News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by Crewe, October 01, 2018, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

So I killed a guy on the road way with no-one around but somehow got a bounty on me. I can only assume the game just knows what you do, like God.
That's supposed to be what was great about the west. Who the hell was gonna know anything? That's why we dont know what happened to Johnny Ringo lol

It helps to either A) change your outfit (you can store 4 or 5 outfits on your horse), after you kill someone but before a witness finds them. Bandanda or mask could help too (love my dead pig face mask).

In any event, I dont know why I bother paying my bounty. Im not even out of the area and I have another on me, so back to the post office, again, without gettin killed.

I thought the same thing when I started my evil playthrough. "I'm never paying my bounties." But damn, those bounty hunters DO get annoying. Could thing I found those gold bars.....

How do you shoot while riding? I dont mean arming yourself, but damn, I have to slow down rotate around look for whoever, draw and shoot and by that time, Im dead.

So this was a big thing when the game first came out. I may have to check my settings later, but the controls are this game are VERY customizable, and also default to the less friendly versions. I believe you can turn on auto-aim for horseback which is really critical to being able to shoot while riding. Or at least make it less stiff to turn and aim.

I had the grizzly bear task after the other guy left me alone. I found the bear and shot him but he killed me. I couldn't fin him again so I just left it. Is that mission still a go for me? do I need to complete it somehow?
How? Where's the bear?

If it's the one with the old man, I BELIEVE that's the legendary grizzly. He should show up on your map as a little etching, or, you should have the Legendary Animals map in your satchel, and you should be able to find the general area he's hiding to find him again. When hunting legendaries, it'll tell you "You've entered legendary animal territory," and then you use Eagle Eye to start tracking them.

If it's the one where you're out with Charles, well, that one doesn't matter.

You're blindfolded and then come out of an elevator with three or four others and they start shooting, people screaming and you have to take part in killing people in an airport.

This is Modern Warfare 2. You're actually a spy, but whether you shoot civilians or not, they kill you at the end of the stage because they know.

And hey, do we stay in Horshoe camp for the entire game? Is that map the whole area we get?

Nope, you're going to move around a lot. The fun part was I explored the entire map before leaving the first camp (well, outside of Blackwater, obviously). I ended up making St. Denis something of a camp for myself (with all that money from the gold bars, it was my spot for drinking, poker, food, lodging and haircuts).

These side quests, cigarette cards, dinosaur bones, shit like that Im supposed to find, I guess you just luck out? I have no idea where to look for these items.

Basically luck or a guide. I know I said I was thinking about 100%ing my second playthrough, but this is the part that scares me. Even the challenges are whatever to an extent, but the dinosaur bones, rock engravings and cigarette cards pain me to think about.

Also, big game, like deer, alligator etc...you cant sell the carcass to a butcher? I skinned a deer, I know he will buy the pelt, but I toolkits the whole thing and it dint show up as something I could sell.

Strange, thought you could. I know for sure you can sell them to the pelt guy (should bring your legendaries to him too, I think?), but thought the butchers would take that too.

Edit to add, What the hell happens to my pelts? I killed and skinned an alligator and had his pelt on my horse. Put him up at a stable and now its gone. This has happened twice and pissed me off. Is there something I need to know?

I THINK this is a glitch that's been around since basically the start, but I can't remember. It might depend on the size of the pelt too. Bigger ones, like moose or gators, might disappear but smaller ones like deer will stay on, but it's admittedly been a while since I last played.

To the earlier point about "playing like you are," I always play these types of games as good/Paragon/Jedi first. Typically, it makes the game a bit more difficult, because you can't just do whatever you want (except Jedi usually means you get good healing skills as opposed to Sith, but that's a different set of games). So my first RDR2 playthrough was as a good cowboy. Obviously I did some not good things, but by the end of the game I was fully on the right side of that bar on the bottom.

