News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

So I pulled out the ole re watch bin this weekend;
French Connection with Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider.
Such a good watch, and based on real cops and events.
I just loved these older action films. Director William Friedkin had no license for many of his street scenes, including the infamous car chase (which Hackman did drive, just not all of it) which meant you were seeing real New Yorkers go about their everyday lives.
Many real cops played parts here as the two the movie was based on were constantly on set advisors.
The transit driver was the real guy because the actor didnt show that day ... just a fun fact.
Hackman had a hard time with the racial language and attitude but wanted it to be like the actual character. Commentary suggests the cop was the opposite of his street persona which he needed so the dealers and street urchins would fear him.

Bullit with Steve McQueen
Yea, the car chase, the 1968 Mustang Fastback vs the 68 Charger. My first car was a beloved 67 Mustang fastback, so yea, Im a fan.

Prisoners
This movie is so good, just really really good. Im usually not a huge fan of Jake Gylleianwhatshisface but he, Jackman and Bello knocked it out of the park here.

Also included was the reboot of Amityville Horror, i.e. The Conjuring
This movie is just downright creepy, and me being a fan of horror, well, sign me up. Plus, Vera Farmiga :-)

Crewe

Arsenic and Old Lace
Cary Grant Priscilla Lane

Ive never seen this film but had it on the radar for a while and glad I finally watched it ass it was a fun film to watch.
As a kid when Id hear Cary Grant Id just roll my eyes, just another one of mom n dads old actor faves from those stupid black n white films.
Luckily, I began to appreciate said films a little later.
This film is a comedy and funny is funny whether it's 1943 or 2023.

Archive pull Sunday included The Wild Bunch and Vertigo. Love some good Hitchcock.
Wild Bunch is a good watch, but probably not too good for multiple watches. It's fun because it was so controversial in the late 60's when it was released because of certain themes in the film.
For my go to western though, I'd have to say...well...hang on, I've an idea for a top 5 topic now...

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on August 22, 2021, 09:48:06 PM
Arsenic and Old Lace
Cary Grant Priscilla Lane
As a kid when Id hear Cary Grant Id just roll my eyes, just another one of mom n dads old actor faves from those stupid black n white films.
Luckily, I began to appreciate said films a little later.

Same boat! I actually watched Rear Window and Run Silent, Run Deep on separate plane flights and that broke me out of the mindset. Problem now is, those movies can only be watched at home, and my wife hasn't reached that mindset yet with black and white movies.

Crewe

never seen Run Silent Run deep.

Start your wife off with No Time for Sergeants. I challenge her to not laugh.

TheNorm

https://youtu.be/JIThBMSABTo

This...looks a whole lot better than I thought it could be.
Hopefully makes up for the hot mess the last two movies were.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

i dont think the matrix can be redeemed. the first one was good and not much more i liked about it.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on September 09, 2021, 11:44:12 AM
https://youtu.be/JIThBMSABTo

This...looks a whole lot better than I thought it could be.
Hopefully makes up for the hot mess the last two movies were.

I can't wait.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who considers Revolutions his favorite of the 3, and I don't even mind Reloaded.

I like the direction the trailer seems to be going in, especially if it's a bit less ensemble and the focus is on Neo and Trinity (it's a bit Toy Story 4, yeah?).

Given the absence of Laurence Fishburne, I'm also curious if they're following from The Matrix Online MMO. Supposedly, the Wachowskis wanted the Matrix to be a multi-media thing (thus the Animatrix), and why some games like Matrix Online and Enter the Matrix are considered canon to the story.

What's interesting about that, is in the MMO, part of the story was Morpheus trying to recover Neo's body from the machines because he believed Neo's memories were embedded in the Matrix and he could be resurrected. Later in the game, Morpehus died, which would explain his absence here and could potentially explain the plot (what if they recovered Neo's body but had to build their OWN matrix to "perform" the resurrection? Lot of directions to go here)

Anyways, count me in. Red pill secure.

Crewe

I dont want to hear one person say this movie is awesome while trashing TFA in the same breath

TheNorm

TFA was great.

That being said, them seeming to not have much of a plan for what they wanted to do throughout the other two (and I'll always contend TLJ was the best of the sequel trilogy while ROS was a raging dumpster fire) hurt the sequels overall.

...and since we're on the topic of Star Wars now, Rogue One was easily the best Star Wars film out of the last 20+ years.

As maligned as the House of Mouse has been for the sequel trilogy (much of it deserved), the stuff they have on Disney+ (Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, Mandolorian) is incredible. Clone Wars even does a remarkable job of propping up the prequels just a bit.

I have spoken.  8)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on September 11, 2021, 10:41:03 AM
TFA was great.

That being said, them seeming to not have much of a plan for what they wanted to do throughout the other two (and I'll always contend TLJ was the best of the sequel trilogy while ROS was a raging dumpster fire) hurt the sequels overall.

...and since we're on the topic of Star Wars now, Rogue One was easily the best Star Wars film out of the last 20+ years.

As maligned as the House of Mouse has been for the sequel trilogy (much of it deserved), the stuff they have on Disney+ (Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, Mandolorian) is incredible. Clone Wars even does a remarkable job of propping up the prequels just a bit.

I have spoken.  8)

Agree on TFA
Agree there was no direction and not being able to get directors of 8 and 9 on a path was detrimental, however, I challenge your contention and swap out TLF and ROS. I do agree in the grand scheme, both were shit.
Agree with RO and the rest.

We get along pretty well, although it might be kinda rowdy in the bar when we get to discussing your misconception ;-)

Crewe

So, Im rehashing my Halloween thread from last year.
There's not much action here so I may just edit this post as I go, or post as I watch them. Either way, it's easier than writing out one huge wall of text covering my October adventures again.
These will be quick drive by reviews but Ill be glad to discuss if anyone likes discussing the particular films.
So far...

The Guilty
Jakob Cedergren (not the Jake Gillnwhatshisface version)
This film takes place in one setting. A police emergency call center. Jakob Cedergren is demoted to said center temporarily pending a hearing regarding an arrest/situation/shooting he was involved in.
he single handedly carries this film. Sounds trite since he's really the only main actor, but it could have easily failed, but it didnt. The audience gets to ride along as he tries to reslove a real time crisis unfolding in his world as well as ours.

The Descent
Shauna Macdonald, Natalie Mendoza
If you are the least bit claustrophobic, stay away.
A group of friends meetup for a spelunking adventure, which is exactly what they get, and then some.
This film tries to do away with the familiar tropey characters in like films and with little exposition. It's pretty much in you go. This is a horror film and if you ahve surround sound, I highly suggest it for this one.

I See You
Helen Hunt, John Tenney
The Harpers are going through a rough patch. Jackie (Hunt) cheated on her detective husband Greg (Tenney) and while they try to save their marriage, their son, Connor (Judah Lewis) is quite antagonistic towards mom, understandsbly so.
Minor, ok, some minor, but still, unexplained hauntings happen within the house and in the meantime, Greg is brought in to a missing child case, one akin to a similar one he solved some time ago in which the predator is still serving time.
Ill stop here for spoilers, however, Ill add, ultimately, I liked the film and would recommend it, if for nothing else, the narrative structure.
Spoiler
When we revisit the story through other characters eyes, they director omitted a significant scene. At that point, I was confounded. My focus shifted to that point, trying to recall what actually happened and in an attempt to reconstruct the timeline in my head, I missed what I was watching and hearing. Looking back, I see why it was done, but I found it sort of clunky, much like the first act. To me, I just cant fathom that instances like in the early part of the film would just be ignored by reasonable characters. It felt forced. That plus the fact that helen Hunt was wasted in this film. You could have used any B movie actress and plugged her in that role and it would have been fine.
The story as a whole is what keeps my review positive.

10/11
Coherence 2013
Emily Baldoni, Hugo Armstrong

I don't know how this one managed to stay under my radar until now.
To say this is a mind bender is an understatement.
Em and a group of friends gather for a dinner party as a comet is passing closely over Earth.
Malevolence ensues.
Watch this one

Crewe

10/11
Coherence 2013
Emily Baldoni, Hugo Armstrong

I don't know how this one managed to stay under my radar until now.
To say this is a mind bender is an understatement.
Em and a group of friends gather for a dinner party as a comet is passing closely over Earth.
Malevolence ensues.
Watch this one

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956
Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter

The second version of this story reflects the times, ala McCarthyism.
An allegorical tale of mysterious pods appearing in a small town who morph in to people, taking over their bodies and brains while they sleep.
They talk like, act like and have all of the correct mannerisms of those they snatch, but, are void of emotion, compassion, love. Which is how the ruskies were defined in those years.
Dr. Bennell and his to be SO Becky discover the imposters and literally run for their lives while trying to find an ally that has yet to be snatched.
Great tension in a 50's film that still holds today

Crewe

Sisters 1973
Margot Kidder, Jennifer Salt

En route to his Halloween brilliance, Brian DePalma made on homage to Hitchcock called Sisters.
The short version is, there were fantastic shots in this film which is most certainly a product of it's time, and the story is a good one. However, I dont give it quite the ups most do, including Roger Ebert. I liked it, but it just played longer than it was, to me anyway. I liked it, but didnt love it. If you are a Hitchcock fan, DePalma fan or a film buff, then yes, certainly check it out. Otherwise, leave it for a really rainy day

