News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on December 29, 2019, 09:08:48 PM
So I am the only one here that liked it ;-)

Believe it or not, I really wanted to like it, but it was just too all over the place. More fan service than movie and just completely nonsensical.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on December 29, 2019, 09:14:19 PM

Believe it or not, I really wanted to like it, but it was just too all over the place. More fan service than movie and just completely nonsensical.

I believe you, I was the same way about 8.
I just dont get that at all. Coherent story, visually stunning, great cast with acting chops, I mean, I guess Im just a moron for not seeing all the plight.
Its a 9 ep story about Skywalkrs...how in the living hell can you tell that story without "nostalgia" that everyone is so up in arms about?
It's interesting though, by and large, I noticed that critics loved 8, fans hated it, and 9, critics hate but fans loved it.
Go figure

Rigg44

Nope, I liked it.  I thought it had its issues but overall I would give it a 7 out of 10.  I wish they had not had to wast so much time undoing 8 but other than that it was good.  It's about middle of the pack for me. 

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on December 29, 2019, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on December 29, 2019, 09:14:19 PM

I believe you, I was the same way about 8.
I just dont get that at all. Coherent story, visually stunning, great cast with acting chops, I mean, I guess Im just a moron for not seeing all the plight.
Its a 9 ep story about Skywalkrs...how in the living hell can you tell that story without "nostalgia" that everyone is so up in arms about?
It's interesting though, by and large, I noticed that critics loved 8, fans hated it, and 9, critics hate but fans loved it.
Go figure

I agree with everything you just said.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on December 30, 2019, 03:12:19 PM

I agree with everything you just said.

hahaha, thats rare that folks agree with me ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Brigsby Bear (2017)

A real review! I remember seeing the trailer for this way back then and hoping it'd be in a theater near me, and it never was. Fast forward to last night when kiddo asks me "Hey, what was the name of that movie with Mark Hamill and the bear TV show?"

Brigsby Bear stars Kyle Mooney of SNL fame and was produced by Andy Samberg's The Lonely Island (while being directed by someone named Dave McCary who has apparently not done much else besides SNL episodes).

Within the first 10-15 minutes, we're introduced to Mooney and his mom and dad, played by Mark Hamill and and Jane Adams), and the public broadcasting level TV show Mooney loves called Brigsby Bear. Just as swiftly, we're introduced to the FBI agents arresting Hamill and Adams for having kidnapped Mooney's character from the hospital after his birth. Yup, that's right, they're not his parents, and Brigsby Bear? That was just his false dad creating a TV show for him in a warehouse. All his friends he talks about the show with online? Also his mom and dad.

From there, Mooney gets relocated to his real parents' house, and is forced to confront that everything has been a lie, but most of all, his hero, Brigsby Bear, is non-existent.

The movie was really good and, for having been written and released before the height of the toxic fandom epidemic, it takes a real critical look at the disappointment that comes from finding out the pop culture you enjoy and identify with, and have made friends with others (unless it's just your parents using fake accounts on an intranet) over has meant nothing, and ways you can find to give that thing meaning rather than just wallowing in misery, hate and self-pity.

It's honestly a really positive, optimistic movie and Mooney's performance is just fantastic. Also great jobs from Matt Walsh, Michaela Watkins and Ryan Simpkins, highly recommend. Was only $3.99 to rent from Prime Video.

Crewe

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I really liked the stylistic choices made by Tarantino as he seems to really shine with his period piece films.
The art direction was spot on and until I saw it in the film, I had completely forgotten about the old Taco Bell restaurants. That was awesome to see as well as the old rides etc, not to mention the fads and style.

The story revolves around an actor (DiCaprio) who is slowly being pigeon holed in to TV roles depicting certain characters and fears he is becoming irrelevant. His buddy and stunt double (Pitt) is a semi out of work stunt man who drives Rick Dalton around and is basically his right hand.
There was push back from some fans and the family of Bruce Lee regarding the scene depicting the famous martial arts master getting his ass handed to him on a set by Cliff Booth (Pitt)
I honestly see what Tarantino was after here and those of us who grew up on Lee films knows he did say some things along the lines of what was in the movie. The Lee family, certainly not out of line for being upset, but at the same time Im not sure they understood the juxtaposition of the scene as we are shown how Booth remembers it which doesn't mean it was accurate.
I also read later that Brad Pitt had helped restructure the scene where Lee looks more formidable as Tarantino had him losing in the two out of three bout but Pitt had it changed to a draw with the third bout not taking place.

