The Official 2014 College Football Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, August 28, 2014, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 21, 2014, 07:40:29 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 21, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
Quote from: thaima1shu on December 19, 2014, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 18, 2014, 03:44:14 PM
you mean like he pushed out Alex Smith for no reason other than injury?
The hell with everything Harbaugh, both of em

Are you a big Alex Smith fan or something?

If I was would that make my dislike for Harbaugh moot?
I wish nothing but the worst career wise for both Harbaugh's and their teams.

:o

And now even I'm curious about the root of the dislike here.

lol
first off, thai, just re read my post and thought it might be confusing; I was hoping to point out that if I did like Alex Smith, my hatred for Harbaugh would've been written off simply as sour grapes which is not the case, although, since then, I always hoped Alex Smith would flourish. And while I think about it and way off topic, I've always always always hated that term coined around him, game manager.
Hey dipsticks, thats what a QB IS! A game manager.  Stupid media.
So what was the question norm? lol
I've hated Jim since his playing days, just an arrogant little shit who like today just whines and looks for the flag. I really enjoyed Dallas beating the Bears in the 91 playoffs.
And on Smith, no, I didn't think that was cool what he did to Smith, losing his job to Kap. I understand hot hand and all that, but Smith had been doing just fine and had the hot hand as well. butthead just liked the flash of Kap. That was the first Super Bowl I did not give one single shit about, in fact, hoped it would be the lowest rated turd floater in history.
The other one isn't as bad but still runs his mouth and is full of shit and whines a lot but Jim is a petulant ass.

thaima1shu

I gotcha crewe. The point of my Alex Smith post was really just the same as Norm's, in that I was just curious about why you have such disdain for the Harbaughs. Now it all makes sense.

And I feel you on the game manager thing. I hear it all the time about Russell Wilson. It's just so funny to me.

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on December 22, 2014, 12:22:26 PM
I gotcha crewe. The point of my Alex Smith post was really just the same as Norm's, in that I was just curious about why you have such disdain for the Harbaughs. Now it all makes sense.

And I feel you on the game manager thing. I hear it all the time about Russell Wilson. It's just so funny to me.

yea, doesn't make much sense. And to that, Wilson is playing out of his mind right now. I hope we don't see you in the playoffs because I don't get the feeling it would be a repeat of earlier this year.

rollntider

Crewe

TheNorm

The Michigan athletic department wished Jim Harbaugh Happy Birthday yesterday. As you can expect, the media went nuts with it.  ::)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12072093/michigan-wolverines-wish-happy-birthday-san-francisco-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh

I really have nothing left to say about this situation...all I know is that this circus is far from over, and if I thought things went into overdrive last week that'll be nothing compared to when the 49ers wrap up on Sunday.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 25, 2014, 12:59:02 AM
It's better than a farve story maybe...

Yep...you're right-can't argue with you there.  :P
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on December 25, 2014, 06:57:11 PM
Who do you want as coach Norm?

I want the best man for the job that plans on staying for awhile simply so I don't have to worry about him jumping ship back to the NFL again. Is Jim Harbaugh the best man for the job? Out of the current candidates mentioned, absolutely. But I also think he'll jump ship to the NFL down the road (and to be fair, any successful college head coach should be getting interest from the NFL), and that's where my concern comes in. Michigan needs someone that can right the ship and return the program to where it should (naturally) be. They'll get that with Jim, without a doubt...but for how long?

Dan Mullen would be my second choice...actually, make that third. John Harbaugh would be my second choice.

rollntider

I think Dan Mullen would excel in that job. His problem is he has to fight LSU, Alabama, Florida for recruits and you got dirty tactics with Ole Miss and Auburn that makes that job tougher than it should be. (Wonder what would have happened if Cam went to state like it was originally planned before shenanigans got involved?)  Mullen would have won the SEC in 2010 and more than likely the national title with Cam, he was that good.

I think he could win a big 10 title and compete for a national title at a named school.

TheNorm

*EDIT* Added link to MGoBlog with confirmation from Michigan columnist/historian John U. Bacon. When he confirms, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion.

http://mgoblog.com/content/harbaugh-michigan

Barring a very last minute change of heart (and as far as I'm concerned nothing is 100% certain until he signs that contract and is introduced as head coach this Tuesday), Jim Harbaugh is coming home. Definitely got this one wrong lol-hope I'm eventually wrong about Harbaugh also jumping back to the NFL too.

Immediate impact: Brady Hoke didn't leave the proverbial cupboards bare, he was able to recruit top 10 recruiting classes all the years he was here-his biggest flaw was not being able to develop them (especially at QB). Jim Harbaugh has excelled at that throughout his college coaching career, and I've little doubt that'll change now. Current QBs Shane Morris, Russell Bellomy, and Wilton Speight need the guidance he can provide, but they'll also have to hold off incoming recruit Alex Malzone. That being said, Harbaugh and his assistants have a lot of work to do the next few weeks to salvage this recruiting class that was decimated when quite a few high profile recruits bailed once Hoke was fired (and before that).
The Harbaugh hiring also give the Big Ten a boost, and as someone that's bashed the Big Ten the last couple of years (it's all been deserved) they need him.

Long-term: if he stays more than 4 years, Michigan could be back among the elites not just in the Big Ten but in college football.

He's a good hire even with my reservations, and he really is IMO the best man for the job at Michigan. Interim AD Jim Hackett also deserves a lot of credit for this hiring - he went after his man quietly but by all accounts also did it the right way. Take the interim tag off already.

Since I'm also highlighting statements I was completely wrong on, let's try this one too: The Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather megafight will never happen, since Floyd's too much of a puss to sign the contract. :D

rollntider

Congrats, would love to see Michigan back among the elites.

Also the big10 needs a classier team to represent them in the playoffs. OSU fans are pulling the notre dame stunt, and doing nothing but hurling insults and southern stereo types.   I hope we crush them worse than we did Notre Dame.

As for Bowls, I am going to rant on why did not the bowl people match A&M and Texas up.  While Arkansas and Texas, A&M vs. WV, will be good games, but come on, you have a chance at renewing a rivalry.

For all of the talk about the ACC > SEC after the last week off the season (ACC Swept SEC  in rivalry games and the SEC east is very weak this year) ACC 0-4 in bowls? Pulling for Clemson today with that said :)

After watching Bama play A&M and WV, I am not sure who would win, A&M gave up in the 2nd qtr. of the Bama game. One of a few times I saw a team give up. I think WV can win it though, they seem to keep on fighting even if behind. Pulling for A&M thinking WV for the win though.

The 6 games I have seen teams give up:
1990 Alabama vs Louisville (Fiesta Bowl)
1991 Alabama vs Florida (Bama rebounded to finish 11-1)
1996 LSU vs Bama
2008, 2012 Auburn teams vs. Bama
2014 A&M vs Bama

Crewe

TheNorm

Uhhh...I don't think you're supposed to do this.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/29/texas-am-coach-hits-west-virginia-players-video

And he did it twice? Have fun trying to find a job in football down the road, kid. Maybe after you get some professional help first because you clearly need it.