UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on April 16, 2018, 12:46:56 PM
Quote from: rollntider on April 16, 2018, 10:52:54 AM
46 and 2 - Okeefe Music foundation (bunch o Kids) / Tool (do yourself a favor and listen)

I've only heard the TOOL version, didn't realize it was a cover.

Their cover of No Quarter is also really good.

Tool I think did the original, Okeefe did the cover, unless I misunderstood ya.

Did not realize Tool covered no quarter.  Listening now

BojackHorsefella

Oh, yup, I had it backwards, I see what happened there.

TheNorm

In no particular order...

"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"
(original by the Bee Gees, covered by Al Green) - my parents loved (and still do) love the Bee Gees, so I heard this song a lot when I was young. Al Green took that version and made it his own.

"Zombie"
(original by the Cranberries, covered by Missio) - The Cranberries is and will always be a classic. The version by Missio is great too, a little more low-key and haunting. Bad Wolves apparently just did a cover of this song as well and it's pretty good but cuts a little closer to the original.

"Feelin' Good"
(originally from a British Musical, covered best by Nina Simone) - I'd thought Simone's version was the original of this song until Michael Buble covered it a few years back, that's when I found out Simone's was also a cover. Love that voice.

"Black Hole Sun"
(original by Soundgarden, covered by Norah Jones) - I absolutely adore Norah Jones' voice, and she covered this five days after Chris Cornell's death last May.

"Creep"
(original by Radiohead, covered by Prince) - hearing Prince cover this Radiohead favorite is a thrill to me, and I watched it constantly once it was finally allowed up on YouTube. Prince was very guarded about what was up (none of his videos were up on the site until months after he passed away), and this was one of the few live performances up. Even that took a few tries before Radiohead's Thom Yorke himself said "Well tell him to unblock it...it's our f'ing song." Ban lifted. http://time.com/4140876/prince-radioh/

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

that Nora Jones cover, man...

rollntider

Top 5 Covers you like better than the original, to do a twist on the original list

cflnut

Top 5 Covers you like better than the original.
In no particular order

Symphony of the Devil - Guns & Roses Original by the Rolling Stones

Oops I did it again - Children Of Bodom Original by Britney Spears

Am I Evil? - Metallica Original by Diamond Head

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Bruce Dickinson with Godspeed Original by Black Sabbath

Paranoid - Megadeth Original by Black Sabbath
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

3 of em were listed in the other category:
All Along the Watchtower, I love Rock n Roll and With a little help from my friends.
The other two covers I like better than the originals....?
Respect - Cover Aretha Franklin, original Otis Redding
Me and Bobby McGee - Cover Janis Joplin, original Roger Miller

rollntider

Quote from: rollntider on April 22, 2018, 10:06:25 PM
Top 5 Covers you like better than the original, to do a twist on the original list

Boogie With Stu - Led Zepplin ... original Ooh my Head Ritchie Valens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0caSr3qK2A

Dancing Days - STP - Led Zepplin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IusEhJXlCOA

The man who sold the world - Nirvana - David Bowie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

So What - Metallica - Anti League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XoyDqFy5pU

Bitches aint shit - Ben Folds - Dr Dre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJxvi767kQ

Crewe

I like the STP cover too but I can't list it ahead of LZ. Agree with others, good choices all around

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on April 27, 2018, 12:18:28 PM
I like the STP cover too but I can't list it ahead of LZ. Agree with others, good choices all around

You would be hard pressed to find a LZ song I dont like, and I still like the original, but I felt STP did it right.

Crewe

Quote from: Crewe on April 23, 2018, 04:22:46 PM
3 of em were listed in the other category:
All Along the Watchtower, I love Rock n Roll and With a little help from my friends.
The other two covers I like better than the originals....?
Respect - Cover Aretha Franklin, original Otis Redding
Me and Bobby McGee - Cover Janis Joplin, original Roger Miller

oh hey, another I forgot, Last Kiss by Pearl Jam, original J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers

Crewe

ok, this might be a reach, but lets go with Top 5 songs you found via Shazam.

Down in Mexico - The Coasters - Shazam Death Proof
Wrapped in Memory - Shawn Smith - Shazam The Sopranos
Where is my mind - Maxence Cryin - Shazam Uncharted 4, I think
Sugar Daddy - Sturgill Simpson - Shazam Vinyl (HBO series)
Outlaw State of Mind - Chris Stapleton - Shazam ... no idea...

TheNorm

Top 5 Songs Found via Shazam

Missio - Middle Fingers
Ed Sheeran - Make It Rain (Shazam'd this one off of a Sons of Anarchy episode)
Hedley - For the Nights I Can't Remember
Lucenzo (feat. Don Omar) - Danza Kuduro (Fast & Furious 5 I think)
Eagles of Death Metal - Miss Alissa (Nike's 2014 World Cup Commercial)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

good call on make it rain! SOA is how I discovered Son of a Preacherman by Peg Bundy. Was surprised she could sing so well. Also how I discovered Hey Hey My My had been covered. Come to think of it, SOA led me to quite a few discoveries

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on May 15, 2018, 11:38:18 PM
good call on make it rain! SOA is how I discovered Son of a Preacherman by Peg Bundy. Was surprised she could sing so well. Also how I discovered Hey Hey My My had been covered. Come to think of it, SOA led me to quite a few discoveries

Forgot about that one! She's immensely talented, lots of range.
Kurt Sutter knew what he was doing when it came to SOA, always knew the music to hit the mood.