UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Official 2014 College Football Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, August 28, 2014, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

rollntider

Quote from: rollntider on December 29, 2014, 11:39:16 AM
Congrats, would love to see Michigan back among the elites.

Also the big10 needs a classier team to represent them in the playoffs. OSU fans are pulling the notre dame stunt, and doing nothing but hurling insults and southern stereo types.   I hope we crush them worse than we did Notre Dame.

As for Bowls, I am going to rant on why did not the bowl people match A&M and Texas up.  While Arkansas and Texas, A&M vs. WV, will be good games, but come on, you have a chance at renewing a rivalry.

For all of the talk about the ACC > SEC after the last week off the season (ACC Swept SEC  in rivalry games and the SEC east is very weak this year) ACC 0-4 in bowls? Pulling for Clemson today with that said :)

After watching Bama play A&M and WV, I am not sure who would win, A&M gave up in the 2nd qtr. of the Bama game. One of a few times I saw a team give up. I think WV can win it though, they seem to keep on fighting even if behind. Pulling for A&M thinking WV for the win though.

The 6 games I have seen teams give up:
1990 Alabama vs Louisville (Fiesta Bowl)
1991 Alabama vs Florida (Bama rebounded to finish 11-1)
1996 LSU vs Bama
2008, 2012 Auburn teams vs. Bama
2014 A&M vs Bama

gonna add the 2014 OU Sooners vs Clemson to this list.

Crewe

Loved the A&M and Clemson games. Always brings a smile to my face to see the Sooners get flushed

thaima1shu

Man I'm so excited to see Harbaugh bring Michigan back up to where it should be. Hopefully Chris Petersen does the same thing at Washington and the 2020/2021 matchups between the two teams actually turns into a big time matchup.

TheNorm

Yeah, just watching this TCU/Ole Miss matchup has me excited for the playoff games tomorrow...because clearly those 4 teams are better than TCU and got into the playoff with no controversy and politicking at all.  ::)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

meh Ole Miss Beat Boise this year.. i doubt they could stay on the field with them now.Ole Miss is 1-4 vs. D1 schools in thier last 5 games.... Ole miss hasnt been the same since LSU upended them.

1-4 and America is going to go beserk about how they killed(they did kill them) an SEC team....

Arkansas 30 Ole Miss 0.... yeah that team is the same team from the begining of the season.

With that said, will TCU and Boise be invited to real conferences next year?

TheNorm

From what I saw, TCU is better than any team in the Big Ten was (including B1G "champ" ohio state), and I don't need a 13th game or a conference championship to tell me that.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on December 31, 2014, 06:53:58 PM
From what I saw, TCU is better than any team in the Big Ten was (including B1G "champ" ohio state), and I don't need a 13th game or a conference championship to tell me that.

Maybe and probably so, but playing less games is an advatage the other 4 conferences do not have. Just because they played Iowa state their 9th game does not make them deserving either.

I am still trying to figure out how Ole Miss was in the top ten after a 1-3 run. Georgia Tech win is more impressive to me, they beat a good team, pretty bad.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on January 01, 2015, 02:07:52 AM
Quote from: TheNorm on December 31, 2014, 06:53:58 PM

Maybe and probably so, but playing less games is an advatage the other 4 conferences do not have. Just because they played Iowa state their 9th game does not make them deserving either.

We've gone over all this before-they don't have that option at the moment, and just because they don't doesn't make them any less of a conference. Harp all you want about not being fair, but I don't buy that argument unless there's a guarantee that the NCAA would absolutely grant a waiver for a championship game for the Big XII. TCU showed with their body of work they deserved to be there (and their ranking leading up to the screw job the final week showed that), and Baylor's demonstrating right now that they may have deserved to be there too. Yeah, ohio state won their 13th game...so f'ing what? They lost by double digits at home to Virginia Tech. B1G!!

rollntider

We will agree to disagree. I do think they have the option. They can expand their conference and do a championship game. Why should they get an waiver to play a title game because they wont expand? Louisville begged to join thier conference. They have several viable options to join thier confernce. To say they don't want to water the league down is funny because kansas and Iowa State play football in that league and BYU and Boise would be a step up.

As for the extra game, the extra game is for a chance for someone to get hurt, or to lose etc.... I don't disagree TCU should probably have a shot, but they had one more bye week to heal up and one less game.  OSU may not be the best of those 3, but I bet you if TCU beats Baylor/Boise/BYU/KState/Louisville the final week in a title game(or Baylor beating the teams) OSU is playing Ole Miss yesterday, and TCU/Baylor is in the playoff.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on January 01, 2015, 03:58:08 PM
We will agree to disagree. I do think they have the option. They can expand their conference and do a championship game. Why should they get an waiver to play a title game because they wont expand? Louisville begged to join thier conference. They have several viable options to join thier confernce. To say they don't want to water the league down is funny because kansas and Iowa State play football in that league and BYU and Boise would be a step up.

As for the extra game, the extra game is for a chance for someone to get hurt, or to lose etc.... I don't disagree TCU should probably have a shot, but they had one more bye week to heal up and one less game.  OSU may not be the best of those 3, but I bet you if TCU beats Baylor/Boise/BYU/KState/Louisville the final week in a title game(or Baylor beating the teams) OSU is playing Ole Miss yesterday, and TCU/Baylor is in the playoff.

It still takes time to expand a conference, and if they don't want certain teams, that's certainly their right (hell, the Big Ten still has academic standards for every single one of their member institutions). And if the extra game is all this is about, then a waiver is necessary at their current setup. What if they do decide to expand down the road, should they be forced to wait those 1-2 seasons until they're up to 12 teams to get a conference championship game (and thereby giving the playoff committee another 1-2 seasons to screw them out of a playoff spot)? Bottom line is this: I strongly disagree that they should have to add two teams just for the sake of having two more teams in the conference.

As for the games today: exciting. Not a Spartina fan by any stretch of the imagination but that comeback against Baylor was incredible. Props to them and Wisky for giving the B1G some respect today-it won't hurt as much when the buckeyes get humiliated on national television.
Speaking of humiliation, I'm absolutely loving this FSU meltdown. Oregon is an absolute blast to watch, too. Don't think the Seminoles were winning this anyway but the way they're getting destroyed is a joy to watch. Run it up!

TheNorm

Well this isn't the B1G conference I'd gotten used to seeing the last few years (and seeing this is gross, step it up Bama).
Harbaugh Effect!!

rollntider

Well we sucked it up tonight.

Congrats to OSU, it hurts to say, but they outplayed us.

I think Lane Kiffen caused this loss, by not doing our offense. We did not try to go to Cooper until it was late, we never got into a rythem of running because Kiffin was trying to get cute with stupid plays. But props to Meyer for doing what they did. It sucks to lose, but no one can win them all. When we were going 4-9 I just begged and prayed to be in the hunt. I will be pulling for Oregon, although after watching the FSU game, it may be a blessing we don't face them ;)

Crewe

by the scores, TCU looks like they should've been one of the four and although it's moot, nobody will ever create an argument that will have me agree that a team losing head to head should be champ, or co champ.
Ever.
Period.
End of discussion.
That said, that Baylor loss was brutal, and I'm witnessed as saying after the first score, one only need watch the last 3 minutes of a Baylor game.
I'm tired of bein right ;-)
The Bears, like 90% of college teams, absolutely suck on defense and that and special teams cost them. I really feel for Briles more than the players though, such a great coach, I like to see him do well.
Go Oregon, except for those with the classless taunts on Winston...

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 02, 2015, 01:52:10 AM

Go Oregon, except for those with the classless taunts on Winston...

Winston has been very classless. He is from where I live, i could tell you stories..

With that said... Go Oregon!!!