News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

RIP AIM (AOL Messenger)

Started by rollntider, October 06, 2017, 04:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Sakura

I wish I could say I'll miss it, but I haven't logged into that awful client in years.  The only add value that AIM had over the competition was that a person could leave a message for you when you were offline, and it would show up when you logged in.  Although everyone adopted that feature within the next 2 years anyway.  Nowadays I use Discord and Steam, I can't think of any strictly IM clients that I would want to actually use.  Skype is a mess (no surprise, considering Microsoft owns it these days), and Discord just does every aspect that Skype does much better.  Hell, even Teamspeak and Ventrillo have been overshot by Discord.  And they even added screensharing and video calls a couple days ago. :D  But for all the "good" that AIM provided, it had major issues.  Service outages all the time, no chat history for the longest time, no real security features (including not being encrypted) .. plus it was owned by a dying company, so there wasn't anyone working on it most of the time anyway.

In 10 years' time, I'm sure that Discord will be the old app and something new will have replaced it.  That's the thing about technology, you gotta always be updating and improving.  AOL stopped functioning as a business, stopped doing anything meaningful with AIM.  If you want an AIM like experience there's the TOR IM client.  It's got heavy duty encryption and it's lightweight as far as memory imprint goes.  And it just so happens to look exactly like AIM.  I wonder if that was intentional.

rollntider

I havent used aim since probably 2010....