News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on August 24, 2020, 11:17:05 AM
My watching habits are dictated by my mood lol.

This is me to a T. All during quarantine I've thought to myself "I could catch up on SO MANY MOVIES," but then I sit there like, "Doesn't the pandemic have me depressed enough, do I really want to watch Chinatown or The Deer Hunter on top of everything happening in real life?"

And then I put The Office on.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on August 24, 2020, 12:59:50 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on August 24, 2020, 11:17:05 AM
My watching habits are dictated by my mood lol.

This is me to a T. All during quarantine I've thought to myself "I could catch up on SO MANY MOVIES," but then I sit there like, "Doesn't the pandemic have me depressed enough, do I really want to watch Chinatown or The Deer Hunter on top of everything happening in real life?"

And then I put The Office on.

lol

I've made tremendous progress on my entertainment during quarantine, so much so, Ive run out of things to watch. I mean I still have a NF list but that's not really must see, I guess more along with y'all, depends on my mood.

Rigg44

Powers

I watched the new Jamie Foxx vehicle on Netflix this weekend and was underwhelmed. It was for the most part well-acted and the concept is ok but not that original.  The basic idea is there is a street drug called power you can take to gain a superpower that power is unknown until you take the pill. Once the pill is consumed you will either get a power or spontaneously explode. After you get past that concept and all it entails its essentially and vengeful father/ cop that operates outside the lines team-up.  Don't get me wrong it will fill a slow Saturday afternoon and you won't hate that you watched it but its nothing special.

On a scale of 5 with 5 being the best Ill give it a 3.5/5  worth a watch but that's about it 

Crewe

Old Guard
Charlize Theron

First things first, I didnt know this was a comic book but figured it had at least that vibe to it after seeing the trailer.
With me being a serious Charlize mark, I had to check it out.

Andy (Theron) leads a band of four immortal soldiers whose goal is to try to not just save people, but the right people. Once who can help underprivileged or the world as a whole.
Our first glimpse of these soldiers is the opening scene where we see them being killed. Relax, that cant be a spoiler if its the opening scene, can it?
We know little of what is going on or where we are in their journey but we soon see that they have these matching dreams that alerts them of another.
A new arrival to their world, another immortal.
Andy sets out to find her (KiKi Layne) because her and the others had discussed how alone and scared they were when they discovered their survivability.
A few issues I have, which are pointless overall, and I realize I am walking on eggshells here, but we first meet Nile (Layne) with her platoon in Afghanistan. she is part of an all female squad and it just seems so obviously served up it retracted from the movie for me. It was more of a "girl power" thing than a plot point. In any event, they are told to breach a home which they do in a seriously ridiculous manner, and that's when Nile discovers her new reality.
See? I'm just being an asshole, right?

I noted some reviews where people mentioned portions of this two hour ride were clunky and slow. Uhh, ever see a super hero movie before sport?
But, I disagree here. The conversations were poignant, well delivered by likable characters, mostly, and were brief enough to contribute without dragging you in to a nap.
The fights senes were good, you know, super hero-sh...nothing like watching that train wreck ScarJo flying around on wires, but still very slick with a twinge of believability in them.
The really cool thing about this film to me, and again, I had no prior knowledge of these characters via the comic books, was the fact that while they were
Spoiler
"immortal" they were still human. And I mean human in the sense, they could be captured, tortured, imprisoned etc...
It wasn't like they were all a Captain Marvel who can't even get a hangnail.
So for me, it added a very real sense to the characters.
The ending was a splendid one which I really enjoyed and
Spoiler
I also saw somewhere that it was mentioned there "might be" a sequel forthcoming...Did you SEE the end? They literally just TOLD you in big black and white letters that a toddler could understand, yes, there will be a sequel.

So yea, check this one out.

4/5

TheNorm

https://youtu.be/n9xhJrPXop4

I'm intrigued by this one. Saw the original take when it was released and it put me to sleep; since then I've had no desire to rewatch it and hadn't read the books either.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

https://news.avclub.com/nintendo-and-sega-documentary-console-wars-hits-cbs-all-1845030266

I'm not exactly about to sign up for CBS All-Access for one documentary, but I do want to see this. The novel is so perfect.

