News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Microtransactions

Started by Crewe, August 21, 2020, 08:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I was researching a great range game to play as I haven't seen one since Motorsport I think it was called.
It was narrowed to to Dirt 4 and F1 2020.
Partiality played its role and lured me to F1, that is until I discovered, micro transactions.
Then I just said, fuck off.
Ok, not quite. I did read a bit an apparently items that were offered up even in 2019 version are now behind a paywall. Of course you can gain most everything through playing and XP, but why the hell when you had it out of the gate last year?
I'm real sour on MT in a game. Charge me the fuck up front and don't hide items, levels or anything in your product.
You want to sell an expansion? Fine, Im down for that, but kiss off with this nonsense.

All that said, I'm sure MT are here to stay now, so one more reason to despise EA.

TheNorm

I'm not a fan of it either but EA, 2K, and even SDS (MLB The Show) all know they can make a ton of cash off of the Ultimate Team or MyTeam online "card" modes. I don't play them all that much but I get the allure, especially with the explosion of eSports the last few years. NBA 2K has a decent offline mode with their MyTeam and they do enough with the card giveaways to draw you in. I still play MyCareer (their version of RTTS) more, but MyTeam has moved past Franchise for me (probably because the Pistons are a dumpster fire in game lol). Yeah, the grind can suck and consume a lot of time but if you're not playing online competitively it doesn't matter much in that particular instance. To each their own though. I think for 2K19 and 2K20 I spent maybe an extra $15 each for VC to give my MyCareer guy a boost early. All the coins I spent on card packs for their MyTeam came off the coins I grinded away for in MyCareer.

Has it caused the companies to focus more on those modes at the expense of revamping franchise modes in their sports games? Don't know, it's definitely plausible. Am I being particularly naive about this? More than likely.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

Having played 2k basketball since its inception I have seen a direct correlation between my team's inclusion and a lack of improvement to the MyGM or franchise mode.  The same is true in madden once their "myteam" mode came into existence the franchise mode stoped being a priority.  There is no solution for it.  It is revenue driven and from that perspective I understand it but for a guy that wants to play franchise it truly means their is no reason to buy the year to year update of the games.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on August 24, 2020, 03:16:04 PM
Having played 2k basketball since its inception I have seen a direct correlation between my team's inclusion and a lack of improvement to the MyGM or franchise mode.  The same is true in madden once their "myteam" mode came into existence the franchise mode stoped being a priority.  There is no solution for it.  It is revenue driven and from that perspective I understand it but for a guy that wants to play franchise it truly means their is no reason to buy the year to year update of the games.

that's another thing, and not only because of what you state, but now, you have to have so many freakin people to make these games now, they cant address just the core of their game. It has to be spent on feature a or b or c. Like RTTS in the Show was bland for years because of this and it sucks too.
I watched the end credits after finishing RDR2 the first time, I dont know if anyone else has but good lord, it was well over fifteen minutes of just credits rolling, absolutely incredible.