UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on October 09, 2020, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: Crewe on October 08, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Both the documentary and the movie are worth watching.  They were very well done.

:D
You a big race fan?

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on October 09, 2020, 01:11:38 PM
This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Both the documentary and the movie are worth watching.  They were very well done.

You a big race fan?

Not really but I like a good documentary and a good movie and both fit that bill.  Not to mention this story had a David vs goliath spin, America vs. Europe spin , sticktuitivness vs pessimism spin to it, all of which appeal to me so... I like racing in a passing sort of way but I really just like a well made historically based story.   

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on October 12, 2020, 03:48:50 PM
Quote from: Crewe on October 09, 2020, 01:11:38 PM

You a big race fan?

Not really but I like a good documentary and a good movie and both fit that bill.  Not to mention this story had a David vs goliath spin, America vs. Europe spin , sticktuitivness vs pessimism spin to it, all of which appeal to me so... I like racing in a passing sort of way but I really just like a well made historically based story.

Im on board with that opinion. I felt it had a bit of crossover appeal but Im biased so I wasnt sure

Crewe

Trial of the Chicago 7
Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

You know I love films based on true stories, docs and the like so I was eager to see this one.
I haven't done much reading about this though and what I had read I didnt retain all that well so this was to be even more of an experience.
This is the story about the trial of 7 (8 originally) defendants charged with crossing state lines to incite a riot during the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968.
The underlying tone, which was true, was that it was a political witch hunt to stamp out the peace nicks, hippies and quell the protests so Nixon could steamroll forward with his agenda.
Nixon and current Attorney General (The Wire's John Doman) wanted "revenge" if you will because outgoing AG, Ramsey Clark (played beautifully by Michael Keaton) investigated and declined to pursue charges regarding the riots because he found no federal laws were broken.
Jason Gordon-Levitt plays Federal Prosecutor Richard Schultz who was handpicked to prosecute the case.
Sacha Baron Cohen plays rebel rouser Abbie Hoffman to a bonafide T in my opinion and has such great chemistry with the rest of the cast, matter of fact, they all seemed to gel pretty well.
I think though, Mark Rylance as William Kunstler was tremendous. His courtroom demeanor played well and above all, accurate, to me anyway. Obviously I wasnt there, but based on my court experiences, yea, just well done.

If you are familiar with Aaron Sorkin, you will recognize his work straight away, and if you are a fan of his, even moreso.
It was a well told story, interweaving real news footage with his film to reflect the tragedy and horror of what transpired, but at the same time, he doesnt hit you over the head with his message in these instances. The 7 really feels more lighthearted, almost like a buddy comedy. Relying on heavy dialog (hey, it's a trial AND Aaron Sorkin) and art direction to capture the essence of the era, Sorkin tees it up.

While watching this film I was noting certain things I wanted to check out, as I do with most 'based on a true story' presentations.
There were no real over the top cartoony like instances but there were some courtroom scenes where I told myself, no way.
Courtroom movies usually almost always bother me because they are almost always full of shit. However, when I looked this one up it turns out an abundance of information was taken from the court transcripts. Ok, wow. That happened.
I dont think Im spoiling this when I tell you it just so happens that Sorkin even toned down or omitted a few instances instead of cranking up the theatrics. I found that to be quite interesting.

The Trail of the Chicago Seven was a story that needed to be told. It's the perfect time for it because we are in a similar situation right now. Obviously we won't learn from it as we never learn from the past but still, it is an entertaining and informative watch that balances caustic and witty dialogue with tragedy anger and empathy.
Watch this and lets discuss

4.5/5

Crewe

Every October, I dig in to my Halloween bag a flicks.
This go round was Halloween, such a good horror flick, setting the stage for others. Speaking of....

