Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2021, 04:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Luggnutz

January 26, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
 ;D

rollntider

November 07, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
 :D

Author Topic: The Movies Thread  (Read 65415 times)

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2021, 10:05:38 PM »
So I pulled out the ole re watch bin this weekend;
French Connection with Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider.
Such a good watch, and based on real cops and events.
I just loved these older action films. Director William Friedkin had no license for many of his street scenes, including the infamous car chase (which Hackman did drive, just not all of it) which meant you were seeing real New Yorkers go about their everyday lives.
Many real cops played parts here as the two the movie was based on were constantly on set advisors.
The transit driver was the real guy because the actor didnt show that day ... just a fun fact.
Hackman had a hard time with the racial language and attitude but wanted it to be like the actual character. Commentary suggests the cop was the opposite of his street persona which he needed so the dealers and street urchins would fear him.

Bullit with Steve McQueen
Yea, the car chase, the 1968 Mustang Fastback vs the 68 Charger. My first car was a beloved 67 Mustang fastback, so yea, Im a fan.

Prisoners
This movie is so good, just really really good. Im usually not a huge fan of Jake Gylleianwhatshisface but he, Jackman and Bello knocked it out of the park here.

Also included was the reboot of Amityville Horror, i.e. The Conjuring
This movie is just downright creepy, and me being a fan of horror, well, sign me up. Plus, Vera Farmiga :-)

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2021, 09:48:06 PM »
Arsenic and Old Lace
Cary Grant Priscilla Lane

Ive never seen this film but had it on the radar for a while and glad I finally watched it ass it was a fun film to watch.
As a kid when Id hear Cary Grant Id just roll my eyes, just another one of mom n dads old actor faves from those stupid black n white films.
Luckily, I began to appreciate said films a little later.
This film is a comedy and funny is funny whether it's 1943 or 2023.

Archive pull Sunday included The Wild Bunch and Vertigo. Love some good Hitchcock.
Wild Bunch is a good watch, but probably not too good for multiple watches. It's fun because it was so controversial in the late 60's when it was released because of certain themes in the film.
For my go to western though, I'd have to say...well...hang on, I've an idea for a top 5 topic now...

Offline BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2021, 12:45:00 AM »
Arsenic and Old Lace
Cary Grant Priscilla Lane
As a kid when Id hear Cary Grant Id just roll my eyes, just another one of mom n dads old actor faves from those stupid black n white films.
Luckily, I began to appreciate said films a little later.

Same boat! I actually watched Rear Window and Run Silent, Run Deep on separate plane flights and that broke me out of the mindset. Problem now is, those movies can only be watched at home, and my wife hasn’t reached that mindset yet with black and white movies.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 23, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
never seen Run Silent Run deep.

Start your wife off with No Time for Sergeants. I challenge her to not laugh.

Offline TheNorm

• Administrator
  • All Conference Team
  • Immigrants Built America
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2021, 11:44:12 AM »

This...looks a whole lot better than I thought it could be.
Hopefully makes up for the hot mess the last two movies were.
“But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.” - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline rollntider

• Administrator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:33 PM »
i dont think the matrix can be redeemed. the first one was good and not much more i liked about it.

Offline BojackHorsefella

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2021, 08:43:17 PM »

This...looks a whole lot better than I thought it could be.
Hopefully makes up for the hot mess the last two movies were.

I can't wait.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who considers Revolutions his favorite of the 3, and I don't even mind Reloaded.

I like the direction the trailer seems to be going in, especially if it's a bit less ensemble and the focus is on Neo and Trinity (it's a bit Toy Story 4, yeah?).

Given the absence of Laurence Fishburne, I'm also curious if they're following from The Matrix Online MMO. Supposedly, the Wachowskis wanted the Matrix to be a multi-media thing (thus the Animatrix), and why some games like Matrix Online and Enter the Matrix are considered canon to the story.

What's interesting about that, is in the MMO, part of the story was Morpheus trying to recover Neo's body from the machines because he believed Neo's memories were embedded in the Matrix and he could be resurrected. Later in the game, Morpehus died, which would explain his absence here and could potentially explain the plot (what if they recovered Neo's body but had to build their OWN matrix to "perform" the resurrection? Lot of directions to go here)

Anyways, count me in. Red pill secure.

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
I dont want to hear one person say this movie is awesome while trashing TFA in the same breath

Offline TheNorm

• Administrator
  • All Conference Team
  • Immigrants Built America
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2021, 10:41:03 AM »
TFA was great.

That being said, them seeming to not have much of a plan for what they wanted to do throughout the other two (and I'll always contend TLJ was the best of the sequel trilogy while ROS was a raging dumpster fire) hurt the sequels overall.

...and since we're on the topic of Star Wars now, Rogue One was easily the best Star Wars film out of the last 20+ years.

As maligned as the House of Mouse has been for the sequel trilogy (much of it deserved), the stuff they have on Disney+ (Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, Mandolorian) is incredible. Clone Wars even does a remarkable job of propping up the prequels just a bit.

I have spoken.  8)
“But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.” - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline Crewe

• Global Moderator
  • All Conference Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2021, 11:12:49 AM »
TFA was great.

That being said, them seeming to not have much of a plan for what they wanted to do throughout the other two (and I'll always contend TLJ was the best of the sequel trilogy while ROS was a raging dumpster fire) hurt the sequels overall.

...and since we're on the topic of Star Wars now, Rogue One was easily the best Star Wars film out of the last 20+ years.

As maligned as the House of Mouse has been for the sequel trilogy (much of it deserved), the stuff they have on Disney+ (Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, Mandolorian) is incredible. Clone Wars even does a remarkable job of propping up the prequels just a bit.

I have spoken.  8)

Agree on TFA
Agree there was no direction and not being able to get directors of 8 and 9 on a path was detrimental, however, I challenge your contention and swap out TLF and ROS. I do agree in the grand scheme, both were shit.
Agree with RO and the rest.

We get along pretty well, although it might be kinda rowdy in the bar when we get to discussing your misconception ;-)

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 48
  • Latest: lurees
Stats
  • Total Posts: 9686
  • Total Topics: 692
  • Online Today: 4
  • Online Ever: 900
  • (January 21, 2020, 03:13:19 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0