News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

windows 10 free may be free

Started by rollntider, March 18, 2015, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Question for you Bret. I am about to upgrade my puter, Yes i still build them. I currently have win 7 Ent.

1. Is there a way to do a fresh install on the new build and get it that way?
2. I guess I am stuck with pro since enterprise wont be free?

Bret

Yes there is. Here's how I did it...

MS is offering the images in esd format (I think). If you google mydigitallife Windows 10 (awesome site, membership is free), you'll see a thread with download links, and also the decrypter files which will convert them to more familiar ISO's. Burn yourself a copy, or make an installer with a jump drive (I just burned some DVD's. Slower, but I "have them").

You'll want the Pro version. From what I've read, the only differences between Pro and Enterprise of Windows 10 is the licensing.

Upgrade your Win 7 to 10. Skip any request for a product key (there will be two or three). Once it is done, it will be activated. MS is storied hardware ID's for activated systems. So, at this point you can go ahead and do your fresh install, again skipping requests for keys. At this point MS will reference your hardware ID and will go ahead and activate.

This is what I did...and it worked for me twice already (one desktop, one laptop)

rollntider

Well I built my computer and went ahead and installed win 7. I am reluctant to go to 10 just yet.

Crewe

Quote from: Sakura on June 04, 2015, 02:08:04 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 03, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
and of course we know that means its always the best product dont we? ;-)
Not really what I'm saying at all, sarcasm or not, but you can't force end-users or developers alike to abandon the most heavily used market and go off into wild country to adopt Loonix.  And OS X is the worst choice of all.  Until Vulkan and/or Mantle become a standard (if they become a standard), then Direct3D is still the most heavily used API.  Even the current de facto standard multiplatform API (OpenGL) is only used by a small number of companies.

And a lot of developers wouldn't switch anyway because there is no registry system to protect their proprietary software from decompilers, and no way to handle proper DRM systems for paid software (because of how open and exploitable Linux tools are).  I'm not saying that I agree with the way things are, but, from a business stand point it's hard to dissuade a developer from wanting to protect their software should they feel that piracy is too rampant an issue.

What would you suggest?

That you take it for the sarcastic comment it was. Mac handles everything i need for my business and then some, Windows is a serious pain in the ass and ill never go back. So dont we both have our preferences?

rollntider

Yeah not going to 10 anytime soon.

Bret

I would recommend 10. It has all the interface goodness of Windows 7, and all the "under the hood" goodness of Windows 8.1 (there was a lot of goodness there, trust me).

Now that it is out, I see why 10 is free...they want to collect all the info they can about you, and give you targeted advertising. The masses will just install all the defaults and leave them on. The smarter people can turn off the data-mining technologies and enjoy both a great OS and privacy.

rollntider

thats what I was worried about the datamining and privacy issues.