Friday the 13th
This film gets a lot of heat because of the sequels and that's unjust. The Friday franchise released a film every single year since the original all the way up to 87 I think, it was ridiculous and none of them were even remotely close to the original.
Now Im not suggesting it's a Hall of Fame feature. Well, maybe slasher HOF, but I digress.
Some of the early steadicam shots were pretty rough, especially watching it with a 2020 prism, but the rest of the camera work was pretty good in how it switched from POV to audience. The fade to black in lieu of cuts though, bad choice. It just killed the tension every time.
And why does every horror movie have the most unrealistic chase and/or fight scenes? Friday suffers from the latter, and to be fair, it is an older woman and an inexperienced actress <shrug>
However, it did have a reasonable chase scene. Something even....

the Scream franchise lacked.
Yea, I went through all four. Initially, I had watched one obviously, and II, but never even peaked at III or IV and I now know why.
Scream was great though. It mocked its own genre while embracing it at the same time. I loved the nostalgic references and making movie plots part of the plot was a bold move Cotton.
I really enjoyed the frantic nature of the killer chase scenes, but too often the speed in which the characters were moving given the distance between them, it just didnt flow as all the shots were put together. Some will say Im nitpicky, but those things ruin the immersion for me.
The fight scenes, however, were much better. A little overacted admittedly, ala the garage scene with Rose, I wanna be in the sequel, McGowan.
II was actually a good story and on its way to being a good follow up I thought, but then we had to go to drama class. II was also hindered by poor casting I thought. Laurie Metcalf, riding high from her Roseanne success, was not a good selection for Billy's mom. And I forget his name, but the fat kid, Vern from Stand By Me, remember him? Not a good option as the boyfriend. They both just didn't seem to fit the Scream world.
III was actually a good idea for a story. Easily concocted without bending or changing any plotlines from its predecessors, but oy, the telling of this story. Im not sure what happened to Wes Craven on this one, but it wasnt good and his editor also failed him. The less said about III, the better.
As for IV, I liked the story, and the plot paying homage to itself was quite a nice idea.
Casting was better except for Wendy Peffercorn. Go back and watch the early scene when Sid is at her book signing and the cops open her trunk (I wont spoil it for you if you havent seen it) and the cops react to keep the crowd back.
You can see her, arms stretched out from her sides in a linebacker stance, literally hopping around as if she's playing Red Rover in order to keep the throngs of the crowd away, who arent closing in mind you. It's just fucking hilarious and unnecessarily weak. And still, somehow she is supposed to be an authority figure, but she is probably the only cop whose uniform makes her look like a bimbo.
And can we discuss Gale for a moment? Easily meant to be, and is, the most hated character, but she embraces that and delivers. The self aware digs she takes at herself and her 90's icons are terrific, not to mention the aforementioned jabs at the horror genre.
We wont even discuss Dewey's injury. Good lord man.
And an ICU unit, with all the shit going in there at the end of the movie, and noone is around, literally any fucking where. I know it's a movie, but cripes sake man, come on.
Anyhoo...I made it.

What else? I know there was more than that....I already talked about Bly Manor...damn. I cant remember lol
Oh well, if I do, Ill come back to it. If you have any I need to watch, cite em  :D

Crewe

The Others
Nicole Kidman

This one has always been in the back of my mind to watch but just never did. well, today was the day.
Kidman is a mom who lives in an old mansion in the islands of France with her two kids in 1945.
Her kids have a disease characterized by photosensitivity, therefore, all curtains must be shut at all times and only candles are to be used in the home, hence no electricity.
When we come in, Grace Stewart (Kidman) is seeking live in help to nanny her kids and to handle the grounds. The three person troupe she hired were led by Mrs. Mills (Fionnula Flanagan) who tries to stay neutral on matters between the family members. The older kid, (Alakina Mann) is a bit stand offish to her dominating mother while son Nicholas (James Bentley ) rather dotes on his mom.
The home schooled young ones learn in depth bible teachings from Kidman. Despiter her authoritarian personality her kids seemingly scoff at some of the teachings, much to mom's dismay.
Meanwhile Mrs. Mills softens the kids with her stoic yet calming manner, seemingly not taking either side in the minor skirmishes in the daily life of the Stewarts.

I love the cinematography in this movie. The understated tones really sell the mood along with the WWII era art direction.
Nicole Kidman was stellar as was the directing and editing too. If you have surround sound, turn this one up. I dont have to tell you the sounds you might hear in an old mansion, especially in a horror setting, and yes, I called it a horror film.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would so if you havent watched it, give it a look

Crewe

Continuing my Halloween thread, next up is

Host

This was a cool little bit of filmmaking. Think of ...Blair Witch, via Zoom.

