UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Life Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, May 14, 2018, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on August 30, 2023, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: rollntider on May 30, 2023, 06:51:02 PM
BTW guys I got married again this year. been hectic last few weeks.
Congrats dude! Good things.

Thought I'd pop in and see how everyone was getting along.
Going ok here as far as I know.
Not sure what was going on with me the last time I was here, but in short, I've been working on me quite a bit and making progress.
Spending a lot of time on new hobbies and veered into a somewhat new arena of video projects.
I've been so focused on work video the last twenty years (with no real film industry to speak of, at least back then) which is no creativity, no input at all, for so long, I forgot what it was I originally wanted to do.
During the pandemic, my nephew left the restaurant biz, not by choice obviously, so I got him into my arena.
Short version is, we've progressed into other arenas, making music videos, corporate vids, promos and even wrote a screenplay for a 5 minute short Ill be shooting later this year.
The plan is to turn it into something one day, but until then, I'm really having a blast. Even took some online writing courses and wrote a 20 chapter manuscript.

I didnt take any time to poke around to see what everyone is up to, so chime in, lemme know how things are with everyone.

That's awesome! That sounds like a lot of fun in and of itself, but even more cool you got to enjoy it with your nephew.

Crewe

Yea it's been fun and nice to have something to look forward to as well. How's your world moving along?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on September 01, 2023, 01:29:54 PM
Yea it's been fun and nice to have something to look forward to as well. How's your world moving along?

I guess the last big update I made here was when I got married which is two years ago now.    ;D

We bought a house last year, so that was good. Earlier this year though we lost our senior cat to a stroke, and our next oldest got diagnosed about a month or so ago with lymphoma, so we've been dealing with taking her for chemo treatments. Fortunately she's doing much better, although we're still going through it, although today's appointment had some bad news, as the fluid in her chest cavity returned in a small amount, so she may be resisting the chemo now and they're going to start her on a stronger regimen.

So, those parts suck. But kiddo's 18 in one month and he already graduated from high school, he's flying here at the end of this month so that'll be a good time. Our new house has about three stray cats that come by regularly, and another two that seem to be house cats that are allowed outside time (one has a collar, one just isn't seen very regularly so we think she either escapes or has limited outdoor time). One of the strays got pregnant, and is currently in our guest room with her six kittens happy and healthy. They're only about two or three weeks old now, so eventually we'll need to get some of them adopted as nine cats is just too many to handle.

Other than that, works good for me and the wife, life has been pretty good minus the chemo bits.

Don't watch many movies these days though, I've become a bit of a hermit who hates leaving the house, although we did manage to make it out to see Barbie.

Crewe

Did I know you got married? I think I knew that? Not sure, but congrats if I didnt say so lol
A new house is fun and stressful. Ive been in mine about 5 years now and just got it settled in last year, everything the way I want it lol
It's fun project though.
Why dont you get some more cats/ lol
That really sucks though, it's the only downside to pets. You have really have to start making quality of life observations.
My dog is 13 now. when he was 9, we found a large mass in around his heart and esophagus so there was no way it was going to be removed.
At the time it wasnt really affecting him as we caught it on a checkup xray. Doc said his breed mix etc and the mass, maybe two years. Well he's made it two more plus so we are on bonus time.
Although I had to drop nearly four bills on him the other day, but totally worth it seeing that happy boy. He's diminishing quickly though, we agree this is probably his last year, if that long.
I told her Im counting on her to help me see when he's hurting because I don't trust just me to notice.
Till then though, whee... lol

I cannot believe your kid is 18, thats unreal dude. it just can't be lol
thats gotta be cool though, having your boy graduate and move on. that's your retirement plan lol
Glad things are well other than the cat hiccup.

I've been on a movie tear for a while now. My other and I are movie buffs and like,almost the same genre although she isn't down with war movies, but I don't like musicals so I consider us even.
We go to movies as often as possible.
I have that bucket list movie poster of 100 to see before you die and just finished it off.
I have one more to go (West Side Story, speaking of musicals) on the AFI original top 100.
Then I have about 9 more to go on the AFI 10th year anniversary list. It's a fun hobby.
For Christmas, she got me everyone's a Critic movie book. it has 52 genre categories defined (pick a famous stars first movie, pick a movie from the depression era, pick an academy award winner etc...)of movies and you are to watch one a week and it has short 2 page questionnaire about the movie, why you chose it etc, what you liked, didn't like etc...
She has one too and at the end of the year, we are going to trade books and watch each others list, so that will be fun.

