News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Big 5 power conferences have autonomy

Started by rollntider, August 08, 2014, 02:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/7/5966849/ncaa-autonomy-power-conferences-voting-rules

I think its a good thing.  Gone are the days east West Tech U deciding that kids cant get $200 stipends a week at Florida because they cant afford it.  Maybe also this will quell the cries that the schools arent giving the kids their just due.

TheNorm

Not saying I agree or disagree...just throwing this out there.

QuoteIt's disingenuous how the primary parties involved have framed the necessity for reform as protecting the virtue of the student-athlete, which in turn allows the NCAA and its member institutions to further perpetuate the myth that they are a nonprofit entity. They want just enough change to stay out of the courtroom and stay away from any potential union affiliation while still ensuring greater TV revenues through the further development of in-house conference cable networks.

But at its core, this battle isn't about permitting peanut butter on a bagel (yes, that was an actual NCAA violation because that constituted a "meal" rather than a plain bagel) or improving what's already a pretty good health-care policy for athletes. This is about the big boys gluttonously seizing more power with the acknowledged understanding that segregating themselves from their little brothers won't satiate that relentless appetite.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308060067
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr