Main Menu

Your Unpopular Opinion

Started by TheNorm, October 09, 2017, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Greetings from Washington state, where I say "yeah, it's going fine"

Crewe

Quote from: cflnut on March 21, 2018, 09:58:51 PM
The world is not ready for Legalized Marijuana.

Im curious....

cflnut

Quote from: Crewe on March 22, 2018, 10:15:20 AM

Im curious....

Marijuana will be legalized for "Recreational Purposes" in Canada effective July 1. The only laws governing it so far is that you must be over 18 to purchase or posses it, and that the packaging of it must be plain black & white, and in a child proof container.

Once legal all adults will be able to purchase fresh or dried cannabis, cannabis oil, plants and seeds for cultivation from either a provincially or territoriality regulated retailer, or where this option is not available, directly from a federally licensed producer. Possess up to 30 grams of dried legal cannabis or equivalent in public. Share up to 30 grams or equivalent of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults. Cultivate up to 4 plants in their own residence (4 plants total per household); and alter cannabis at home in order to prepare varying types of cannabis products (e.g., edibles) for personal use provided that no dangerous organic solvents are used in the process.

As far as where and when use could use it most people feel that it will be treated like a cigarette and that you will be able to just fire one up when ever you feel like. Waiting for the bus, on your lunch break, or whenever else you feel like. When questioned about it the Federal government says that, it is up to the Provinces, and Municipalities to decide on any restrictions. Some Provinces have stated that it may take up to five years before they are ready for Marijuana to be legal, as far as the changing of laws is concerned.

There is also the opinion that marijuana should be treated similar to alcohol. With the exception of having a zero tolerance for public consumption. The federal government, once again, says that this will be up to the Provinces, and Municipalities to decide. The majority of the general popular give you a giant middle finger if you have this type of opinion.

There are even some people who state that there should be no age restriction on it, and go as far as to quote all the supposed health benefits that marijuana has.

My own personal opinion on it is that we're not ready for it. Weather that is by not having the right laws in place or even not having a common conciseness of how, or where, it should be used.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

BojackHorsefella

Some of that is different than here. Here in Washington, you have to be at least 21, much like with alcohol, in order to purchase. In addition to that, it is illegal to consume publicly, again, much like alcohol, although also like alcohol that doesn't deter EVERYBODY. My girlfriend and I don't smoke in public though.

rollntider

Quote from: cflnut on March 22, 2018, 01:11:46 PM
Quote from: Crewe on March 22, 2018, 10:15:20 AM

Im curious....

Marijuana will be legalized for "Recreational Purposes" in Canada effective July 1. The only laws governing it so far is that you must be over 18 to purchase or posses it, and that the packaging of it must be plain black & white, and in a child proof container.

Once legal all adults will be able to purchase fresh or dried cannabis, cannabis oil, plants and seeds for cultivation from either a provincially or territoriality regulated retailer, or where this option is not available, directly from a federally licensed producer. Possess up to 30 grams of dried legal cannabis or equivalent in public. Share up to 30 grams or equivalent of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults. Cultivate up to 4 plants in their own residence (4 plants total per household); and alter cannabis at home in order to prepare varying types of cannabis products (e.g., edibles) for personal use provided that no dangerous organic solvents are used in the process.

As far as where and when use could use it most people feel that it will be treated like a cigarette and that you will be able to just fire one up when ever you feel like. Waiting for the bus, on your lunch break, or whenever else you feel like. When questioned about it the Federal government says that, it is up to the Provinces, and Municipalities to decide on any restrictions. Some Provinces have stated that it may take up to five years before they are ready for Marijuana to be legal, as far as the changing of laws is concerned.

There is also the opinion that marijuana should be treated similar to alcohol. With the exception of having a zero tolerance for public consumption. The federal government, once again, says that this will be up to the Provinces, and Municipalities to decide. The majority of the general popular give you a giant middle finger if you have this type of opinion.