As far as what it matters in-game, to Norm's point, you do get cheaper prices in stores for goods and the benefit of the doubt in some interactions. You also just get a generally more hopeful version of the game, as far as Arthur's story goes. Some of the choices and decisions make less thematic sense when you play evil (take it from me), but the game is still fun because, again, it's an evil playthrough. I can kill whoever I want, as long as i don't get stuck with a bounty, I don't care about any other karmic consequences, hahaha.

I know there's at least 4 endings to the game, and I THINK a secret 5th one but that may have been a year 1 rumor and nothing more (there were a couple things being chased down based on easter eggs in the game early. One was a missing princess in Van....Van...whatever that cave town is on the northeast. People thought you could find her, but she's not actually in the game, it turns out).

As far as the 4 endings (NO SPOILERS), you have to make a choice, so that's 2 endings there, plus the
good cowboy/bad cowboy component, thus 4 possible endings. My initial playthrough I went with the most honorable choice and had the most honor, so I got the best ending (at least, that I know of). My second playthrough will be much more dour.

Crewe

lots of good info there, thank you!!
I did figure out about the bear. I now get it about the cars, found a few of them.

I cant believe that was MW2, I loved that game! I was thinking it was that game with two brother characters, Kane and something .

So, I haven't looked at setting yet, but I will, but here's another HUGE issue.
So, I know you may not recall, but this is early on like in Chapter 2 where you rob the stage with Micah.
And th problem didnt arise here, its always there but just exacerbated here.
First, I have a good here, but I cannot for the life of me, keep up with him and the stage runs of the cliff.
To add to this, when Im riding, it seems like I slow when reloading which is fine and realistic but how do you catch up?
Thirdly, riding straight along while shooting, the coach turns right, well, I have to move the analog stick to the right (because that represents your vision and where you move) so when I do that, I almost stop, or at least slow down again.
This is a problem all the way through, but Ive dealt with is so far until now.

And maybe Im the problem. So, when you spur your horse to accelerate with the x button, do you hold the x? I always have the left analog pointing straight ahead while holding the x and then Ill tap x again if I want to go faster then hold again.
Maybe I just dont understand controls.

And regarding the pelt, thinking back, I may have died, causing me to lose it, cant recall? IN any event, now I have to go back and get me another alligator dammit.
Loved that battle with the bounty hunters in the swamp with Black Belle lol

I'll be back...

TheNorm

Been so long since I've gone through that mission, but as far as the horse goes I tap the button a few times to get up to the desired speed then tap in time with the horse gallops so you don't expend as much of the horse's stamina.

And yes, if you died while you had any pelts or skins or your horse, you lose all of those. Again, going off of memory here since it's been awhile since I tried hunting for that stuff, but I'm almost positive that's what happened.

Funny that you guys mentioned MW2, playing through that one right now. Still not a big fan of that mission even now, but overall the story was very well done. Just wish it included the multiplayer too because MP for that game was amazing.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

yea I didnt recall it was MW 2. I want the new one but waiting for a price drop.

I dont get that whole tap with the gallop thing.

So I just played it again and caught the coach. So, I use the left analog for direction of the horse, but if you turn right lets say, you keep looking straight ahead until you correct that with the right analog. terrible to try to fight while doing that.
So if you guys could throw in some settings advice Id appreciate it.
And also, what upgrades are worth it?
So far I dont pick up any weapons off dead guys nor do I buy any.
Same for horses (Ive tried roping a few random but they always get away even after I calm them. Oh and is there a way to catch a horse and lead him to a stable while riding yours?
But back to upgrades, camp stuff, horse appearance, my appearance, shit like that I not mess with right now because dough is a problem. Do they matter?
And can you select the kind of poker you play in a saloon?
I think thats all for now, again lol

TheNorm

I honestly don't remember my settings at all lol...