Meantime, DiCaprio seems right in his wheelhouse here delivering a great performance and QT had a great script for him to sink his teeth in to.
Margot Robbie was amazing as Sharon Tate as well, especially with her Nancy Sinatra go go boots  :o

I was excited about this film when I first heard about it because I enjoy reading about Manson and his followers and really didnt know what to expect as I abstained from info and trailers etc.
QT didnt do much of a dive in to them but did introduce the characters to the audience so you get enough of a feel about their motivations without it overpowering the film.
I thought that the Tate LaBianca murders were going to be a background part to the story of DiCaprio and Pitt
Spoiler
but, if you've seen it, you know better.
Tarantino delivers us Inglorious Basterds in the 60's and it just doesn't have the same impact. Booth completely demolishes the Manson clan as they mistakenly enter Dalton's house instead of Tate's.
At first glance, I really didnt like the fact the Manson clan were directly involved in the plot, and mainly the final act, because, my own preconceived notion was that they weren't going to be included.
I'm sure the victim's families were pleased with this outcome which ends by showing the friendly vibrant personality of Ms. Tate instead of seeing her true fate plastered across the screen. I was really happy with that choice too.
Taking it in in the QT universe though, I mean what should I have expected?
All in all, a decent film, but its on the lower end of Tarantino films for me.
Matter of fact, the Kill Bill films are the only thing keeping this one from the bottom. And again, not saying its a horrible movie, I just had different expectations.

3.5/5

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on January 03, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
And again, not saying its a horrible movie, I just had different expectations.

That seems to be a deciding factor here. People who thought we were going to get Charles Manson by way of QT were disappointed (and I do get the appeal), but QT
Spoiler
unexpectedly showed a bit of restraint and instead gave Sharon Tate a pleasant day out, which was actually really kind of sweet.

But yeah, after reading some reviews without spoilers and getting the general vibe, I got the idea that this was both a hangout movie and a treatise on the 60s and what could have been without the Manson disruption, so I was happy with what I got.

I also don't get all of the Bruce Lee controversy, because he was a shit talker, it was part of his game, and as you pointed out, we're seeing Cliff's memory of the event, and not the actual event itself. I guess this is why a lot of movies feel like holding peoples hands these days....

Anyways, I did not live during the 60s, so I really wanted to spend the 2.5 hours in QT's version of it, which, as you said, with the production value and what-not, is extremely close to how Hollywood looked in the 60s, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I get the complaints that there's not a huge story arc there, but QT was less interested in telling a straight forward story and playing more with themes this go-round (which makes sense, as he seems to be considering retiring, so you have to believe Rick's fears of irrelevance are QT's own, and the ending, where Rick's asked "are you going to be ok" and he can finally say "I think so" (I think that's the line) is QT accepting whatever comes next. But, I could be projecting.

This is basically me saying "Man, I really enjoyed this film and I wish you could have had the experience I had," which typically drives my responses but tends to come off as me soap boxing, so apologies for that.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 03, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 03, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
And again, not saying its a horrible movie, I just had different expectations.

That seems to be a deciding factor here. People who thought we were going to get Charles Manson by way of QT were disappointed (and I do get the appeal), but QT
Spoiler
unexpectedly showed a bit of restraint and instead gave Sharon Tate a pleasant day out, which was actually really kind of sweet.

But yeah, after reading some reviews without spoilers and getting the general vibe, I got the idea that this was both a hangout movie and a treatise on the 60s and what could have been without the Manson disruption, so I was happy with what I got.

I also don't get all of the Bruce Lee controversy, because he was a shit talker, it was part of his game, and as you pointed out, we're seeing Cliff's memory of the event, and not the actual event itself. I guess this is why a lot of movies feel like holding peoples hands these days....

