News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

PlayStation 5

Started by TheNorm, June 11, 2020, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Oh just shut up and take my money already. You had me at the Spider-Man: Miles Morales reveal about five minutes into the big presentation today*.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1271198364353220609

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1271193058210545665

*To be fair they had me the second the PS5 was announced but don't want to look too desperate here
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Here, have the Spider-Man: Miles Morales trailer.

https://youtu.be/gHzuHo80U2M
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I'm definitely excited. Some of those game trailers were A+, definitely the Miles Morales trailer, the surprise Resident Evil reveal too. I also like that there's a digital-only version and one with a disc drive still, although the fiancee tells me we're getting the one that can still take discs.

Still wish we had a price and a date, but, oh well.

As far as non-franchise games that caught my eye go:

Stray - I can play as a cat? Hell yes

Destruction All-Stars - if this is a battle royale type game with unique characters, unique abilities and car combat, then count me in. Kind of amazing we haven't gotten a "battle royale" Twisted Metal yet, kind of hoping this will be it.

Astro's Playground - the brief glimpses of gameplay and level design we got for this gave me huge Mario 64/Mario Odyssey vibes. I'm ok with having a Mario clone on PS5, if that turns out to be the case.

Returnal/Deathloop - two games that follow the "Edge of Tomorrow" style, which was already following a video game style, in that your character is in a time loop in both of these games, with death resetting the loop (except in Returnal, apparently the world around you changes when you die too). Deathloop's more cartoony/grindhouse feel was definitely cool, while Returnal looks particularly brutal and could fill the horror void left by the death of the Dead Space franchise.

TheNorm

Deathloop looked incredible! Trailer definitely drew me in.

Crewe

ok, so uh, fuck man....where am I going to get $1000 for this console?

No doubt it will be unleashed at Christmas to add to the frenzy, but Im worried if this thing comes out in 2020, no telling what will go wrong.

Oh, and discless all day for me.
I think...whichever one will be cheaper...

Crewe

Is thing really going to be white? Yuck.

So what will be the best avenue to buy one of the when released?
Im not one for going out to stores and deal with all that shit, especially during the holidays, so factor that in.
I dont keep up with this stuff, but do we anticipate a shortage during the holidays? is it all first come first serve?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on July 02, 2020, 05:21:01 PM

Im not one for going out to stores and deal with all that shit, especially during the holidays, so factor that in.
I dont keep up with this stuff, but do we anticipate a shortage during the holidays? is it all first come first serve?

Sony has said coronavirus has not impacted their production and/or shipping at all (the second part is a little more surprising), so, there should be no shortage by Sony's standards, at least.

Now, the usual low stock/high demand stuff will probably still occur because that seems to be how console releases go, but then again, why the hell would I try to predict ANYTHING in the future considering we now live in a daily disaster simulator?

Fiancee already said she plans to get 2, one for me and one for kiddo for xmas, which I'm totally on board for, but we'll see how successful that plan ends up being.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on July 02, 2020, 05:28:25 PM
Quote from: Crewe on July 02, 2020, 05:21:01 PM

Sony has said coronavirus has not impacted their production and/or shipping at all (the second part is a little more surprising), so, there should be no shortage by Sony's standards, at least.

Now, the usual low stock/high demand stuff will probably still occur because that seems to be how console releases go, but then again, why the hell would I try to predict ANYTHING in the future considering we now live in a daily disaster simulator?

Fiancee already said she plans to get 2, one for me and one for kiddo for xmas, which I'm totally on board for, but we'll see how successful that plan ends up being.

I should have been more clear, but this was my intended query.
So, yes, it will be like the Schwarzenegger Christmas movie mayhem apparently.

I initially was going to fuck off on this version and not get it, but since my console won't accept 5G and Ive had it for eons, Ill just assume it's about to die so I can go ahead and jump on this one. This is probably the first time Ive bought at release time since PS2.
I like the discloses idea, but on second thought, I still have a crapload of DVD movies and occasionally Ill throw one in when company is over, so maybe Ill rethink that, especially if there's a price difference. Do we know if there will be or not?

Crewe

Anyone keeping an eye out for availability?

TheNorm

Nope. Maybe next year. Game I wanted on PS5 is currently downloading on my PS4 as I write this, and it comes with a free upgrade to the PS5 version whenever I do get the new console. I'm good.

BojackHorsefella

I'm trying to, mainly for kiddo. Odds of snagging two are likely low, but him and my fiancee are both gonna try tonight, so we'll see. Walmarts site says they're doing it tomorrow at 12, 3, 6 and 9 PM Eastern, which is interesting.

Crewe

Walmart says 12pm eastern (11 here) on 11/12/20 for me. Weird we see different messages.

What game norm?

TheNorm

Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

BojackHorsefella

Kiddo got one last night from Sam's Club. Fiancee and I tried up here but failed, but that's ok. I mainly wanted to get one for him for Xmas, so now he's taken care of. Like Norm said, there aren't too many launch titles I care about, and if I want to bad enough I can go get Miles Morales on PS4 and take the free upgrade for PS5, so really no urgency.

I missed Walmart's this morning, but it says they'll have more in stock at 3 PM ET so we'll see. I'll try here and there, but mostly I'm just glad kiddo got his.

Crewe

I tried but it wouldnt load the cart and then it was out.

Honestly, it wouldnt be a big deal if I didnt pick one up either. Id like to, but Spider Man was really the only thing on my PS5 radar.
Im interested in the COD for sure but I think thats only PS4, so enlugh to keep me busy for a while