As for weapons, I'll loot whatever and if it's one of the higher up bounties I'll keep the weapon; I know some of them have decent guns or whatever. Making sure the weapon is clean and in good condition is key, as I'm sure you're finding out. And yes, you can catch a horse and lead him while riding yours. Pretty certain it's once you have them lasso'd you just wander over to your horse and mount up. Just need to keep the button held down IIRC. Once money becomes a bit easier to get I upgraded whatever I could in the camp. As far as weapons, I typically set up a camp every once in awhile and split point my ammo. If you're gonna get into the hunting stuff and want decent pelts than you'll probably need to acquire a varmint rifle for the smaller animals. I didn't, but I was more story driven with my initial playthrough.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 14, 2020, 06:22:49 PM
Pretty certain it's once you have them lasso'd you just wander over to your horse and mount up.

SPEAKING of lasso, considering it took me forever to realize this:

If you want to save bullets AND want to get PERFECT pelts, USE YOUR LASSO. Once you've spotted a deer/elk/moose you can lasso them (gotta hold the button down and watch your stamina), walk up and knife them with a "press square to kill" prompt. This ensures no 3-star pelts suddenly become 2 or 1 star because you missed a shot, not that I'd know anything about ruining pelts in this game.....

Crewe

I honestly don't remember my settings at all lol...

As for weapons, I'll loot whatever and if it's one of the higher up bounties I'll keep the weapon; I know some of them have decent guns or whatever. Making sure the weapon is clean and in good condition is key, as I'm sure you're finding out. And yes, you can catch a horse and lead him while riding yours. Pretty certain it's once you have them lasso'd you just wander over to your horse and mount up. Just need to keep the button held down IIRC. Once money becomes a bit easier to get I upgraded whatever I could in the camp. As far as weapons, I typically set up a camp every once in awhile and split point my ammo. If you're gonna get into the hunting stuff and want decent pelts than you'll probably need to acquire a varmint rifle for the smaller animals. I didn't, but I was more story driven with my initial playthrough.

We just moved our camp near St. Denis and that town, wow, what a change lol Very cool how they are telling the story of change in America.
But yea, I just collected a $100 bounty so I assume their weapons aren't worth taking yet, bu I guess you're right, I should start checking.

Nice to know about the roping, hopefully Ill get better at it now.
I do that with my ammo too. As far as hunting, I use a bow when I want pelts. But I forget about them for a while then I die and they do in fact disappear when that happens Iv discovered lol

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on April 14, 2020, 08:11:49 PM
Pretty certain it's once you have them lasso'd you just wander over to your horse and mount up.

SPEAKING of lasso, considering it took me forever to realize this:

If you want to save bullets AND want to get PERFECT pelts, USE YOUR LASSO. Once you've spotted a deer/elk/moose you can lasso them (gotta hold the button down and watch your stamina), walk up and knife them with a "press square to kill" prompt. This ensures no 3-star pelts suddenly become 2 or 1 star because you missed a shot, not that I'd know anything about ruining pelts in this game.....

Thats a good idea to practice roping, but I do use an arrow so same damage as a knife I presume.
I just realized your stamina must be high. I garnered a nice horse finally, and remembered to hold th rope. I got up to him and calmed him once or twice, and then he just got away. I then saw the note in the top left about stamina.
Funny thing those little dialog boxes. I rarely look at them cause I cannot read them for the life of me my eyesight is so bad.
I have to really glare and focus on it to read and then it disappears before I can decipher it and/or I lose complete track of what was happening on screen and die or have some other negative consequence, so the hell with it, I just don t even try any more lol
I feel like I miss out on a lot of guidance and direction but trying to read 8 point font isn't a win for me Im afraid. lol

Crewe

Questions re: legend health icons

So you have the heart icon and the ring around it, same with stamina and dead eye.
Would I be correct in that the ring is your capacity, i.e., core, and not your actual health?
So when in a fight, it doesn't matter really the status of the outside ring, just the heart icon, right? Or no.
Should I keep these filled all the time on my horse? Does it affect anything?

