News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Armed guards at schools

Started by Crewe, August 06, 2019, 09:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Re: Hannity's recent comments about armed guards at schools, someone on reddit poured some basic calculations I thought was interesting...
Bold is me.

Let's look at these number here for some sanity:
There are 132,853 K-12 schools in the U.S., according to 2015-16 data from the National Center for Education Statistics

Below, user imbignate is responding to the above quote

Let's say that each of those schools has two points of entry and exit, that's
132,853 x 2 = 265,706 posts to man.
And since you need them redundant, you have to put to guards at each post, that's
265,706 x 2 = 531,412 armed guards
And let's say you need to have extra guards, even a 20% margin of error, to account for sick days, rotation, days off, etc, that's
531,412 x 120% = 637,695 guards
And now, not forgetting logistics and support which would require a maybe 1 to 5 staffing ratio for payroll, timekeeping, maintenance, equipment, etc, that's:
637,695 x 120% = 765,234 people in this security force.
So, that's over three-quarters of a million people, over 80% of which are armed personnel, to protect our society. As a point of comparison, that's over FIVE TIMES THE SIZE OF THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS! We're not even willing to pay teachers to have paper and we're going to fund a sixth branch of the military to defend our students? Or are we going to contract it out to parent volunteers? Parents can't even go to soccer games without getting into fights and we're going to give them AR-14's and stand them at the playground to watch Kayden and Jayden? This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time, which means it will probably get massive support from the GOP base.
edit: I missed this point, but we're going to do this with volunteers working 15 hours a week, nevermind the fact that we can't adequately staff a school carnival, but let's now TRIPLE the number of guards and do our numbers again:
531,412 x 3 x 120% (guards) x 120% (logistics) = 2,295,700 personnel
That's 50% larger than the entire US army. That's. Just. Crazy.

TheNorm

Bingo, couldn't agree more with the response.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr