News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

New Switch owner here

Started by rollntider, May 21, 2019, 11:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Hades definitely looks good, think I'll give that a shot shortly. Golf Story is actually pretty fun so far, but I've really been spending a lot of time on the NES and SNES online library. Some of the classics have drawn me back in.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I went from "I don't need Mario All-Stars, I've played Mario 64 enough in my life" to "I'm getting all 120 of these fricking stars at least once on my life" pretty quick, but it was worth it. On to Sunshine next I guess.

Crewe

what is Switch? I have no idea lol

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 12, 2021, 06:18:12 PM
what is Switch? I have no idea lol

Going to approach this seriously and hope I haven't been taken in by sarcasm :D

So after the Wii U, Nintendo came out with the Nintendo Switch. Initially there was one version, now there are two (soon to be three). At a low level of explanation:

Nintendo Switch - the original. Basically, a large handheld device that has a separate dock (sold WITH, I think, but a separate physical piece) so that it can be played both on-the-go, and via a TV through the dock connection. Comes with two very small controllers called joy-cons, and has other controllers that can be bought (the "Pro" controller being the most Xbox/PS like). I'm not a huge fan of the joy-cons myself. Has some internal storage, and MicroSD support for add-on storage.

Switch Lite - this is what I own. I use my PS4 (and eventually PS5) for most of my big AAA games and co-op games (Apex Legends, Overwatch, etc), so I wanted something solely for the on-the-go or "I just want to play on the couch while we watch irreverent TV" type of deal, and that's the Lite. CANNOT be docked or hooked up to a TV in any way, you can buy external controllers for it but like a Gameboy, the controls are built into the device on purchase. Little more battery power for on-the-go, little less processing power though so games can be a bit more clunky (I've definitely noticed this with Apex compared to watching others with an actual Switch). I'm very happy with it, because it's exactly what I wanted, and the Nintendo eShop has a robust selection of great indie games, a lot of pixel-based ones too (The Messenger, Shovel Knight, Into the Breach...a lot of indies of the same type I used to buy on Steam).

That being said, I did recently buy a bunch of Mario games, and they play smoothly on the Lite (Mario Maker 2, Mario 3D World, Mario All-Stars which is no longer on sale as of March 31st because Nintendo is weird....)

Nintendo Switch...Pro? - not much known about this, but basically supposed to be a stronger powered version of the regular Switch, to compete with PS5 and XBox S, although not to win that competition. That being said, I think this is mostly hearsay at this point and hasn't OFFICIALLY been unveiled yet, although I could be wrong, I haven't fully followed it.

Crewe

that was not sarcasm and thank you  :D

TheNorm

I've been more than happy with my Switch purchase so far. Pac-Man 99 has been a blast during the moments I get to play it. Also can't wait to pick up the Mario Golf game in a couple months too.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 13, 2021, 05:24:53 PM
I've been more than happy with my Switch purchase so far. Pac-Man 99 has been a blast during the moments I get to play it. Also can't wait to pick up the Mario Golf game in a couple months too.

Extremely excited for Mario Golf, and love both of the 99 games. I've only gotten so far as 8th in Pac-Man (once, my ONLY time doing better than being in the 30s, so I guess it was a fluke).

TheNorm

Finally got around to picking up Hades since it was on sale. Good game so far, really enjoyable.

Friend of mine also talked me into Slay the Spire, but I'm not familiar with card/deck building type games yet. Might fire that up in a bit.

rollntider

since I moved I found my switch but not my games lol, wanna get back to links awakening....

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 18, 2021, 02:59:45 AM
Finally got around to picking up Hades since it was on sale. Good game so far, really enjoyable.

Friend of mine also talked me into Slay the Spire, but I'm not familiar with card/deck building type games yet. Might fire that up in a bit.

Have heard great things about Slay the Spire, was eyeing that myself. Would love to hear what you think of it if you get it.