Set in the year, 2020 lol, not a joke.
Everyone is dealing with the pandemic and like most friends, this group of buddies have been Zoom'ing to cure boredom and to have some interaction with each other.
To really liven things up, our host, Haley, invites her friends to a seance via Zoom with her friend who is a spiritual medium.
Haley and her 5 friends are mocking the upcoming session just as most anyone would, but Haley says that despite knowing the likely outcome, please be respectful to her friend. Obviously not wanting to embarrass her with snide snarky jokes.
All agree and she is let in to the conference.

The audience participates in POV manner, ala BWP, and then, you just kinda have to imagine what's next.
The actors are real friends and made it themselves and honestly, it's a good piece of storytelling via creative measures. I love the idea and at :56 minutes, it's an easy watch.
I'd suggest you take a look.

Crewe

Ready or Not

This isnt a horror flick per se, but I ran across it and wanted to check it out.
Samara Weaving plays Grace, our blushing bride to be who is marrying Alex (Adam Brody) of the supremely wealthy La Domas family who made their fortune via board and card games.
Alex is apprehensive because he knows the family history and is also somewhat of a black sheep as he has tried to distance himself from the truth.
Grace is told by Alex that as a tradition, something his family adheres to religiously, the newlywed has to draw a card which will display in which she must partake.
She is somewhat confused and mildly curious at the beginning but agrees to go along.
Alex and the family knows there's one card that none of them really want her to pull and the odds are against it, but it's a tense selection process nonetheless.
Andie McDowell and Henry Czerny are the doting mom and dad who demand the family do must what be done when they see Grace pulled the dreaded Hide and Seek card.

This film is hardly campy and despite its dangerous themes you can rightly assume the movie doesnt take itself entirely too seriously nor is it based wholly in reality.
The characters sharply contrast one another and each has their own humorous quips and observations from time to time, but they are determined to find Grace and honor the family tradition.

4/5

Crewe

The Frighteners 1996
Michal J. Fox

Ok, believe it or not, I havent seen this one. I always thought it was going to be too hokey and not funny, like Beetlejuice or Ghostbusters.
And it was, almost.
This film walks a fine line between camp and horror.
Fox plays a paranormal investigator.
Turns out he can see and communicate with spirits. In order to boost his business, he has his spirits haunt homes so they will call him to exorcise the demons. Interesting in that is the very thing Walter Peck accused The Ghostbusters of doing, but I digress.
Fox notices that a demon is marking people for death and killing them, both in the real world and on the other side.
The film begins to blend in some thriller type horror stuff and it works overall, I mean Zemeckis is part of it ya know.
You can kinda figure it out from here.
The special effects are kinda cheesy in the early going but since it's not a real serious film, it gets a pass. As the after life characters appear and interact, the VFX are much much better and more conducive to the film.
It's a fun kinda ride with a not so twist of a third act, but bearable.
I liked it ok and didnt feel like it was a waste of time.
if it weren't Halloween season, I may not be as forgiving, but all in all

3.5 / 5

BojackHorsefella

Dude, I LOVE The Frighteners! One of my high school finds, it's absolutely a campy little comedy (I think it's only Peter Jackson's second movie, and obviously before he did Lord of the Rings), but oh man. Jeffrey Combs doing his crazy paranormal detective thing, MJF, I love all of his ghost pals, and an especially game Jake Busey? Hell yes.

Crewe

The ghost pals were great as was Busey. I would have liked to seen him in more roles.
I loved R Lee Emery's appearance too, straight outta FMJ lol

BojackHorsefella

So, the fiancee and I decided to watch a movie a day for Halloween (it's possible I forgot to log a few), with us splitting up the movie choices between us. Here's a blurb for all of them so far (and, as always: I keep my Letterboxd up to date with reviews, and even just a general list of movies I've watched during quarantine, if you ever want to sneak a peek - https://letterboxd.com/bucfever/). Most of these we watched either on Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, rented via Prime, or watched free on whatever TubiTV and PlutoTV are. Lets dive in!

Geralds Game (2017)
Amazing film! Read the book in middle school (eh...yeah....), and as much as I can remember, this is a pretty damn faithful adaptation. Captivating. Netflix original, so free on the service.