Re: camp icons.
I assume those in the top right are food, medicine and ammo.
I donate tons of shit and we are always in the red. My camp has as much if not more cash than I do.
Should I really give a crap about them being low? What does it hurt?

I have a crap ton of rifles I dont need. Can I sell them? I went to gunsmith in Rhodes and there's no option I see to sell them.
Could I sell through a fence?

Lastly, hate that I missed out on this and wonder if there's any way to get the option back to play it.
But the kid chained in the basement of the gunsmith in Rhodes. I accidentally stumbled across him and activated the mission. Once I realized how to rescue him, I was able to get downstairs and was supposed to shoot the chains off, bu I accidentally killed the kid lol
Ive since gone back and the kid was alive (I think I let myself be killed right away so it wold revert) and tried to "rob" the gunsmith since thats how you get down to the basement, but the second time, I accidentally shot the clerk. Didnt kill him though. He ran out and didnt come back till the next day.
Now when I go in, no option to rob and the kids not there.
I hear its a pretty depressing scene, but I guess Ill have to watch a YT video of it lol damn it.

BojackHorsefella

Questions re: legend health icons

So you have the heart icon and the ring around it, same with stamina and dead eye.
Would I be correct in that the ring is your capacity, i.e., core, and not your actual health?
So when in a fight, it doesn't matter really the status of the outside ring, just the heart icon, right? Or no.
Should I keep these filled all the time on my horse? Does it affect anything?

It's a little bit of both, from what I can remember. There's a benefit to keeping your cores full that I can't fully remember (especially for stamina purposes), but I believe when you're in a fight, the bars around the ring go first, and then your core gets depleted before you die. So, little column A, little column B.

Re: camp icons.
I assume those in the top right are food, medicine and ammo.
I donate tons of shit and we are always in the red. My camp has as much if not more cash than I do.
Should I really give a crap about them being low? What does it hurt?

I improved my camp when I was a good guy and kept everything stocked. It's a good cheap place to grab items if you're in want, but I never really used it. Only camp improvement I really made use of was fast travel.

I have a crap ton of rifles I dont need. Can I sell them? I went to gunsmith in Rhodes and there's no option I see to sell them.
Could I sell through a fence?

You...should be able to? I think? Maybe it depends on where you go. Not sure why Rhodes wasn't buying.

Lastly, hate that I missed out on this and wonder if there's any way to get the option back to play it.
But the kid chained in the basement of the gunsmith in Rhodes. I accidentally stumbled across him and activated the mission. Once I realized how to rescue him, I was able to get downstairs and was supposed to shoot the chains off, bu I accidentally killed the kid lol
Ive since gone back and the kid was alive (I think I let myself be killed right away so it wold revert) and tried to "rob" the gunsmith since thats how you get down to the basement, but the second time, I accidentally shot the clerk. Didnt kill him though. He ran out and didnt come back till the next day.
Now when I go in, no option to rob and the kids not there.
I hear its a pretty depressing scene, but I guess Ill have to watch a YT video of it lol damn it.

Yeah, I think I've gotten quite a few, if not most of the random encounters in this game. That one was something else. The brother and sister in the cabin though.........................

Crewe

thanks norm, very helpful.
And uh, brother and sister? lol

Ill have to look up the gunsmith kid video since I apparently cant achieve it now.

TheNorm

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 17, 2020, 04:16:21 PM
thanks norm, very helpful.
And uh, brother and sister? lol

Ill have to look up the gunsmith kid video since I apparently cant achieve it now.

Yeah. Some of the randoms I hit during my "good" playthrough. The rest I encountered during my "bad" playthrough, so, they all ended tragically for the other people involved.

BojackHorsefella

As long as we're on the topic of random encounters, Norm, did you ever encounter the lone lady in the upper northeast cabin, in the final chapter before the epilogue? It became very important to me to help her out in my good playthrough, and it was interesting going back there in the epilogue. Think I may just not swing by that way in my evil playthrough.......

Crewe