Anyways, I did not live during the 60s, so I really wanted to spend the 2.5 hours in QT's version of it, which, as you said, with the production value and what-not, is extremely close to how Hollywood looked in the 60s, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I get the complaints that there's not a huge story arc there, but QT was less interested in telling a straight forward story and playing more with themes this go-round (which makes sense, as he seems to be considering retiring, so you have to believe Rick's fears of irrelevance are QT's own, and the ending, where Rick's asked "are you going to be ok" and he can finally say "I think so" (I think that's the line) is QT accepting whatever comes next. But, I could be projecting.

This is basically me saying "Man, I really enjoyed this film and I wish you could have had the experience I had," which typically drives my responses but tends to come off as me soap boxing, so apologies for that.

I agree with your spoiler, which I liked as well.
I think we are on the same page pretty much except I think I had an actual QT storytelling idea in my head prior to, so that kinda sorta tainted me a little as I watched, but yea, spot on with the rest.

Crewe

Parasite
Song Kang Ho

I saw this film suggested and although I hadn't heard about it, I was intrigued when I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score so I gave it a look.

A poor Korean family lives in a half basement when they are provided an opportunity for work.
Instead of simply taking the opportunity their son (Choi Woo-shik) has been given, he, playing upon the naive but generous madame of the Park household, Cho Yeo-jeong  , his new employer.
He recommends his sister as an art tutor for their young son and after meeting Park So-dam Ms. Park hires her, clueless that the pair are related.
The same method is used to oust the family driver and long time housekeeper out of their jobs so mom and dad Chang Hyae-jin and Song Kang-ho respectively.
This film makes serious unapologetic statements regarding the classes of society.and does so with not so subtle directing and cinematography, and actors who seem deeply tuned in to the story and their character arcs.
Well acted and directed all the way around, I was pleasantly surprised by this film, considering I knew nothing about it and watched it 10 minutes after I was first exposed to it.
A genre for this movie, maybe comedy, thriller, drama squeezed together in a cinematic experience worth experiencing.
It is subtitled but don't let that be a deterrent.

4.25/5

Knives Out
Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas

I wanted to see this film for several reasons; Jami Lee Curtis for one, Ana de Armas for another, Daniel Craig, Don Johnson (yes Don Johnson)
and the fact I freaking love this genre of film!

Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is discovered after an apparent suicide by his housekeeper after a birthday party for him by his family.
Immediately we are involved in a police investigation who are poking around provided the coroner doesn't rule suicide which it is believed he will.
This is the clock of the plot that the story has to beat now and Daniel Craig takes over the lead although he isn't a cop.
With his deep southern Kentucky Friday accent (which is beautifully comical) Benoit Blanc is a highly renowned private investigator who was mysteriously hired to investigate the potential murder.
As the centerpiece, Craig carries this film masterfully despite a wonderful ensemble cast including Michael Shannon, Katherine Langford and Toni Collette.
Marta (Ana de Armas,) as Mr Thrombley's nurse and caretaker becomes a central figure in the investigation who has to face down the entire family who are squabbling over the will.
During the second act, we see in this film also, sentiments of today's values and viewpoints, spoken verbatim by Don Johnson's character midway through.
You see and hear the divisive ideas that punish our society today without overtaking the movie which leaves it entrenched firmly in the traditional whodunnit genre.
It's a well crafted story and told seamlessly by director Rian Johnson (of TLJ failure ;-)) while housed on a beautifully decorated set that truly captures the essence of a very well to do, rich, family.
As we move through the story, it follows the mystery template, unraveling the riddle bits at a time while uncovering unsettling dirt on different family members and the point of view of whoever is telling the story via brief flashbacks during the police interrogation.
It's extremely hard to direct these types of films which will probably be re watched many times to absorb the films many different turns but I think this one succeeds even though to me it was a bit obvious on the first watch, but that doesn't alter the tie at all which was quite fun and entertaining, not. to mention with a tinge of profound dialogue.

Spoiler
Chris Evans to me, as the slickster hipster narcissistic was the obvious orchestrater of villainy.
Btw, a personal note, I think this is really close to who he really is and I say that because an actress friend of mine was on a project with him when he was a nobody and he wanted nobody staring at him or ogling. As she was walking past him and his wee entourage she looked up not realizing it was him and just politely said hi while moving along. Few minutes later she was booted off the project because of a simple passer by greeting. What a prick.

I might give this movie a bit more praise than most because as I said I love this type of film, but it seems pretty well received overall.
Id jump on the wagon if I were you.