Crewe

I dont have to see it, I lived it lol  :D

Kidding! Id like to see it too, but ill find it elsewhere

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on September 11, 2020, 08:11:25 PM
I dont have to see it, I lived it lol  :D

Kidding! Id like to see it too, but ill find it elsewhere

Yeah, I'll either sign up for a free trial to watch it or go other routes if that's not an option.

TheNorm

Looking forward to watching that, book was incredible.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I just finished the two season run of OA on Netflix, but Im not here to talk about that specifically.
Can we discuss how giants like this are constantly killing creativity in the second golden age of television?
Im still livid over Deadwood. They say because of the cost of the show, but then they let shit like GoT go on forever which is more expensive than a CGI infected super hero movie.
Sorry if you are a GoT fan but cmon, that show was shit after a couple of seasons.
Stuffed shirts have been murdering the music industry and individuality since Elvis, and they spoon fed MTV and radio just about every conceivable steaming pile of shit they could inhale in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.
Finally, artists have more control now and really, good for them.
Not so much in favor of NF, HBO, etc content creators now.
They single handedly ruined Dexter because they thought they knew better where the story should go, you know, rather than the fuckers that actually created it.

If you dont know, and I didnt either, but OA was presented to have a 4-5 season arc and NF was on board but after just two seasons, fans are left with an absolute unfinished mess after just two seasons. Well, they did get ole gee whiz apology from NF. We love this show and look forward to working with this team again in the future (so we can continually fuck them over)
It was really sad to hear  Brit Marling (producer, writer and star of OA) discuss the sudden ending.
Let's hope NF at least has the decency to allow someone else to come in and pick it up.

I just dont get why some cash cows are left on the ground and others arent. well, yes I do...see Dexter.
To paraphrase George Carlin, some stuffed shirt felt like someone challenge the size of his dick, so he had to cancel the show.

And the billionaires wonder why people pirate their shit?

ok, I fell better now.

Crewe

The Social Dilemma

I have friends...hell, family members, who I deem close minded, closet racist assholes. Some of whom are highly educated, which blows my fucking mind when I hear the shit they spew.
I'm keeping this friendly here to try to get you to objectively watch The Social Dilemma.
in a nutshell, you have these movers and shakers of the tech industry discussing how social apps have run amok and it's literally like the machines have taken over ala Terminator. Only not with brazen violence. Not by the machines themselves anyway.
This presentation is not even calling the corporate giants, Facebook, Google et al, evil per se. I feel like it's a fairly impartial look at how society has reacted to the social media take over, zoomers in particular, since they are the first generation to literally grow up with this tech.
I tell people, even my moronic dipshit close minded asshole family members to give this a look and to be honest with themselves as I was with myself.
And let's have a conversation.
Please.

TheNorm

That's definitely on my list.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on September 20, 2020, 10:52:49 PM
The Social Dilemma

I have friends...hell, family members, who I deem close minded, closet racist assholes. Some of whom are highly educated, which blows my fucking mind when I hear the shit they spew.
I'm keeping this friendly here to try to get you to objectively watch The Social Dilemma.
in a nutshell, you have these movers and shakers of the tech industry discussing how social apps have run amok and it's literally like the machines have taken over ala Terminator. Only not with brazen violence. Not by the machines themselves anyway.
This presentation is not even calling the corporate giants, Facebook, Google et al, evil per se. I feel like it's a fairly impartial look at how society has reacted to the social media take over, zoomers in particular, since they are the first generation to literally grow up with this tech.
I tell people, even my moronic dipshit close minded asshole family members to give this a look and to be honest with themselves as I was with myself.
And let's have a conversation.
Please.

This was a great watch.  The good point is that is showed that the manipulation has moved both the right and left further to the edges.

Crewe

This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on October 08, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
This will be a quickie, but the NF doc 24 Hour War is worth a watch if you are a racing fan.
There was also the movie, if you are just a casual fan, Ford vs Ferrari with Damon and Bale that was really good at telling this story too.
The doc covers how 24 Hours @ Le Mans came to be and how big racing really was, people just dont realize today.
So it moves kinda quick until it gets to the meaty part which is Ford v Ferrari in the 60's.
It delves in to the management of both Ford and Ferrari, the racers, engineers etc.
Interviews with some of those guys still alive today adds to the emotion and realism of what they are discussing.
If you want entertainment, go with the movie. It's pretty accurate and well told.
If you've seen that and want more, go to the doc, it was worth it to me, especially seeing all the old footage.

Both the documentary and the movie are worth watching.  They were very well done.