There are even some people who state that there should be no age restriction on it, and go as far as to quote all the supposed health benefits that marijuana has.

My own personal opinion on it is that we're not ready for it. Weather that is by not having the right laws in place or even not having a common conciseness of how, or where, it should be used.

I am torn on the weed issue. The libertarian in me says let people do what they want (within reason of course)  but there are so many stupid people out there that are not mature enough to handle it, like booze for example. I agree most people are not mature enough for it, but I do subscribe to survival of the fittest, they will weed them own selves out. (pun intended?) Its 2018 and people drive drunk and text and drive. Unfortunately they end up surviving and killing the innocent.

cflnut

Quote from: Bucfever on March 22, 2018, 01:28:24 PM
Some of that is different than here. Here in Washington, you have to be at least 21, much like with alcohol, in order to purchase. In addition to that, it is illegal to consume publicly, again, much like alcohol, although also like alcohol that doesn't deter EVERYBODY. My girlfriend and I don't smoke in public though.

The Age of majority here in Canada is set by each province and, other then 18 being the minimum, there is no national stranded. Half the provinces are 18 the other half are 19.

The original minimum age for the use of Marijuana was going to 25. But the liberal government reduced it to 18, As they felt it was unfair to discriminate against those who are 18 to 24. After all their reasoning was, they can get drunk and smoke cigarettes, they should be allowed to get high as well.

cflnut

Quote from: rollntider on March 22, 2018, 02:40:13 PM

I am torn on the weed issue. The libertarian in me says let people do what they want (within reason of course)  but there are so many stupid people out there that are not mature enough to handle it, like booze for example. I agree most people are not mature enough for it, but I do subscribe to survival of the fittest, they will weed them own selves out. (pun intended?) Its 2018 and people drive drunk and text and drive. Unfortunately they end up surviving and killing the innocent.

There is a huge debate going on right now as to how to handle driving while high. Those for legalization are saying it's just like smoking a cigarette, those against legalization are saying it impairs your judgement just like alcohol.

The government is staying out of the debate, saying that they will figure it out after it has been made legal.

BojackHorsefella

Well that's another difference from America then because it's definitely illegal to drive while high (although I've heard it can be hard for cops to prove, since weed stays in your system, they're not allowed to drug test you? I don't know how accurate that info is though).

But yeah, I mean, it's like alcohol (although safer than alcohol, health-wise), but it definitely does put you in an un-sober state. I don't understand how there's a debate for driving like that.

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on March 22, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
they're not allowed to drug test you? I don't know how accurate that info is though.
States and cities laws vary. In some parts of Alabama if an officer suspects you of driving while intoxicated they can ask to have you tested. If you refuse you are guilty.
Quote from: Bucfever on March 22, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
But yeah, I mean, it's like alcohol (although safer than alcohol, health-wise), but it definitely does put you in an un-sober state. I don't understand how there's a debate for driving like that.
Health wise is a debate also.
here is one such article
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1402309

just an FYI I am not anti reefer nor am I pro. I am not against someone using it, but I don't or won't use it unless I have a need to.  But I like having the option if i would like to.

Crewe

Honestly, I dont have too many concerns about it becoming legal.
At the very least it should be decriminalized.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on March 23, 2018, 09:53:30 PM

I can't argue with that, and would be in favor of it

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on March 23, 2018, 09:53:30 PM
Honestly, I dont have too many concerns about it becoming legal.

All of this.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Branching off from the movie challenge real quick, I have two:

1. Rudy sucked, and it's not just my maize & blue colored glasses that makes me feel that way. Not saying it doesn't play a part either, though. F*ck Notre Dame.
2. Goon is better than Slap Shot. 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Re: Rudy, I'm really indifferent about it, I mean I liked the film ok, so I don't get the rage?
Blasphemy! I thought Goon was a horrid representation 😳
Ok maybe not that bad but certainly not on par with Slapshot

BojackHorsefella

I've never seen Slapshot (I know, I know) but I was REALLY bored with Goon when I watched it.