News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB 14 The Show

Started by Crewe, May 09, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

so norm, to pick up where we left off....
After you pointed it out, I tried the dynamic setting and it worked pretty well, for a while, then, disaster struck as I entered the legend level.
At one point I struck out 10 out of 16 AB's.
I was injured for two months entering the IR with a 350 BA (it was still relatively early in the season) and by seasons end it was 285. 
Keep in mind, I played out of the box which is Veteran and was just destroyed at this level, which I guess is the point.
What my problem is, even on veteran level, is the stride. it just seems odd when you pull the stick back t begin your stride, then having to hold it for a split second or two before swinging. One fluid motion feels much more intuitive to me and you can get away with that on Veteran level, but at Legend level? Nope.  The stride matters...a lot. As it should I guess.
Pitch type is almost impossible to pick up and even determining if the pitch is in the zone or not is abundantly more difficult.
The good thing is, it is much more representative of real baseball.  You have half a second to determine if you are going to swing or not and timing is everything.
For the first time ever, I'm playing an entire Spring Training to try to get a handle on this Legend level but I don't see it happening.
This will be my third full season in the bigs and hopefully I can adapt.
FYI, I think I said Id post my slider tweaks so here ya go.  It's minimal.
CPU pitcher consistency (it might be pitcher control - its the one that says might allow more wild pitches) set to zero
CPU pitcher strike frequency - set to zero
And thats all I do and basically it's to help draw walks because in my experience, even working the count, without tweaking these settings, you'll almost never daw a walk, even if your a two strike hitter adept at 7 or 8 pitch at bats.

In the meantime, I need to get back to my pitcher too....

TheNorm

Thanks for the update! Now that I've got a bit more time this summer and the OSFM rosters are out, I think I may actually also give running a franchise another shot.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Crewe

somebody needs to inform the developers the definition of a balk

TheNorm

I don't know of any developer that's ever gotten a balk in a game right...but to be fair, I haven't played enough to even see it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

My guy is a base stealer so I see it frequently.
they are trying to cheat me....!  lol
Its not that big a deal as gameplay goes but you'd think they'd have a baseball guy closely saying uh, that's illegal...

TheNorm

If they called balks in this game, I have a feeling my pitcher would be getting called for it ALL THE TIME. :P
And maybe that's why it's not really programmed in (users don't really follow those rules to a T), but I honestly have no clue how easy/hard it would be to program things in that regard.

Crewe

I don't either, but the fact they have a setting to turn balks on or off leads me to believe there IS a balk in this game, by now, I just wanna see it

TheNorm

Update on my pitcher:

After a super hot start to my AA career (5-0 with Baltimore's AA team), I've dropped two of my last three. Still top 5 in ERA, WHIP, and Ks, but the lack of run support pretty much means that if I give up a couple runs odds are I'm not escaping with a W.

I seem to be giving up a few more walks than I'd given up in previous versions of this game. I like that.

Had a start land on Mother's Day, and I like the touch of the players using pink bats just like the league does in real life. Nice attention to detail; I know it's been there for a few versions but I don't recall seeing it at the minor league level in this game until now.

Crewe

yea the mother's day bats have been there, but I agree nice touch.
is your guy a junker or a heater?
I havent messed with my pitcher for a while, but I have him a hard thrower with the RFB, SL, CH and just picked up a CB.
Im too busy with my other guy trying to get out of Seattle lol
They said the trade reception was better this time around but I've been constantly requesting a trade for almost four full seasons now.  Oh well, another season and a half I can get the hell outta here.
I entered the draft instead of choosing my team because I wanted a touch of reality.  Stupid ;-)

TheNorm

Modeled my player after Verlander, so I'm bringing the heat: a FB that tops out at 97-98 right now, a circle curve that hits around 82, and a 12-6 curve that hits around 77-78. Might pick up another pitch down the road but I'm actually happy with those for the moment. :)

I also did the draft: initially got drafted by the White Sox so said f*ck that and went the junior college route for two years and reentered the draft then, which is when I got drafted by the Orioles in the 2nd round. Much better fate than being stuck in an organization full of prom night dumpster baby rejects.  ;D

Crewe

lol  I did that too and thought well, Seattle won't be too bad but Ive grown to hate them so much, even after a WS title.
Mainly its the ballpark I hate.  The camera I use allows the ball to disappear in the scoreboard as its released and it causes me problems.

I don't see how you got a CH to be that much different than a FB.  Mine runs about 88 with a 96-7-8 FB and I don't even increase velocity.
Hitters get out in front of it, but don't flat out miss too often, mostly foul it off.  I use it mostly as a setup or waste pitch.  My slider is the one I keep tweaking with a big bend, trying to get it to mirror the FB, as it should.
Another key is finding a good pitch style release to go with your pitches and I have an ok one, but I wish I could find a better one.

Its funny youo mention Verlander.  I faced him last night and thought oh man, here's an 0-4 night and then quickly looked at my history with him.  I was 3-6 with a HR.
Then I thought, well, he's due....I promptly went down 0-2, barely fouled off a couple fully expecting to whiff only to latch on to an inexplicable FB over the low part of the plate and deposited it over the fence for a 3 run HR.
I felt pretty good until I K'd the next time and dribbled back to the pitcher after that and ultimately lost the game.  Jokes on him though....I hate this team! lol  ;-)

TheNorm

I have no idea how the pitch speeds worked out that way, but at the AA level it's absolutely devastating when it's working. When it's not working or when the ump squeezes the strike zone, it gets dicey.

Last night, it was working great-12 Ks with only 2 walks, and only gave up 4 hits in a CG 11-1 win.

As for the umps: I love the variance from game to game-I think the community even put together a list a year or two back about how each umpire in the game calls balls and strikes. Gotta love that detail.

Crewe

I really like that too.  Especially when, like in real life, a pitch location will be a ball, then next time it will be a strike lol
My pitcher rarely, and I mean rarely gives up walks.  I think Im almost six months in and have only given up maybe 3?

Crewe

So Im done with season 5, won another WS with Seattle.  Thats 2 out of 3 years now. 
Final numbers
.318 BA / 123 RBI / 32 HR / 77 SB / 87 walks / 4 errors / 24 doubles / 4 triples
Led in runs scored, but don't recall how many.  But over 100.  Led in SB with 77, same exact number as the previous season which I was bummed about.  I really want to break the Lou Brock mark of 115 but I don't think I can.  Forget the Ricky Henderson mark.
I was caught stealing 14 times; 13 the prior season.
I was most proud of walks for which I was 4th in the league with 87.  Most Ive ever had in any version.  Id love to top 100.
BA was .314 the prior season and Im happy with that. Oh and I can't forget the K's!
Only 87 this year as opposed to 98 the previous year.  But I had about 30 more AB's last year too so...
Made my 2nd All Star game and received my 2nd Silver Slugger. Not even in the running for the Gold Glove.  No other awards to speak of.
Stunk it up in the playoffs but I do want to get WS MVP before my career is over.
Id like to nab every award at least once in my career and its off to a slow start, but Im hopeful.
Id also like to aim for a MLB record, but I don't see it happening as they are way too far out of reach.  ideally my guy is bred for the SB record but i don't think I can go long enough, same for the HR and RBI.
Got close to Ichiro's two hundred and something hits record in on season in last version so that might be a target somewhere.
Would love to get the 56 game hit streak and even got on the far side of 25 games in let years version but I just can't see toppling that one.
Ah well, something to shoot for!

Oh and norm, fired up my pitcher again (I just through the AS break in season 1 and got hammered, plus walked three guys just as I told you I never walk anyone lol
Dammit...