Started by TheNorm, January 03, 2018, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 27, 2018, 01:44:55 AM

Curveball coming....David Allen Coe, You never even called me by my name

I like that song, but stay away from country when going under the influence LOL

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on January 27, 2018, 06:40:29 AM
I won't be able to finish this, as I'm going on a cruise starting later day (currently at Dulles, waiting to fly down to Charleston)

Finish when you get back. Safe travels

rollntider

Day 25
A song that tells a story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

There were many songs by many artists, but this one I did not get the first few times I heard. I thought it was a catchy kids song. My daughter pointed out the meaning and I actually listened to the lyrics and was amazed, shocked and impressed.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on January 26, 2018, 11:47:08 PM
Day 24
A song that's heightened when you're under the influence

Man Soundgarden rocks

Trying to spread out my music choices, or else I could fill out most of these with Led Zepplin or Sound garden LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk
Radiohead - creep

Great f'ing tune!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on January 27, 2018, 06:40:29 AM
I won't be able to finish this, as I'm going on a cruise starting later day (currently at Dulles, waiting to fly down to Charleston)

Have a good time man...jump back in anytime, thread will still be here when you get back.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on January 27, 2018, 10:23:10 PM

Day 25
A song that tells a story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

There were many songs by many artists, but this one I did not get the first few times I heard. I thought it was a catchy kids song. My daughter pointed out the meaning and I actually listened to the lyrics and was amazed, shocked and impressed.

Same here with that one; absolutely loved the beat at first, even added it to my running playlist because it had a good tempo. Then I actually listened to the words one day. Hell of a story.

Crewe

I realize this one is saturated in ur brains, but to me, there are few songs that tell a story so relatable, so simple and seriously, hasn't this happened to all of us in some form or fashion?
It always reminded me of Gilley's honkey tonk here (Urban Cowboy anyone?)
"You could hear me screamin a mile away as I was headed out towards the door" is a lyric that gets a smile if not a laugh every single time I hear it because it paints such a great visual. Van Zant didnt get enough credit as a song writer IMO
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gimmie Three Steps

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 28, 2018, 12:21:52 AM
I realize this one is saturated in ur brains, but to me, there are few songs that tell a story so relatable, so simple and seriously, hasn't this happened to all of us in some form or fashion?
It always reminded me of Gilley's honkey tonk here (Urban Cowboy anyone?)
"You could hear me screamin a mile away as I was headed out towards the door" is a lyric that gets a smile if not a laugh every single time I hear it because it paints such a great visual. Van Zant didnt get enough credit as a song writer IMO
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gimmie Three Steps

another good song

TheNorm

Day 26
A song with a political message

So many I could go with: Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, U2...but I'll go with one that holds for me today.

The Hamilton Mixtape - K'Naan feat. Residente, Riz MC & Snow Tha Product - Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)

Crewe

Yea lots to choose from here. I was gonna go modern with holiday, even though I despise green day, and One is always at the top of discussions like this, but again, I'm going with a ubiquitous choice.
Fortunate Son, CCR.
Mainly because nothing pisses me off more than rich injustice especially when you play with other people's lives like checker pieces.
Sad thing is, as great as the song is, the morons it was targeting probably loved it because they were too stupid to know they were being insulted. Just like Ronald Reagan with Born in the USA. Dimwit.

TheNorm

Great tune, that was definitely on my shortlist to choose from.

Crewe

A few categories like theses could spawn endless discussions in their own right  :D

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 29, 2018, 10:51:16 AM
A few categories like theses could spawn endless discussions in their own right  :D

That's the truth...almost any song can have a political message.  ;D

TheNorm

Day 27
A song about recklessness

You could pretty much take any track off of License to Ill, right? Going with this one.

Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey

Crewe

nice.
Ill go with Johnny Cash, A Boy Name Sue