News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Nintendo's Plan to Quietly Kill the Wii U

Started by cflnut, December 05, 2014, 05:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflnut

QuoteThe Wii U is performing dismally at retail. It's the depressing reality in which we live, and one that has caused us to think up ways to improve the console's fate. What if Nintendo no longer bundled it with the expensive GamePad? Or partnered with outside studios willing to create exclusive games for the Wii U? Then maybe the system wouldn't lag so far behind its competitors. Though such moves might help Nintendo in the short term, they would be mere Band-Aids on an open wound. The Wii U is in a dire situation. I believe Nintendo has reconciled itself to that fact, and has already planned a way to bail from this sinking ship.

Enter the "quality of life" (QOL) platform. No one knows what to make of Nintendo's proposed QOL initiative, partly because we know almost nothing about it. Nintendo wants to improve people's lives in some indeterminate way--using non-wearable technology--and is going to introduce this nebulous product some time next year. According to CEO Satoru Iwata, whatever the QOL platform is, it will be entirely separate from their gaming ventures. Iwata said, "When we use 'health' as a keyword, some may inevitably think about 'Wii Fit.' However, we are considering themes that we have not incorporated to games for our existing platforms." But what if Nintendo has much grander plans for this mysterious device than they're letting on? This could be Nintendo's next big idea. An idea much more in-demand than their ill-advised tablet controller, and one that could propel the company to the same heights it enjoyed during the peak years of the Wii.

Read the full article Here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-plan-to-quietly-kill-the-wii-u/1100-6418177/

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

interesting, I am shocked the wiiU did not do as well. It was a better system than the wii. They still should have allowed BC with GC and WII and I think it might have faired better. Also a real friggin controller would have helped.

Sakura

That article is clickbait, there's no verifiable sources on anything in it.  Funny though, SEGA supported all of their consoles up until the death of their console division (including the Genesis), but Nintendo dropped all of their previous consoles the moment the new ones came out, yet SEGA are the ones who get the reputation for jumping ship.