News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 2020 Song A Day Thread

Started by TheNorm, January 17, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Before I continue, just want to say I love that you guys are jumping in with your picks too. Keep 'em coming-we might all have different tastes depending on the day but I love seeing what interests you/keeps you guys going. Kudos.

Anyway, even though I've missed a couple days I'll just jump back in with this little Billie Eilish jam I've been digging lately. Would love to put together a routine for this someday (and you'll find a song I post on more than a few days will probably end up being related to something I can use down the road lol).

Billie Eilish - You Should See Me in a Crown (also, I won't link it here but you should look up the vertical video for this song and watch it on your phone).

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I never even heard of Billie Ellish until what, a couple of weeks ago?
I'm so not hip anymore lol

I'll go the other way and offer up this gem from the 50's by Chester Arthur Burnett, or other aka Howlin Wolf.
He's one hat actually sounds like his moniker, to me anyway.
A blues legend signing what would be covered by other blues artists many times over.
Smokestack Lightning

Rigg44

This is by far my favorite female artist. This song and many of her others are in permanent rotation for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5chkHjTNFgk

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 24, 2020, 11:24:00 AM
This is by far my favorite female artist. This song and many of her others are in permanent rotation for me.

Never heard of her, but fired up Spotify while at the gym and I dig her. Not all of what I heard, some of its a bit poppy for me, but I definitely heard some tunes that I liked. This is why I love threads like this, fresh input.

This is the last "newest" artist I added to my faves, Samantha Fish.
She's a breakout blues girl, I say breakout, been around 6-8 years I guess, but man, serious talents.
I hear shit like this and it just makes me want to practice my guitar for days.
Surprising when I found this vid, I never knew she went red lol

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 24, 2020, 06:19:33 PM

Never heard of her, but fired up Spotify while at the gym and I dig her. Not all of what I heard, some of its a bit poppy for me, but I definitely heard some tunes that I liked. This is why I love threads like this, fresh input.

This is the last "newest" artist I added to my faves, Samantha Fish.
She's a breakout blues girl, I say breakout, been around 6-8 years I guess, but man, serious talents.
I hear shit like this and it just makes me want to practice my guitar for days.
Surprising when I found this vid, I never knew she went red lol

Yea I don't like everything ZZ puts out but the tone of her voice is what gets me.  I like unique sounding singers.  The first time I heard her I did not expect her to look like she did when I finally looked her up.

Rigg44

Today's contribution Is another song that has been in heavy rotation for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsFPa2vidw

Rigg44

Quote from: TheNorm on January 23, 2020, 04:27:15 PM
Before I continue, just want to say I love that you guys are jumping in with your picks too. Keep 'em coming-we might all have different tastes depending on the day but I love seeing what interests you/keeps you guys going. Kudos.

Anyway, even though I've missed a couple days I'll just jump back in with this little Billie Eilish jam I've been digging lately. Would love to put together a routine for this someday (and you'll find a song I post on more than a few days will probably end up being related to something I can use down the road lol).

Billie Eilish - You Should See Me in a Crown (also, I won't link it here but you should look up the vertical video for this song and watch it on your phone).

I am sure it will bring her cool factor down to have an old fart liking her but so far I like her music a lot. 

TheNorm

And here I was thinking I was the only one around here that might know who ZZ Ward is. Good choice. Also the reason for (to this day) my one and only photo credit. :)

Every summer Ann Arbor has this weekly outdoor concert series called Sonic Lunch, and my brother suggested we should go check this person out. Got there early enough and we were up close. Took a bunch of shots but this is the one I posted that day...

https://www.instagram.com/p/qR295CQlEf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sonic Lunch took notice of it, asked if they could use it and a short time later my photo was front and center for a time. Someone even asked what camera I was using for that shot...just my iPhone lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

Quote from: TheNorm on January 27, 2020, 03:12:28 PM

And here I was thinking I was the only one around here that might know who ZZ Ward is. Good choice. Also the reason for (to this day) my one and only photo credit. :)

Every summer Ann Arbor has this weekly outdoor concert series called Sonic Lunch, and my brother suggested we should go check this person out. Got there early enough and we were up close. Took a bunch of shots but this is the one I posted that day...

https://www.instagram.com/p/qR295CQlEf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sonic Lunch took notice of it, asked if they could use it and a short time later my photo was front and center for a time. Someone even asked what camera I was using for that shot...just my iPhone lol.

Funny enough I found her a few years ago following a thread similar to this.  The post was on Danielle Colby's twitter feed and I gave it a shot.  I have been listening to her ever since.  I have never understood how she is not a bigger star, ZZ Ward that is.

Crewe

My cousin turned me on to Beth Hart

Rigg44

TheNorm

It's been a few days. Not even gonna bother to catch up either lol.

Anyway, January 28. Really thought this song might've pulled down a couple more Grammys but it was a stacked field full of jams and I'm not even mad about it.

Lizzo - Truth Hurts

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 28, 2020, 04:19:46 PM
I will have to check her out

If you do, I think the Live in Amsterdam with Joe Bonamassa would be a good place to start. Thats what this clip is from.
Ill be seeing her in St. Louis with said cousin later this spring

Rigg44

This song is one of my all-time favorites when I just want to chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfiHmoD13TY

TheNorm

Never heard that tune or of Ephraim Lewis before, but I like it. Thanks!

January 29, throwing it back to a little old school and Jurassic 5. Loved this song back then, and started thinking about it earlier today too.

Jurassic 5 (and Nelly Furtado) - Thin Line