Main Menu

The Official 2014 NFL Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, September 07, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on December 23, 2014, 10:14:54 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 21, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
Btw...
I know the rules are the rules but it's time to change them. No sub 500 teams in the playoffs.
Yea you won your division, but your division sucks.
If you win your division at 7-9, then you go home and the spot is awarded to the highest WC team and you let in a 3rd WC team.

Hey but if it wasn't for a 7-9 team being in the playoffs, we'd have never gotten to witness one of the greatest runs in the history of the NFL by Beast Mode! Haha
From here forward ;-)

TheNorm

So just days after saying he needed to take his job as an NFL QB more seriously, Johnny Manziel was fined for throwing a party on Friday night that resulted in himself and multiple players being fined by the Browns, and WR Josh Gordon being suspended for today's game due to a violation of team rules. Who the hell's his mentor in the league, Ryan Leaf???

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12087118/johnny-manziel-party-led-cleveland-browns-punishment-josh-gordon

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

The last time the Detroit Lions won in Wisconsin, I was a freshman in college...that still stands. What that means is that Green Bay wins the NFC North and gets the first round bye, while Detroit gets the Wild Card spot with an 11-5 record and gets to play next Sunday...at Dallas.  8)

Full NFL Wild Card Round Schedule is right here. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451057/article/nfl-playoffs-schedule-announced?icampaign=Playoffpicture_news

Sorry Dallas fans, but your Cowboys don't scare me. Bring it. :D
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

So awesome that the Seahawks locked up the #1 seed again. That bye week is so, so needed right now.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 28, 2014, 10:56:15 PM
The last time the Detroit Lions won in Wisconsin, I was a freshman in college...that still stands. What that means is that Green Bay wins the NFC North and gets the first round bye, while Detroit gets the Wild Card spot with an 11-5 record and gets to play next Sunday...at Dallas.  8)

Full NFL Wild Card Round Schedule is right here. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451057/article/nfl-playoffs-schedule-announced?icampaign=Playoffpicture_news

Sorry Dallas fans, but your Cowboys don't scare me. Bring it. :D

As a Dallas fan, evey team scares me right now for resons stated above, however, I do like the way they are playing and I love the outlook, but we better find a new QB fast because I believe Romo just had his last great year.
I think we can beat anyone right now, I also believe we could lay an egg.

Norm, hass Suh played his last game as a Lion?
Im not onee to buy into media hype but Suh doesnt do much to help his cause. I think he is consistently diirtier than the average NFLer and no doubt the Rodgers thing was intentional IMO

Not to be antagonistic, but I always thought Schwartz was a dirty tactics coach, or at least encouraged it. That a misinformed opinion?

TheNorm

Nevermind now, I don't see the Lions beating Dallas without their best defender (and with Nick Fairley still out on top of that? forget it). Only Suh knows whether it was accidental or intentional, but he also knows what his reputation is. He fucked up (again), and it's going to cost his team at the absolute worst time. What is it with players the Lions draft out of Nebraska doing stupid shit at the worst time (see: Raiola, Dominic). Get rid of both of them.

Only way the Lions win now is if both the offense and defense play a perfect game of football, and nothing I've seen out of Stafford this season has showed me he's capable of it now.

I'll absolutely agree with you on Schwartz-dude's an asshole.

Crewe

Good to know. I obviously didn't see every lions game under his command but I saw a good number and that seemed to be a theme but I didn't wanna declare without having input from a more knowledgable source.

As for your predictions, there is one thing I can say for certainty; on a big stage, the Cowboys make heroes out of nobodies (individuals) so look for someone in a subpar season have a career day. Also, Calvin Johnson will have huge numbers. I'd bet the over on this game as I think it will be high scoring.
Only way Johnson doesn't have a big day is if Dallas holds the ball, which is what they should do anyway.

thaima1shu

Crewe

*edit: I hadn't seen the updated news, so ignore this post ;-)

TheNorm

Suh's defense is that he had cold feet. No, really. *snort, giggle*

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12102055/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions-says-appeal-feet-were-numb-cold

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's playing Sunday now-it makes this game competitive.

Crewe

Saw that.  This guy is delusional, but, I'm glad he's playing. If Dallas had won, all that would've been talked about is how Suh would've won the game if the cowardly NFL hadn't been involved in a conspiracy to keep him out.
Ok, maybe a bit much, but you get the idea.

I'll add that it cracks me up when Rodney Harrison chastises dirty players. He made Suh look like a waterboy...

TheNorm

I've seen WWE events that were less scripted than the last few minutes of that game.  >:( Congrats, but fuck this. I might come back for the Super Bowl, but the officiating pretty much ruined watching the NFL product for me one last time. Utter bullshit all around.

Crewe

I saw horrible calls, missed calls on both sides all game, but it aggravates me when people talk about the last one like nothing else transpired during the game...that was the only call...yeah right.
As for the last one, I don't get it and I will never get it; to me, that wasn't PI.
Defend the pass is what a defender is supposed to do, and he did.
This "look for the ball" crap makes zero sense.
How can head placement determine PI?
Everything was perfect there but uh, you shoulda turned your head because although you weren't technically interfering, you weren't looking for the ball....so.... 15 yards.
Fuck this league and their high octane offensive oriented rules. They just won't feel sucessful unti Manning, Brady and Rogers throw for 60 TD's in a season.

Norm, I agree. I remember posting early this year that I was less vested in this season than any other, ever, simply because of, not only the idiotic rules, but the inconsistent enforcement, or lack thereof by these official and that offensive rules committee.
I say again, fuck this league.

Crewe

We played well against GB just not well enough to win.
The one good thing that hopefully comes out of this season for all football fans is closer scrutiny of the rulebook and those on this supposed all star rules counsel.
I doubt that it will which means with my declining interest each year, I should give less than a shit about football in about 6 years at this pace.
I found it hilarious that daddy Jones, of course thought it was a catch but dopey son who is on the committee was much more murky, uhh well, you know, its a tough call either way and uhh you know we like to look at that rule every year but uh yea....umm, theres a fire somewhere, I gotta go, bye.

And just to re iterate, as Ive said before, it's far too easy to blame the refs, and I do when they obviously deserve it, but moreover I always go back to the league and the rules committee.
Way too much room for misinterpretation which allows for zero consistency across the league. The refs have no clue what the hell a penalty is and make calls that will keep their jobs safe. Cant blame them for that.
I also find it interesting that the one rule in existence that helps the defense is the most idiotic rule on the books.

thaima1shu

WHOO I'M GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!! Got selected in the Seahawks season ticket lottery to purchase tickets to the game. What an unbelievable day!