News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2016 College Football Thread

Started by rollntider, January 26, 2016, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Bottom line is this: you can't put the game in the hands of the refs on the road. You just can't.

Also can't turn the ball over three times, including a pick-6 and a fumble on their one yard line. Can't get super conservative on offense in the 4th quarter either. Heartbreaking loss in an otherwise classic double OT thriller. The better team did not win that game though, and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise.

Can only hope Michigan backs into the CFP now, but all of that's gonna depend on where they end up in the CFP poll tomorrow. If they're at 5 (or by some miracle 4), then it's possible.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Was hoping to see Michigan in the final 4. Would have liked to seen a rematch between Bama and Michigan from a few years ago.

So glad we beat the crap out of the barners.  If OSU gets in, I hope we get to face them, want revenge for 2014.

rollntider

Quote from: thaima1shu on November 22, 2016, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on November 20, 2016, 05:23:42 PM
Quote from: rollntider on November 19, 2016, 01:16:49 PM
MSU vs OSU today, who does Michigan fans pull for?

A meteor.

Can't believe it's been a decade since the last time Michigan and Ohio State played for such huge stakes: two top 5 teams, a Big Ten Championship (the East) on the line, national championship implications...man.

This week is going to be fun.

Similarly, first time in forever that the Apple Cup has meant anything. Winner goes to the Pac-12 Championship, UW needs the win to remain in the playoff conversation, etc.
Good luck in the title game

thaima1shu

Thanks, looking forward to it. Booked the flight down to San Francisco last month hoping that the Huskies would make it. Glad they pulled it off! Hopefully they can keep it going.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on November 29, 2016, 11:51:25 AM
Thanks, looking forward to it. Booked the flight down to San Francisco last month hoping that the Huskies would make it. Glad they pulled it off! Hopefully they can keep it going.

I'd say your team's chances are pretty good, but it should be a good game regardless. Good luck!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Washington Huskies, Pac-12 Champions sounds pretty good.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on December 03, 2016, 02:24:07 AM
Washington Huskies, Pac-12 Champions sounds pretty good.

Congrats, buddy - one hell of a season so far!

TheNorm

Opinion not everyone's going to agree with: Michigan is one of the top 4 teams in the country, and they won't be in the playoff (well that last part is fact). That loss to Iowa killed their chances though. Don't lose that game and I think they survive a double-OT loss on the road to stay in the top 4.

And lol at Pedo State winning a B1G championship and James Franklin (Brady Hoke 2.0) trying to beg their way into the playoff. You lost to Pitt and got blown out 49-10 by Michigan.

thaima1shu

On the one hand, I'm glad that UW got in. On the other hand....against Bama. Oh boy.

rollntider

I agree Michigan is one of the top 4 teams, wished you guys had beaten OSU. IF you had would you guys have gone to the B1G title game? I think Michigan/OSU winning would have been in the final 4.

As for the Washington/Bama matchup Thai, I am not as familiar with UW as i would like. I will research some in the coming weeks. The talking heads kill me when they say a scrambling QB beats us. That is false. A dead accurate QB who can run will beat us or give us fits.

If you look at Bama's losses since 2008 they lost to a QB that played out of their mind

2008 Tebow was dropping dimes in that game, no way we win that if that happens. Utah's QB did the same.

2010 Bama had the most talent in 18 years on their roster and lost 3 games. Why ? Stephen Garcia at South Carolina who is average QB at best played out of his mind, and was not a scrambler. LSU beat us with an average QB, QB play was not a factor. Auburn - Cam Newton 28-27 dude won the Heisman and lit it up in the 2nd half.

2011 LSU - QB play was not a factor in this one. Defense won this one for them.

2012 A&M - Manziel won the Heisman that day, turned chicken shit into chicken salad with his mistakes. Example of how that day went
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtxaHwgr6ZQ

2013 Auburn everyone is talking about the kick 6, Auburn fans brag about that more than their 2010 National title or 2013 SEC title. Marshall dropped dimes and could run (regardless of lineman down field penalties that should have been called, he still played great) Oklahoma Their QB (Knight)who is at A&M now played his one and only great game and it was against us.

2014 - Ole Miss and OSU both had superb QB play in the passing game with some running involved.

2015 -  Chad Kelly at ole Miss sold his soul to the devil to be able to drop those dimes and was an adequate runner.

2016 - Though not a loss, Ole Miss Kelly played lights out although they scored late to make the score look close. Arkansas' Allen was a formidable passer in his own right and gave us a sweat. Appleby for UF in the 1st Qtr gave us shades of Trevor Knight, but his picks were his undoing.

UF is the toughest defense we have seen so far I think, even though we only scored 10 on LSU, we shot ourselves in the foot too many times (thanks Lane Kiffin). 

Top 4 defenses I have seen against Bama are

UF
USC
LSU
Auburn  (LOL at the barners bragging about their D in the iron Bowl, they gave up 500 yards to us  ;) )

thaima1shu

Good stuff Tider. Well I can tell you about Washington's QB play. For the Huskies to have a chance, the Jake Browning from the first 75% of the season will have to show up. He has been fantastic for the most part this season, but may be suffering from a sore/tired arm or something which has him playing much worse than usual. He's never going to wow you with arm strength and is more of a timing/anticipation QB with (normally) great accuracy - think Kellen Moore. He's very accurate on short to intermediate throws. We've hit on a lot of explosive passes down the field, but that's more a product of our receivers than Jake. He struggles throwing deep because of his lack of arm strength, so he underthrows a lot of deep routes. Luckily John Ross has been good enough to compensate for that.

Browning doesn't handle pressure too well, so that's where I see it falling apart. I think Alabama's defensive line is going to be a gigantic problem for this offensive line to handle.

rollntider

Good info, Bama's defense is nasty, but they can be beat if your QB can hit the throws quickly and accurately. Most OL's struggle with our DL, but Florida was ok for a half. You will see some fast defenders on Bama.  We can hit the edge quick and like to blitz on occasion, more than we did under Kirby Smart. Lane Kiffin likes to get cute on offense so we might make mistakes due to trying to be cute. If the cute plays pay off, then we might score a lot of points, if not, it might be an ole miss type of game where we have to play catch up to you guys. 

thaima1shu

Just booked my flight down to Atlanta. Fully expecting to be outnumbered 10 to 1 and to lose, but hard to pass up getting a chance to see UW in a playoff game.

rollntider

if I can find tickets at a price i can afford (with XMas coming) I will be there too. we will have to meet up