UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of Video Games Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, April 17, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Day 7
Most Impressive Worldbuilding

Hmm...this is a tough choice to make but ultimately I have to go with Red Dead Redemption on this. The genre wasn't exactly something I would race to play (yep, I've always thought Westerns were cool and all but nothing I'd make it a point to engage in on a regular basis). The world created by Rockstar changed all of that though; this was one of those things I couldn't let go of easily once I was hooked and the in-game world had a lot to do with that. There was so much you could do, and the characters were a treat.

Day 8
World You'd Actually Want to Live in

Mass Effect. I'd love to see this world/universe some few hundred years in the future, getting to work in it as a pilot and travel the galaxy. Other than the Reapers and Geth trying to destroy us all anyway. Still have a bunch of the creature comforts we're used to now too I'm assuming, which is one reason there's no way I could go to a world like Red Dead...I'd be miserable lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 24, 2018, 09:29:39 PM
Day 8
World You'd Actually Want to Live in

Mass Effect. I'd love to see this world/universe some few hundred years in the future, getting to work in it as a pilot and travel the galaxy. Other than the Reapers and Geth trying to destroy us all anyway. Still have a bunch of the creature comforts we're used to now too I'm assuming, which is one reason there's no way I could go to a world like Red Dead...I'd be miserable lol.

I debated Mass Effect, but the Geth and Reapers were a deal breaker, haha

BojackHorsefella

Day 9 - Favorite Video Game Character

Whether you just enjoy playing as them (Kratos, I guess, might be a good example?) or just enjoy the character (Mario, Link?), who's your favorite video game character of all time?

Mine's easy: Solid Snake. Even though he got the shaft in MGS2 and you weren't really playing as him in MGS3 (not a spoiler, the game is set clearly before his time), what Konami did to flesh out his character and really make you connect with Snake, this hardened bastard soldier of war, is really remarkable. MGS4, playing as Old Snake, was just an incredible experience, and as much as I love MGS's crazy, whacked out story, it just wouldn't be as enjoyable if Snake was a crappy, one-note character. Fortunately, he is not.

Crewe

Day 8
Toughie here. Assuming I don't have to like the game, Id offer up Sopranos or Uncharted or RDR simply because those environments I really enjoy, but not one I would necessarily survive.
Ultimately though I think LA Noire. Thats one I think I would fare well in and am also fascinated by that era.

Day 9
Since you took Snake, I was going to go with the MW2 character you play as and die at the end but succeed in your mission.
But once you mentioned Link, I thought about it and Legend of Zelda was the first game I remember spending countless hours on, even competing with friends to see who could find the most loot and finish the game first.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 25, 2018, 11:25:56 AM
Day 8
Toughie here. Assuming I don't have to like the game, Id offer up Sopranos or Uncharted or RDR simply because those environments I really enjoy, but not one I would necessarily survive.
Ultimately though I think LA Noire. Thats one I think I would fare well in and am also fascinated by that era.

Day 9
Since you took Snake, I was going to go with the MW2 character you play as and die at the end but succeed in your mission.
But once you mentioned Link, I thought about it and Legend of Zelda was the first game I remember spending countless hours on, even competing with friends to see who could find the most loot and finish the game first.

Can't go wrong with Link, but MW2 would've been an interesting choice for sure (that wasn't Soap McTavish because he was the first (and I think third?) game. I don't remember MW2's main character).

TheNorm

Day 9

Batman from Rocksteady's trilogy. I basically got to play as my favorite superhero voiced by the cast of one of the best cartoons ever. Made me feel like I was watching darker versions of the cartoon series...simply incredible to me.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Day 8 - World You'd Actually Want to Live In
San Andreas -  Someone pisses you off? Just yank them out of the car and beat that ass. Dont like the car you drive, jank someone out of the car and beat that ass. Great music... ah good times

rollntider

Raynor from Starcraft, love the games, love the series love the lore.

cflnut

Neptune from Hyper Dimension Nuptunia.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

BojackHorsefella

Day 10 - Worst Game You Ever Played

I was fortunate enough to own the awful Superman 64, a story that rivals that of the Atari E.T. video game. There graphics were bunk, there was a weird green fog covering everything that the developers tried to say was "Kryptonite fog." You can barely control Superman, let alone precisely aim any attack. At any time you could randomly fall through the floor or have a boss battle just freeze. This wasn't uncommon.

Just, incredible trash.

cflnut

Day 10 - Worst Game You Ever Played

The X-Files Game. It was an interactive live action movie point-and-click adventure video game. All I really remember about it was that the controls were so horrible that it made the game pretty much unplayable.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Day 10
Most of you won't remember this, but Mike Ditka Football was the worst gaming experience of my life. Video games weren't produced in mass like today so anything you spent money on was it...and I was supremely pissed off about this crapola game.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 27, 2018, 12:16:45 PM
Day 10
Most of you won't remember this, but Mike Ditka Football was the worst gaming experience of my life. Video games weren't produced in mass like today so anything you spent money on was it...and I was supremely pissed off about this crapola game.

Oh my god my brother and I had this on the Sega Genesis. When you went to field goal practice, you couldn't exit the mode! You had to reset the damn console!

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on April 27, 2018, 02:35:30 PM
Quote from: Crewe on April 27, 2018, 12:16:45 PM
Day 10

Oh my god my brother and I had this on the Sega Genesis. When you went to field goal practice, you couldn't exit the mode! You had to reset the damn console!

oh so you do remember? lol It must not be as old as I thought. But anyway, f*** Mike Dtka Football

BojackHorsefella

Sorry folks, things got crazy at work today and then I had some errands after.

Thinking up a topic right now on the spot.

Day 11 - Favorite indie game

Tider's always posting Steam, GoG and Humble Bundle sales, so I'm assuming a few of us are PC gaming or maybe getting our indies from the PS Store.

This one is tough for me. Back when I had Steam I almost entirely played indie games. I think right now I'd have to go with Rogue Legacy.

I enjoy rogue-like games, and this one really leans into that with it's overall build. Each time you die, you start over as a descendant of your now dead character. Every character has certain traits, like ones that make everything look like you're in the Matrix or ones that make you stronger. You purchase upgrades that you keep and I suppose pass down your line.

It took me forever to level up enough to finally beat it, but I did.