Crewe

Freaks 1932

Not a horror nor a mystery so Im not sure how this ended up on my Halloween list. Nonetheless, this was prior to the Hays Code in Hollywood, so Tod Browning told a story featuring a topic close to his heart, circus freaks. What made this so, rebuked at the time was the fact he used real, pardon the term, freaks. The film had the opposite effect of him wanting them to be accepted however. It was even banned in some places.
Cleopatra (Olga Baclanova) is the normal one who was in a romance with circus Hercules but after a spat, he boots her. She learns of an inheritance that Hans (a midget) is set to receive. After orchestrating a marriage and after much convincing by Hans, the other "freaks" accept her. It's overheard her telling Hercules she slowly plans to poison him to death then take his money and run off with her muscle man.
Hans' pals plot revenge.
its barely an hour and unless you are really in to seeing what was offensive in 1932, I'd pass.

Peeping Tom 1960

This film is about fear, psychological damage due to abuse.
Mark Lewis is an aspiring film maker and photographer, working as a focus tech on film and on his own as a photographer of girlie pictures, calendar type fodder in his spare time.
The set is mostly a film set/studio and his boyhood home which is so large, he has to let out rooms to boarders. One of which is to Helen. A young girl interested in Mark which is then furthered by her interest in his work and they find common ground within her profession.
No real unnecessary dialogue, plot driven and real as the characters help bring this film to life.
The story is not convoluted, however, seeing the world through the damaged (camera) eyes of our protagonist adds poignant tension as does the film noir score.
The production value and art direction is quite jolly considering the subject matter and a few scenes handle the contrast brilliantly. We get a captivating conflict with well directed and talented actors who lead us through this story with continued suspense and interest.
I really liked this one. Give it a go

The Conjuring 2
Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga
We follow the Warrens again picking up not too long after the Conjuring,
Minor opening spoiler here,
Spoiler
I liked the way they told the story of Amityville in such a short time, because honestly we didnt need another Amityville story.
At home, we find Ed and Lorraine have their own little minor skirmish with demonry. meanwhile, in England, the Hodgson's are battling something much more fierce.
Eventually the Warren's are asked to witness on behalf of the church because they cannot intervene without solid proof, which has yet to be provided.
Meanwhile, we see the Warrens on TV panel shows being ridiculed by naysayers causing Lorraine to want to take a break. You know how that's gonna go.
The Conjuring films are based on true paranormal events and it's handled with such balance. We see Ed and Lorraine as a genuine couple that understands skeptics, that freely admit you have to take a leap of faith to help people and that makes the characters real. Patrick and Vera have such chemistry on screen. I really feel them, the love, the compassion they project and it really lifts the films.
The direction by James Wan continues to be slick. Using terrific tracking and dolly shots almost continuously for consecutive scenes really flows together and creates and smooth pace for the film. I can only assume that some of these were drone shots because they were so quietly impressive in my mind, I really enjoyed the experience.
you cannot have a horror film without a great score. There's no iconic Jaws or Friday the 13th theme here but you really have the essence of a modern horror film. Im getting long here, but I really liked every aspect of this movie. The tone, the theme, sound design, artistic direction, and maybe my love of the 70's is showing here, but it's always nostalgic af for me.
There is a negative though....
Spoiler
The final showdown was simplified too much. It felt rushed, too easy to conquer. I realize getting there wasn't easy, but still. And the dramatic hanging on of the child with the curtain. I have to admit, that's the only time I felt "out of the moment" and, the epilogue was just a bit too Disney for me
I liked it, a lot. Not as much as the original, but only a small step separates them.
Check this one out too, unless you have already and Im just last...

Crewe

Frankenstein

Im trudging through the older horror classics as you might guess and this one ahs been on the list a while.
Im glad I watched it and it had some good camera movement and directorial style especially for the 30's.
I can see how it would be received in the infancy of film,
however, to me, and I know Im in the minority here, but the entertainment just doesnt carry over to today.

House on Haunted Hill

Vincent Price

This fella owns a haunted house and has a brother who was killed there along with 4 others over recent years by ghosts, he says.
He then rents it out to Vincent Price who organizes a dare to 5 randomly selected strangers. Make it through the night and receive 10k.
This film has a great aura of the Victorian age and the characters fit really well in this haunted house scenario.
Lively and believable they come to life and Vincent Price demands your interest and attention with his presence.
Old school storytelling, well acted and directed, but do yourself a favor and watch the black and white version.