So, get to the movies, or at least watch at home while hermitting lol

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on September 05, 2023, 01:46:35 PM
Did I know you got married? I think I knew that? Not sure, but congrats if I didnt say so lol
A new house is fun and stressful. Ive been in mine about 5 years now and just got it settled in last year, everything the way I want it lol
It's fun project though.
That really sucks though, it's the only downside to pets. You have really have to start making quality of life observations.
My dog is 13 now. when he was 9, we found a large mass in around his heart and esophagus so there was no way it was going to be removed.
At the time it wasnt really affecting him as we caught it on a checkup xray. Doc said his breed mix etc and the mass, maybe two years. Well he's made it two more plus so we are on bonus time.
Although I had to drop nearly four bills on him the other day, but totally worth it seeing that happy boy. He's diminishing quickly though, we agree this is probably his last year, if that long.
I told her Im counting on her to help me see when he's hurting because I don't trust just me to notice.

thats gotta be cool though, having your boy graduate and move on. that's your retirement plan lol

I've been on a movie tear for a while now. My other and I are movie buffs and like,almost the same genre although she isn't down with war movies, but I don't like musicals so I consider us even.
I have that bucket list movie poster of 100 to see before you die and just finished it off.
I have one more to go (West Side Story, speaking of musicals) on the AFI original top 100.
Then I have about 9 more to go on the AFI 10th year anniversary list. It's a fun hobby.
For Christmas, she got me everyone's a Critic movie book. it has 52 genre categories defined (pick a famous stars first movie, pick a movie from the depression era, pick an academy award winner etc...)of movies and you are to watch one a week and it has short 2 page questionnaire about the movie, why you chose it etc, what you liked, didn't like etc...
She has one too and at the end of the year, we are going to trade books and watch each others list, so that will be fun.

Glad to hear that pooch is doing good.

One thing I got into was action figures ... masters of the universe to be exact. It started during covid, and loved MOTU when I was a kid and saw they were doing a modern version and said

"I will only collect Skeletor and He man" Next thing I know I have most of the line LOL

When I get my new house i will post the room. I also pick up a few Spiderman and Batman here and there.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, the issue is my wife isn't the biggest fan of movies, she prefers prestige TV, your Mad Men, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad type of shows. Which is great, and we're watching a lot of great TV that I probably wouldn't watch otherwise, I wasn't the biggest TV person before I met her (never watched BB or MM until we started dating, she was the one who told me I needed to).

Kiddo's carrying the torch though. I see on his Letterboxd he's been working his way through the canon, he went all the way back and watched the original Nosferatu, and it's fun because I see him go on director binges. He's gotten really into Michael Mann lately, and he's gotten into directors like Kurosawa and Wong Kar Wai, so I've kinda been living vicariously through him  ;D

That's what I'd do though, if I wanted to get back into movies. I'd try to run through directors, a movie a night, then move on to the next one once I'm done with their filmography. Go back to directors like Bergman and Wilder who I've never watched before.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on September 06, 2023, 12:21:27 AM
It's fun project though.

Glad to hear that pooch is doing good.

One thing I got into was action figures ... masters of the universe to be exact. It started during covid, and loved MOTU when I was a kid and saw they were doing a modern version and said

"I will only collect Skeletor and He man" Next thing I know I have most of the line LOL

When I get my new house i will post the room. I also pick up a few Spiderman and Batman here and there.

lol thats cool though

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on September 08, 2023, 02:45:21 PM

Yeah, the issue is my wife isn't the biggest fan of movies, she prefers prestige TV, your Mad Men, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad type of shows. Which is great, and we're watching a lot of great TV that I probably wouldn't watch otherwise, I wasn't the biggest TV person before I met her (never watched BB or MM until we started dating, she was the one who told me I needed to).

Kiddo's carrying the torch though. I see on his Letterboxd he's been working his way through the canon, he went all the way back and watched the original Nosferatu, and it's fun because I see him go on director binges. He's gotten really into Michael Mann lately, and he's gotten into directors like Kurosawa and Wong Kar Wai, so I've kinda been living vicariously through him  ;D

That's what I'd do though, if I wanted to get back into movies. I'd try to run through directors, a movie a night, then move on to the next one once I'm done with their filmography. Go back to directors like Bergman and Wilder who I've never watched before.

Wait, but you've seen Sopranos and Deadwood right?

That's cool about the kiddo, that's what I do pretty much.

BojackHorsefella

I have not watched Deadwood, no.

I actually did what turned out to be a rewatch of Sopranos last year, because I thought I had stopped watching as it was around the time I had kiddo, back in 2005, but I guess I made time to watch it back then because I remembered pretty much every episode as I was watching them.

When work's slow, I'll pop on an episode of something too. Right now I'm 2 seasons into Halt and Catch Fire which I've been enjoying. Great cast headlined by Lee Pace, although everyone's great, especially Toby Huss.

Crewe

Sopranos, Deadwood and The Wire, my top three, interchangeable

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on September 20, 2023, 04:41:29 PM
Sopranos, Deadwood and The Wire, my top three, interchangeable

Watched The Wire for the first time ever this year and yeah, what a show

Crewe

I recall it took me about three tries to get into it, couldnt get beyond first couple of episodes, but finally was able to get going and have seen it probably 3-4 times now

rollntider

its been a hectic few months.

Sold 2 houses and bought a new one, and started a new job.

Had to sell my wifes house then had to house hunt and sell my condo and look for a new one for the new family.

Anyways hoping to settle some roots down and start living life again. its been a hectic few years.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on December 09, 2023, 02:53:01 AM

Had to sell my wifes house then had to house hunt and sell my condo and look for a new one for the new family.

Anyways hoping to settle some roots down and start living life again. its been a hectic few years.

Glad things are settling down for you at least, that all sounds like one big headache.

rollntider

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on December 19, 2023, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: rollntider on December 09, 2023, 02:53:01 AM

Glad things are settling down for you at least, that all sounds like one big headache.

thanks man. They are starting to. Time to do some remodeling lol :)