The Haunting (1999)
Liam Neeson. Catherine Zeta Jones. Owen Wilson. Lili Taylor. Yeah, this was a bomb back in '99 and still is, but worth a few laughs at the special effects of the day, and of course Owen Wilson getting his head lobbed off by a chimney flue.

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
Less horror and more just horror aesthetic, it doesn't quite rise to the heights of another gothic horror musical (Sweeney Todd), but it's still an entertaining little movie.

Frailty (2001)
Absolute cult horror classic from '01. Bill Paxton (RIP) in his first directing effort and starring role, with Matthew McConaughey and Powers Booth. Still holds up, although the ending always is a bit cheesy for me.

Freeway (1996)
This was a really weird movie. Keifer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon, "based on Little Red Riding Hood." The director didn't go on to much, and uh, I see why. Still, was interesting watching the two of them in these unusual roles.

Hubie Halloween (2020)
Avoid at all costs.

Lucky (2011)
Another horror comedy, this one starring Colin Hanks! Colin Hanks wins the lottery, and his female coworker, who he likes despite her despising him, decides she'll finally give him a chance now that he has money, and even marries him! Only to find out he's a really, really bad serial killer and if she wants to keep the money, she's going to need to give him some help. Entertaining for what it is, won't knock your socks off but you'll get a few laughs. Plus, Colin Hanks.

The Collector (2009)
Another cult horror film, this one by one of the guys behind Saw. Arkin's a man with a debt and a timeline, so he decides to rob the house he was working at earlier in the day, only to find that someone has beaten him there....I love this movie, although the fiancee was a bit too squeamish so we had to remove it's sequel, The Collection, from our schedule, but I also highly recommend that as well.

Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
This was right after The Collector, as I was going to do a double feature with The Collection but instead ended up having to select a "palette cleanser." Tony Shaloub, some brief F. Murray Abraham, Matthew Lillard, Shannon Elizabeth, just a stacked cast all around. I can't remember if I saw this in theaters or if this was a "can't sleep' watch, but I remember thinking it was more of a "mainstream, poppy" type horror, but there are definitely parts that get a bit intense. Good flick overall, not super scary but sort of the "fun joyride" horror movie.

The Craft (1996)
The first film in the next double feature (her choices this time), this was actually my first time watching The Craft. Good movie! No surprises there.

Practical Magic (1998)
Not exactly horror, but, WITCHES. I actually remember seeing this back then, I remember my parents renting it from Blockbuster or whatever (I would've been 11), mainly the husband's death scene and the "lime in the coconut" scene, not sure if I fell asleep for the other parts. Anyways, a fun little all-female vehicle (somewhat strangely directed by Griffin Dunne, or After Hours and American Werewolf in London fame), I enjoyed it.

The Ritual (2017)
This is on Netflix and I cannot, cannot recommend it enough. After losing a friend in a tragic robbery, a group of friends go hiking in the woods in his memory. Horror ensues. I'll say no more. Just watch it.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
A surprise entry! Her niece came over one night and chose this movie for us, I had never seen it. Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch, and interesting little movie where a "Jane Doe" corpse brings with it supernatural horrors. Pretty decent, for a later day horror flick.

Jennifer's Body (2009)
I remember when this came out, although I didn't go see it. Wasn't a Megan Fox fan. But it's actually a good movie! Has plenty of flaws, it's not a perfect movie, but some good commentary and Megan Fox is good in the role overall.

House On Haunted Hill (1999)
I used this to go back and watch some horror movies of my youth that I remember seeing on-release in theaters. In 1999, there was The Haunting, and there was The House on Haunted Hill. Definitely a stacked cast here as well, Chris Kattan, Geoffrey Rush, Famke Janssen, Ali Larter, Taye Diggs, poor man's Jeff Goldblum Peter Gallagher. The movie is still somewhat decent in the first half, minus the overly campy and boorish behavior of Rush and Janssen's married couple. The finale is rough, with an uninspired "final ghost" that was poorly received in '99 and only looks worse now. Was fun to revisit for nostalgia's sake, and only for nostalgia.