4.25/5

BojackHorsefella

Funnily enough, was visiting SC this weekend and just took kiddo to see Parasite today, despite having seen it myself. Just as good the second go around.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 12, 2020, 07:19:57 PM
Funnily enough, was visiting SC this weekend and just took kiddo to see Parasite today, despite having seen it myself. Just as good the second go around.

I was curious if it has value on a second watch. Maybe I will

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on January 12, 2020, 08:49:46 PM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 12, 2020, 07:19:57 PM

I was curious if it has value on a second watch. Maybe I will

The funnest part was noticing all the times that people OTHER than Mr Park are walking up the stairs into the house, and seeing the lights NOT go off one by one for them. It's all about the details.

BojackHorsefella

Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

I enjoy The Next Picture Show podcast, and in their episode regarding Uncut Gems, during the recommendation portion, somebody mentioned Run Silent, Run Deep, as a similarly themed movie, in terms of having high tension and a main character with an unhealthy obsession. In Uncut Gems, it's gambling. In Run Silent, Run Deep, it's vengeance.

Starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, with the first serious role for Don Rickles and one of my favorite "your dad's favorite actor" type actors, Jack Warden, Run Silent, Run Deep is the story of a World War II submarine. Gable, submarine captain, starts the film in the Bungo Straits, only to have his submarine sunk by a Japanese destroyer, the Akikaze. We then fast forward to Gable behind a desk, his new role. But not for long.

The main tension of the film comes from Burt Lancaster, who is given command of the USS Nerka, a new submarine, only to have command taken from him and given to Gable. Lancaster asks to be transferred, but Gable won't allow it, and keeps him as his Executive Officer. The "stealing" of his ship, combined with Gable's extremely unorthodox drilling methods, lead to high tensions and potential mutiny while sailing across a dangerous watery battleground.

I watched this film on my phone, on a plane, flying home from South Carolina, not knowing what to expect. Sometimes you watch "those old movies" that your dad used to watch and whatever luster they may have had once upon a time, it's since faded. This is not one of those movies. Made with tremendous cooperation from the US Navy, the technical detail of the film and the war scenes, combined with exceptional performances by Lancaster, Gable and Warden result in what I can only refer to as a timeless classic. I was absolutely riveted and tense in my seat, which was what I hoped for from a movie given the slightest word of mouth association to Uncut Gems. Did not disappoint.

Would recommend to anyone.

Rigg44

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 16, 2020, 02:10:32 PM
Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

I enjoy The Next Picture Show podcast, and in their episode regarding Uncut Gems, during the recommendation portion, somebody mentioned Run Silent, Run Deep, as a similarly themed movie, in terms of having high tension and a main character with an unhealthy obsession. In Uncut Gems, it's gambling. In Run Silent, Run Deep, it's vengeance.

Starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, with the first serious role for Don Rickles and one of my favorite "your dad's favorite actor" type actors, Jack Warden, Run Silent, Run Deep is the story of a World War II submarine. Gable, submarine captain, starts the film in the Bungo Straits, only to have his submarine sunk by a Japanese destroyer, the Akikaze. We then fast forward to Gable behind a desk, his new role. But not for long.

The main tension of the film comes from Burt Lancaster, who is given command of the USS Nerka, a new submarine, only to have command taken from him and given to Gable. Lancaster asks to be transferred, but Gable won't allow it, and keeps him as his Executive Officer. The "stealing" of his ship, combined with Gable's extremely unorthodox drilling methods, lead to high tensions and potential mutiny while sailing across a dangerous watery battleground.

I watched this film on my phone, on a plane, flying home from South Carolina, not knowing what to expect. Sometimes you watch "those old movies" that your dad used to watch and whatever luster they may have had once upon a time, it's since faded. This is not one of those movies. Made with tremendous cooperation from the US Navy, the technical detail of the film and the war scenes, combined with exceptional performances by Lancaster, Gable and Warden result in what I can only refer to as a timeless classic. I was absolutely riveted and tense in my seat, which was what I hoped for from a movie given the slightest word of mouth association to Uncut Gems. Did not disappoint.

Would recommend to anyone.

Its a great movie that often makes on best of all time lists or at least it did before people started hating anything older than 20 years.