News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Chris Kluwe

Started by Bret, July 25, 2014, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret

As a Vikings fan, I am officially sick of reading this guy's name every time I go to the StarTribune to get caught up on the latest Vikings news.

When he was playing, I found his activism somewhat annoying. But, he was a good punter...good, not great.

I believe the Vikings when they say that his being cut had nothing to do with his activism. Because of his time in the league, and the union rules that say when a player has been in the league x amount of years then they have to may at least y amount of dollars, then he was getting to expensive for his performance, and a much cheaper and probably better guy could be brought in for less money.

Now, granted, I'm sure that all the distractions that Kluwe brought with him didn't exactly make the cutting him a difficult decision on the Vikings part. But the money vs. performance thing really was the bottom line, and I believe that was the determining factor in their decision.

But, now Kluwe can't get on to any other team. Is it because of all of his distractions? Probably, but I'm not 100% sure about that. All I know is that all the shit he's stirred really appears to be motivated by sour grapes more than anything else, and a desire to keep his name in the papers since he's still unemployed.

If he really had a problem with that Priefer said at practice to the point where he was literally going to sue over it, then why didn't he speak up and threaten to sue at the time? Why did he wait until he got fired before he got mad about it?

Thanks for letting me rant.

VikesRule

Yep, he was cut due to how much he was making. Punters are a dime a dozen and we saved money without losing production and get a younger player as well.
Top Sports Talk is back!
http://www.topsportstalk.com/forum

rollntider

I would agree, I am sure if the dude could punt his butt off, he could have sex with sand and I bet no one on the staff cares.  I get it, people are gay and love their partner. There is also something to be said for doing your job, and who gives a crap for what you do in your spare time. Some places of business likes to stay out of the controversy, I think Sam was more low key, and I believe he came out before the draft, to keep it from hurting his chances, instead of it breaking at a bad time and teams getting scared off.

I would venture him being an activist had more to do with teams not wanting him than him being gay.

Crewe

I enjoyed his rants but didnt get too wrapped up in them.  As a Cowboys fan, I have my own issues to deal with...

Bret

Quote from: rollntider on July 25, 2014, 08:53:39 PM
I would agree, I am sure if the dude could punt his butt off, he could have sex with sand and I bet no one on the staff cares.  I get it, people are gay and love their partner. There is also something to be said for doing your job, and who gives a crap for what you do in your spare time. Some places of business likes to stay out of the controversy, I think Sam was more low key, and I believe he came out before the draft, to keep it from hurting his chances, instead of it breaking at a bad time and teams getting scared off.

I would venture him being an activist had more to do with teams not wanting him than him being gay.

To be best of my knowledge, Kluwe has never come out as gay. I for one used to think he was gay. But, now, after everything that has transpired, I believe that Kluwe is straight. And, while he very well may legitimately support gay marriage, I believe that is a small part of his activism. I believe his biggest motivator is to stir shit and keep his name in the papers. Apparently it is working. I've never seen a punter that no team wants continue to get his name on the sports pages on an almost-daily basis.

To be fair to Kluwe, I did like his stunt where he put "vote Ray Guy" over his uniform patch commemorating the anniversary of the Hall of Fame.