treasure hoard! Once you've looted your fill, you must escape the treacherous, winding maze that makes up the dungeon in order to be victorious.

This game is designed to kill you so if you haven't played it before and are thinking of doing so, be preparied to die, and die a lot.
We play the revised edition, but I do prefer the original as it was a lot harder.

I have looked at that game many times and wanted to try it out. It looks like a lot of fun. But I do have some other Fantasy flight games, and Star Wars Imperial Assault is one of them. Its a space dungeon crawler but with STAR WARS!!!!  Also Dungeon Saga and Space Saga by Mantic. My favorite though is Shadows of Brimstone its cowboys vs Cthluhu and a dungeon crawler  RPG and its tons of fun. My Buddy Lugz has descent and it is a fantasy version is the starwars imperial assault.  I recommend those also.
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/dungeon-saga.html

BTW my star wars, Dungeon saga and Brimstone core sets, I painted all of the minis in the games. I still have expansions to paint.

These guys do awesome funny reviews and here is their take on Brimstone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7wnPYzZI8

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on May 14, 2018, 01:30:45 PM
I thought I had one group where we might have game nights on a regular basis but that's looking more and more like it won't happen again...but typically we did a lot of Cards Against Humanity, What Would You Meme?, one night we did Ticket To Ride too and that was pretty fun. Monopoly Deal! was a fun little card game, as is Sorry! Revenge...can't forget about UNO either!

I miss my poker nights...and euchre too (although that's definitely more of a Michigan thing).

Cards against Humanity comes out depending on how hard core the game night is. If it is a bunch of people that arent really into hard core gaming then my son gets his wish and we play that, I mean who doesnt want to play "Daniel Radcliff's delicious asshole" card? My daughter has a bunch of sets. And we usually have a night of side splitting laughter.

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on May 14, 2018, 01:55:27 PM
Unfortunately autumn and I don't have friends at the moment, however my brother in Greenville has a group he plays board games with fairly regularly. It's actually one of his friends that has a massive board game collection (an old HS friend of mine also boasts a large collection. He was in the Air Force in Amsterdam and I guess there's a huge board game convention there or in Germany that helped him build his out. But I digress).

Those guys play a lot of those 8+ co-op type board games and such, but when I visited Greenville for our fantasy draft last year the dude brought over Camel Up, which was a really cool horserace betting kind of game. 

The best, though, was Resistance. Its basically like the Mafia game we used to play here. We had...I think 7 people playing. Two of us were spies, the rest were the resistance. Basically, you go on missions, I think there were 7 total. You pick who goes on each mission and some rule determines who gets to pick first. The first mission two players get picked, then three, then four, then back to three and two I think. Now, the other players CAN veto the picks, in which case the next player chooses the squad, but if the picks get vetoed either 3 or 4 times in a row, the spies win.

So, first game, Resistance loses. Second game, me and the drunkest person there are spies. Btw, my 12 year old is there too. When I tell you the screaming match that erupted between me and him when he accused me of being a spy super early in the game continued throughout the game, I tell you no lies.

Finally it came down to the last mission. Kiddo didn't trust me still and they pretty much knew the other dude was a spy, but I was able to put enough doubt on my son's loyalty that after 2 or3 vetoes, it was my turn to pick the mission and they couldn't veto or else the spies would win. Naturally, I chose myself for the mission and thus the mission failed and the spies won.

I've apologized to my son for accusing him of lying and turning everyone against him, profusely, constantly, ever since.

If you liked resistance you might like Bang https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160567/bang-walking-dead
They also have a western version that is basically the same. I own the walking dead version and my daughter has the Starcraft version https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/168752/bang-heroes-storm. We like it that much, and it is similar to the resistance but way more action.

as for not friends for a game night you guys could start getting a few games and start playing amongst yourselves and as you get friends you can weave them in.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on May 15, 2018, 01:13:19 AM
as for not friends for a game night you guys could start getting a few games and start playing amongst yourselves and as you get friends you can weave them in.

Yeah, we got Kingdomino but it plays so quick it's hard to really get into. We also got Pandemic Cthulhu but after reading the rule book for what felt like 5 hours we...kind of gave up.

And obviously games like Taboo or Cards Against Humanity we can't really play with just the two of us (I debate with myself about having kiddo play that when he's here but even though he's an incredibly smart and mature 12 year old I'm not sure he's ready for some of those cards, even despite seeing movies like Deadpool).

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on May 15, 2018, 01:21:52 AM

Yeah, we got Kingdomino but it plays so quick it's hard to really get into. We also got Pandemic Cthulhu but after reading the rule book for what felt like 5 hours we...kind of gave up.

And obviously games like Taboo or Cards Against Humanity we can't really play with just the two of us (I debate with myself about having kiddo play that when he's here but even though he's an incredibly smart and mature 12 year old I'm not sure he's ready for some of those cards, even despite seeing movies like Deadpool).

Get massive darkness or zombicide. Those would be age appropriate and fun for all 3 and, the 2 of you could play. Massive Darkness is basically the board game version of Diablo. It scales up to 6 players I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXGKpZMTJik

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on May 15, 2018, 05:06:20 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on May 15, 2018, 01:21:52 AM

Get massive darkness or zombicide. Those would be age appropriate and fun for all 3 and, the 2 of you could play. Massive Darkness is basically the board game version of Diablo. It scales up to 6 players I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXGKpZMTJik

I don't think it'll change your response but I should say, when I say "we," I mean my fiance and I. We haven't attempted to play Pandemic with kiddo, which, we should, because he's smarter than both of us and could probably teach us to play after five minutes, haha (alright, maybe not 5 minutes, but still).

I will definitely look into both of those suggestions though.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2018, 11:15:35 AM

They have another flavor of it
http://avalonhill.wizards.com/games/axis-and-allies/zombies

Rigg44

If you have not tried Betrayal at House on the Hill  it is a blast.  Me and my daughters love to play it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-house-hill

rollntider

Quote from: Rigg44 on May 17, 2018, 04:57:29 PM
If you have not tried Betrayal at House on the Hill  it is a blast.  Me and my daughters love to play it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-house-hill

Agreed, its just that betrayal part that gets ya LOL... btw they are doing a legacy version. I may get that one.
Also have you played the expansion?