News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Washington Redskins

Started by Crewe, July 03, 2020, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I thought this might be rough for a chit chat topic so I put it here, even though it probably doesn't belong here either.

So, first off, Im not Native American so I dont feel oppression first hand with regard to this team name.
Is this too much? Changing the team name? How about the Aunt Jemima rebranding?
Pro teams change names so it's not a big deal except the reasoning here is what's stoking the fire. I always thought the mascot Redskins was used not in a pejorative, but honorable context, however that is long lost by now.
I really don't have an issue one way or the other. If you pressed me, I'd say leave it alone because that would give reason to rename and rebrand other schools, teams and who knows what else, ... street names? I dont know.
Id like to hear from someone affected and or offended by the name because while I can read and learn about it, just like I can read and learn about slavery, I can't live it.

What negatives does "Redskin" actually infer? Is it that everything thinks "Redskins" are a bunch of whooping yelling scalping murderers? When I was a kid, that was normal because that's how they were portrayed on every show and movie I watched, not because of a football team. And once I was educated I learned and moved on from my 6 year old self.
Nowadays, you dont find those negative connotations with the Native Americans, at least not ubiquitously.

So the fun part of this thread is, if a new name is forthcoming, what should the team mascot be now?

TheNorm

Do it.

https://twitter.com/_JakeRussell/status/1279068397658136578

Nothing like hitting 'em in the pocket to force their hand. Once this changes, someone go after that hockey team in Chicago too.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on July 03, 2020, 12:23:08 PM
I thought this might be rough for a chit chat topic so I put it here, even though it probably doesn't belong here either.

So, first off, Im not Native American so I dont feel oppression first hand with regard to this team name.
Is this too much? Changing the team name? How about the Aunt Jemima rebranding?
Pro teams change names so it's not a big deal except the reasoning here is what's stoking the fire. I always thought the mascot Redskins was used not in a pejorative, but honorable context, however that is long lost by now.
I really don't have an issue one way or the other. If you pressed me, I'd say leave it alone because that would give reason to rename and rebrand other schools, teams and who knows what else, ... street names? I dont know.
Id like to hear from someone affected and or offended by the name because while I can read and learn about it, just like I can read and learn about slavery, I can't live it.

What negatives does "Redskin" actually infer? Is it that everything thinks "Redskins" are a bunch of whooping yelling scalping murderers? When I was a kid, that was normal because that's how they were portrayed on every show and movie I watched, not because of a football team. And once I was educated I learned and moved on from my 6 year old self.
Nowadays, you dont find those negative connotations with the Native Americans, at least not ubiquitously.

So the fun part of this thread is, if a new name is forthcoming, what should the team mascot be now?

I'm not sure you can make that separation when the word itself is a slur, no matter how respectful anything else is.

I think that's why we see a lot of the "Why aren't the Chiefs under fire?" comments. This isn't really an appropriation conversation (yet, at least). It fully comes down to that one word: redskin.

It's stupid they've stood by it this long, and it's long overdue for change.

Crewe

I accidentally modified your post with my response unintentionally, hence the edit lol

that's fair. I knew the name was a slur, but didnt factor that in to my post because I was numb to it honestly which was kinda the point of the thread.

TheNorm

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/sports/reports-washington-to-shed-redskins-name-monday/5256516/

Bye...now I have to clown on the team for something other than their racist slur of a nickname.

Ah, Snyder still owns it so plenty of material. That was easy.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I hear the majority likes Redtails or Redwolves

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on July 13, 2020, 09:51:18 AM
I hear the majority likes Redtails or Redwolves

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1282527594269876224

I hate this team...but damn, if they go with something like this I would absolutely buy some of it.