Midsommar (2019)
Saw this in theaters when it came out in 2019, she hadn't so she picked it. I liked this movie the first time, although had a lot of issues with it, however, I enjoyed it far more on rewatch and felt like I really understood and connected with the film a lot more. Was definitely at least worth a watch before, a splendid film.

When A Stranger Calls (2016)
Her pick, I actually haven't seen the original so can't compare this remake to it. It was...fine. It was fine. Wasn't overly bad, was just...fine.

The Descent (2005)
Oh, The Descent. Back in the days of Saw and Hostel, when people said the horror genre was dead and thought torture porn was here to stay, The Descent was the cult horror flick we could all point to and say "Horror is alive!" I fear it hasn't aged well in the last 15 years, and one of my major issues: the first half, when it's just the women in the cave, is more tense and scary than the second half when the monsters appear, still stands. Still though, love this movie.

The other issue is I bought it on Amazon to watch, and it uses the fucking alternate ending. I had to pull up Youtube to show her the real ending. The alternate ending is only used on Prime due to the fact that they made a sequel based off it (I think the alternate ending was the main one used in UK).

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
Richard Gere! Laura Linney! Will Patton, aka the white coach from Remember the Titans!

99% sure this was an "It's 11 PM and HBO has this one" high school movie, but again, revisiting. West Virginians are seeing a mothman, a supernatural presence that Gere's character has some familiarity with. An interesting little movie, "based on a true story," overall it misses its marks but was fun for me to revisit.

Interview With The Vampire (1994)
I'd never seen this before, was her pick, and my goodness, what a movie. The Slater bits are a bit slow, a framing device that may be unnecessary, but Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt absolutely nail their characters, and small child Kirsten Dunst is unbelievable in her role. If you're like I was and haven't seen it yet, fix that.

Dark Skies (2013)
Saw this one in theaters, it went under the radar back in 2013 but is actually really good. A family of four, debt-ridden and trying to make their way, start having unexplained phenomena occur in their home, on top of everything else. I really like the lead actor in this, Josh Hamilton, and Keri Russell is here too for a great performance, along with a brief cameo by JK Simmons. Highly recommended.

Trick R Treat (2007)
A little horror anthology covering 4 stories that all occur at the same time on Halloween. More Brian Cox here, plus Anna Paquin, it's a cute little Halloween tale that's not particularly scary but is entertaining at least.

The Lovely Bones (2009)
Horror in the "this can actually happen" category, I suppose (her pick, not mine), but I enjoyed it. Missed this one in theaters, a great, creepy performance by Stanley Tucci, and Mark Wahlberg bordering on his "The Happening" level of character. Still, worth a look, not Peter Jackson's finest work as director but not his worst, I assume.

Parasite (2019)
FINALLY got her to watch it. It's still free on Hulu. Rent if on Prime if you have to. WATCH PARASITE.

How To Be A Serial Killer (2008)
This was her pick and was insane. Absolutely a B-movie, this is dark comedy by way of Clerks. Shot on a budget of probably about $2, and starring Dameon Clarke, who IMDB tells me has done a LOT of video game voice acting work, and Matthew Gray Gubler of Criminal Minds fame, this was obviously before either of these guys had regular careers. I DID enjoy it for what it is, but just know you're not in for any high minded fare here.

Halloween H2O (1998)
I was told no "Halloween," so instead, I skirted that rule by using Halloween H2O instead. Again, revisiting some bad movies of my youth, it was interesting to watch this having the new reboot in mind for context. There's seeds of that movie's plot in Laurie Strode here, although she's much more successful, being the head of some sort of private school academy. Josh Hartnett and Michelle Williams are here for a bit, so is LL Cool J. None of the magic of the original two, despite being the re-apperance of Laurie Strode after 4 sequels without her.

And that's been it so far. She gets a movie tonight, I have to choose one for Halloween (gonna go with Coraline, I think), but yeah. It's been a fun October.

Crewe

Dude! You've been holding out on me lol
Here I was thinking I was all alone  :o

I picked a few for comments or questions.

Frailty (2001)
Absolute cult horror classic from '01. Bill Paxton (RIP) in his first directing effort and starring role, with Matthew McConaughey and Powers Booth. Still holds up, although the ending always is a bit cheesy for me.

I loved this movie. What didnt you like about the ending?
Spoiler
The switcharoo, or Boothe being the killer or the religious stuff at the very end?

