News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2020 Status

Started by TheNorm, July 09, 2020, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Well then feel free to GTFO Nebraska if you don't like those Big Ten paychecks...only thing I'd really miss if your clown school left is the easy 1-2 wins on the basketball schedule and the guaranteed W whenever the football teams play.

https://twitter.com/OWHbigred/status/1293372027378765825
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/Greg_Byrne/status/1295109367201705984
When the Athletic Director is practically begging you to wear a mask and social distance, that should tell you how serious this is. I'm just cringing at a good portion of the comments though.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295352693142233090
Don't worry, the football team is safe. I'm sure no football players would ever visit a *checks notes* ...sorority house.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1295398534905319424

CFL cancels the season. Canada (and most if not all the rest of the free world) has a better handle on their management of the pandemic than the US does and they're still canceling the season.

What's that say about us when the NFL and some CFB conferences are still trying to play this out?

BojackHorsefella

While I think it'd be utterly egregious for college football to be played (it is most certainly is not essential, #1, #2, they don't even seem to have any sort of plan for dealing with COVID at all, much like the NFL itself), I read elsewhere that the CFL's decision was a financial one, and less about the pandemic.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/we-will-be-back-cfl-cancels-2020-season-because-of-pandemic-financial-issues-1.5066920

"Even with government funding and a new CBA, our owners and community-held teams would have had to endure significant financial losses to play in 2020," Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a written release."

Crewe

The big rub I hear now is basically, if Im understanding, is hypocrisy about the whole situation. Football players can enter campus, go to class and engage in every other unguarded activity, but not football, because you know, Covid.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on August 17, 2020, 04:30:45 PM
The big rub I hear now is basically, if Im understanding, is hypocrisy about the whole situation. Football players can enter campus, go to class and engage in every other unguarded activity, but not football, because you know, Covid.

It's almost like schools SHOULDN'T be open......

And, you know, even as I say that, it's a bit of an oversimplification, but, again, I feel like that's why we should really be seeing some sort of plan from these colleges and schools, and again we really aren't. Learning from home isn't for everybody, some people simply don't have the resources to learn from home, I imagine students in areas with more poverty may rely on their local public libraries just for internet usage, and I think most public libraries are still closed at the moment (and certainly may not be open to all kinds kids coming in to use their PCs for 8 hours a day or what have you). I'm not sure what the correct solution is, but I do feel like what we're seeing right now is most certainly not it.

TheNorm

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on August 17, 2020, 01:33:00 PM
While I think it'd be utterly egregious for college football to be played (it is most certainly is not essential, #1, #2, they don't even seem to have any sort of plan for dealing with COVID at all, much like the NFL itself), I read elsewhere that the CFL's decision was a financial one, and less about the pandemic.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/we-will-be-back-cfl-cancels-2020-season-because-of-pandemic-financial-issues-1.5066920

"Even with government funding and a new CBA, our owners and community-held teams would have had to endure significant financial losses to play in 2020," Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a written release."

Kinda. Government refused the bailout in the first place because they didn't want to fund a dangerous sport during COVID.

TheNorm

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on August 17, 2020, 06:03:40 PM
Quote from: Crewe on August 17, 2020, 04:30:45 PM

It's almost like schools SHOULDN'T be open......

And, you know, even as I say that, it's a bit of an oversimplification, but, again, I feel like that's why we should really be seeing some sort of plan from these colleges and schools, and again we really aren't. Learning from home isn't for everybody, some people simply don't have the resources to learn from home, I imagine students in areas with more poverty may rely on their local public libraries just for internet usage, and I think most public libraries are still closed at the moment (and certainly may not be open to all kinds kids coming in to use their PCs for 8 hours a day or what have you). I'm not sure what the correct solution is, but I do feel like what we're seeing right now is most certainly not it.

https://twitter.com/dailytarheel/status/1295447961477033985

UNC is transitioning to fully online/remote by Wednesday after a huge spike in positivity rates last week (2.8% to 13.6%).