News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NASCAR

Started by Bret, September 13, 2014, 01:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret

Any of y'all watch NASCAR?

As a kid, I used to. Back then, there wasn't the coverage that there is today. Back then it was VERY rare to see a complete race. And, every race of the season? Just forget it. I kinda fell out of NASCAR around the early 90's. I guess you could say when Richard Petty's career was winding down, so too was my interest in NASCAR.

But, I married a NASCAR fan, so I've kind of gotten back in to it. There is A LOT of room for improvement in the sport, and that is evidenced by the many empty seats that we see at most of the race tracks these days. It is yet another story of

Thing A works, change to thing B which doesn't work, so instead of going back to Thing A you just try everything you can to futiliy try to get Thing B to work and force it down everyone's throat, then wonder why ratings and attendance is down. The NASCAR Chase is reminding me a lot of the BCS in college football.

Just wondering if any of you guys or gals watched? Do any of you have an opinion on the Tony Stewart situation?

rollntider

The chase really deterred me from watching. I used to watch Davey Allison and some Jeff Gordon, but nah itis really not my thing

Crewe

I like watching and have been to Teas Motor Speedway once this season and going again in November.
A lot of people like the Chase but I'm not sold on it yet

Bret

To me, the Chase is a non-issue when the guy who wins the chase and the guy with legitimately the most points are the same guy. That happened in '13, '12, '09, '06, '05, and didn't happen in '11, '10, '08, '07, '04. We're only batting .500 there.

To me, when the Chase champ is someone different than the legit points champ, it feels as if NASCAR is rewriting history, and that a driver who actually earned the Cup got dicked out of it.

This is why I compare it to the BCS. It didn't work, it was clear it didn't work, but the NCAA wouldn't let it go. They just kept changing it and changing it and changing it until they maybe gave up on it and now they appear to have this playoff system which doesn't look very good, either. Anyone you know like the BCS? I don't know anyone who likes it. I don't know very many NASCAR fans, but the ones I do know don't like the Chase, either.

I hate it when sports leagues change merely for the sake of change.

rollntider

The BCS got it right all but 2 years?

The problem with the BCS it only involved the top 2 teams... Now the formula is scrapped and we are going to take the top 4 conference champs..  we are now following the chase formula in CFB...

Crewe

I should clarify, I like the Chase setup this year...