News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of Video Games Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, April 17, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Day 23 - A Sequel That's Better Than the Original - Modern Franchises

So, quick descriptor: by "modern franchises," I mean any franchise founded since....say Playstation on. So no Mario or Legend of Zelda.

I'll go ahead and take the answer everyone probably knows I will: Metal Gear Solid 4. Not only is it somehow superior to Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation, which was my favorite up to that point, it manages to tie in gameplay elements from the three prior games while also tying up every single loose end story-wise. Add in the trip to Shadow Moses, the setting for the first game, and you really just have the complete and total package.

Crewe

I have a couple here, but can only recall one title, so Ill go with Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2. I believe that was the Call of Duty series.
It started out with a great first person cinematic abduction and execution which leads to the campaign. I really enjoyed that game, went through it again as I recall and I rarely do that.
The other was one of the early iterations of the WWII genre, or at least one that set the bar, IMO. The campaign directed you through the European assault beginning with D-Day, but for the life of me I cannot recall the name of it. Was that one of the Medal of Honor series?

TheNorm

Day 21 - Favorite Videogame Weapon

Ryu's "Shoryuken" (Rising Dragon Fist) in Street Fighter II. Damn near devastating in this game since it could pass through projectile attacks

Day 22 - A Game From a Genre/Sport You Don't Normally Play

Final Fantasy VII. Never was really into RPG type games, and it's not really my thing now either...but this one was an exception. Tried it on a whim and couldn't put it down.

Day 23 - A Modern Franchise Sequel That's Better Than the Original

Batman: Arkham City. Granted this is like picking between movies Godfather I/II for me because Arkham Asylum was excellent, but City had a more open playground, it improved on the moves you could pull off as Batman, and the story was incredible.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on May 09, 2018, 11:38:19 AM
I have a couple here, but can only recall one title, so Ill go with Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2. I believe that was the Call of Duty series.
It started out with a great first person cinematic abduction and execution which leads to the campaign. I really enjoyed that game, went through it again as I recall and I rarely do that.
The other was one of the early iterations of the WWII genre, or at least one that set the bar, IMO. The campaign directed you through the European assault beginning with D-Day, but for the life of me I cannot recall the name of it. Was that one of the Medal of Honor series?

Both good choices, and yeah, that second one was...Medal of Honor: Allied Assault maybe? 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 09, 2018, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: Crewe on May 09, 2018, 11:38:19 AM

Both good choices, and yeah, that second one was...Medal of Honor: Allied Assault maybe?

sounds good to me lol

BojackHorsefella

Allied Assault on the PC I know started with D-Day.

There was one WAY back in the day on PS2, Brothers In Arms, maybe? or something about a Hill?

Crewe

it was on a console and not as far back as PSOne, at least I don't think it was that far back. Im thinking it was either on the 2 or 3.
And no, no hill, Brothers in Arms doesn't sound right. the campaign was essentially the same as Easy Company's traipse through Europe beginning with Day landing

BojackHorsefella

Day 24 - A Game You're Terrible At

Sometimes you play a game at a friend's house or you buy one thinking you'll enjoy it, and then you end up being awful at it and hating it. So, what's yours?

Mine, for all of my life, is and will most likely always be: Street Fighter. I know these days it's even worse with online play REALLY letting you know how bad you are, but even going back to Street Fighter II, I've always been terrible. I certainly haven't bought any Street Fighter games since, and while I may have played one or two at an arcade or at a friends, I have no desire to actually own these games.

So yeah. Street Fighter II is my pick. Forever and always.

cflnut

Any FPS, like Battlefield or Call of Duty. I am the one guy that is killed 2 seconds after the match starts, and continually killed 2 seconds after every re-spawn.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

lol nut, thats me too pretty much. And I used to be so awesome at those, but my eyesight got to be too bad where I couldn't focus on everything and by theme I figured it out, I was dead lol
Thats another reason why I like solo campaigns instead of online.

A game Im terrible at would be, any aviator game basically. it all started with Top Gun way back when and that blasted carrier landing.
I was pretty decent at one of those first Star Wars PC games that was so damn immersive and popular, but for the most part Im pretty stinks in the air.

TheNorm

Maybe not a game, but I've gotten a lot worse at the stealth parts of missions in games like Arkham Asylum and Battlefield 1. Wasn't super great in the first place, but I gave up playing story mode in Battlefield 1 and Wolfenstein II because the stealth missions were a bit much.

rollntider

Day 23 - A Modern Franchise Sequel That's Better Than the Original

Mutant Football League, that game is really good

rollntider

FPS on consoles. I can play them decently on a CPU, but a console i suck.

BojackHorsefella

Day 25 - A Game You Wish They'd Make A Sequel To

Most blockbuster games these days get a sequel that continues their story. Sometimes, though, there are games that don't. They may have games that are sequels in spirit (think anything by Team ICO) but not a true sequel.

So, what's a game you've played that you loved and wished there was a sequel for, but there isn't (and don't say Half-Life 2 Episode 2 or plain Half-Life 2).

For me, I think a game I would have liked a direct sequel to would have been Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. I know it was based on the novel, still, I feel like there's more stories that could be told about Dash Rendar, and not only that, but the game was fun to play. It was the first fully immersive 3D Star Wars game I'd played, having never played the Jedi Knight games, and switching from Dash to the Outrider to a snow speeder on Hoth was just so cool. I do remember the game getting a bit grindy in the later levels, but that could easily be improved upon.

Crewe

Can I say Destruction Derby?! :-)