Freeway (1996)
This was a really weird movie. Keifer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon, "based on Little Red Riding Hood." The director didn't go on to much, and uh, I see why. Still, was interesting watching the two of them in these unusual roles.

Saw this when it came out and it was, strange lol
Reese and Kiefer were cool together though, and Brooke Shields lol Loved her brief arc

The Ritual (2017)
This is on Netflix and I cannot, cannot recommend it enough. After losing a friend in a tragic robbery, a group of friends go hiking in the woods in his memory. Horror ensues. I'll say no more. Just watch it.

For real watch, or are you fucking with me? Should I replace tonights selection with it?

When A Stranger Calls (2016)
Her pick, I actually haven't seen the original so can't compare this remake to it. It was...fine. It was fine. Wasn't overly bad, was just...fine.

The original was not a great film but as much time as I was spending at the thatre, I saw it more than once so, do the math. It was passable. However havent sen it since so...
Never watched the remake because I cant fathom how they would create the same scary scenario.

Dark Skies (2013)
Saw this one in theaters, it went under the radar back in 2013 but is actually really good. A family of four, debt-ridden and trying to make their way, start having unexplained phenomena occur in their home, on top of everything else. I really like the lead actor in this, Josh Hamilton, and Keri Russell is here too for a great performance, along with a brief cameo by JK Simmons. Highly recommended.

This or The Ritual?

Trick R Treat (2007)
A little horror anthology covering 4 stories that all occur at the same time on Halloween. More Brian Cox here, plus Anna Paquin, it's a cute little Halloween tale that's not particularly scary but is entertaining at least.

Sounds like Creepshow. You say it's entertaining. Does that mean, entertaining, watch it. Or entertaining but not worth it?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 30, 2020, 06:21:36 PM
Frailty (2001)

I loved this movie. What didnt you like about the ending?
Spoiler
The switcharoo, or Boothe being the killer or the religious stuff at the very end?
[/b]

The Ritual (2017)

For real watch, or are you fucking with me? Should I replace tonights selection with it?
[/b]

Dark Skies (2013)

Trick R Treat (2007)

Sounds like Creepshow. You say it's entertaining. Does that mean, entertaining, watch it. Or entertaining but not worth it?

So, in order (at least, I thought, until I looked after posting and realized stuff didn't highlight as I expected):

A little of all 3. It's not even that they're out of left field or anything obviously, as the movie sets it all up, it just feels a little lazier than the rest of the movie.

[Edit - Regarding The Ritual and Dark Skies]: And yes, I mean WATCH THE RITUAL. It's extremely good. I'd say, between that and Dark Skies, I'd watch Dark Skies first, just because I personally think The Ritual is better, but both are good.

Trick R Treat's fun in an "I don't know what to watch tonight, it's the day before Halloween/Halloween/just a general day in October, I'll put this on the TV" kind of way. You won't hate it. You'll chuckle at parts. You'll go "oh that's gross" at parts. And then you'll move on. Just some fun little performances (forgot to mention Dylan Baker Hall) and little Halloween tales. It's good fun, but nothing more.

Crewe

So the ritual it is, or was.
I really enjoyed it, but I have questions.

Spoiler

I figured early on that we were dealing with two stories regarding the main character.
Him coping with the death of his buddy at the liquor store and having flashbacks in the moment.
And the obvious, dealing with the main antagonist.

So, I found myself wondering, why isnt this thing just killing the last two guys?
The beast knows where they are, primarily because of the fucking flashlight.
I knew it was the beast or the condemned that created or led them to the path of the village to be sacrificed.
So is that the story, they had to be ritualized, or sacrificed? That's why the beast didnt kill them?
Or was he satiated by the groups other two friends in the interim?

The wounds in his chest; was that the beast marking him because it knew what emotional pain he was in about his friend? After his capture, the one girl remarked, you submit to him and no more pain.

And finally, at the end....was the beast giving him a last chance to worship? I assumed if he was reluctant he would be killed.
Was that the reason for pressing him to the ground?
I guess that's what our boy thought because he slashed the monster with a hatchet and ran out of the woods. Im not sure if he knew the creature could leave the woods or not, but I figured he couldn't.