News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

TheNorm

I remember watching this tv show growing up and being mildly entertained by it but didn't remember much of the actual story or the characters.

Also didn't know this was being rebooted/made into a movie, but Peter Berg directing and one Winston Duke (M'Baku from Black Panther) as Hawk? Well sign me up.

https://youtu.be/bgKEoHNi3Uc
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 22, 2020, 10:21:56 PM
what tv series?

Spenser For Hire. I think it was Robert Urich in the lead role.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 22, 2020, 10:39:36 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 22, 2020, 10:21:56 PM
what tv series?

Spenser For Hire. I think it was Robert Urich in the lead role.

I was wondering if that was it.
Why even bother calling it a reboot? Just title your knock off movie something else, no one gives a shit

TheNorm

Couldn't care less how cliched and formulaic this movie looks like it's gonna be...it's a sports movie right in my wheelhouse. LFG.

https://youtu.be/GhtTc7R8yBk

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 04, 2020, 11:12:42 AM
Couldn't care less how cliched and formulaic this movie looks like it's gonna be...it's a sports movie right in my wheelhouse. LFG.

https://youtu.be/GhtTc7R8yBk

I feel like I just watched the movie

Rigg44

Honey Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RR8WTQzwSk

So I watched this movie over the weekend and thought I would give my two cents. It's a semi biography of shia labeouf's life.  It is a slow affair that takes a while to find its footing. The cinematography was that grainy washed out look made famous by Seven.  It fits the overall bleak world the movie is trying to portray.  I don't care for it normally but it fit the motif of the film.

The story was predictable and straight forward. I am not sure if this is a result of the writing or me knowing something about Labeouf's life before watching the movie. The plot serves its purpose and that's about it.  In the end, this like most independent films is about the actor's performances.  I felt like everyone involved put in a workman like performance with spikes of greatness.  Shia Labeouf's performance was above average and at times creeping into great.  It only makes sense he would be connected to the material since it is based on his experiences.  The only true stand out performance was put in by Noah Jupe the boy playing co-lead beside Shia.  He is believable and really sells the character.   

My recommendation is a lukewarm 3 out of 5 stars.  It is worth a watch but there is nothing surprising here.  I do not regret watching it but don't see my self going out of my way to see it again.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on February 24, 2020, 12:15:28 PM
Honey Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RR8WTQzwSk

Aw, that's unfortunate. My son's a huge Shia fan, and while I know he had a whacky upbringing, I didn't know the specific details (and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie isn't a perfect 1:1 of events). That being said, seems like a lot of the things you either weren't a fan of or didn't quite connect with (as you said, due to possibly knowing the story already) is all the stuff I liked about it.

I've heard the movie described as his personal therapy session, and while a simplified description it's not exactly untrue, I think this is what appealed to me the most about the movie. Just the concept of Shia playing his own dad (and as you noted, all the performances in this are great, especially the child actor playing young "Shia"), I just found it utterly fascinating.

Caught it on my kid's recommendation a bit ago, was very impressed.

Today, I bring you The Lodge.

This is going to be a tough one to get into without spoiling anything, so, I won't. It is a scary movie, although not a jump scare type (although there were 2 moments that got me to jump). Mostly, as with most of these A24 and NEON horror films these days, it's that sort of atmospheric, very human type of horror people are making these days (see: Hereditary, The VVitch, It Comes At Night, Midsommar).

The trailer kinda covers it, but I'll give you the basic setup:

A dad takes his 2 kids and recently wedded wife (their stepmother) to a remote lodge for Christmas. He has to work a few days in the city still, so leaves the other 3 behind. At the lodge, the kids both dislike their stepmother, because she's not their mom, but also because their dad met her while researching his book on cults, because she's a survivor of a cult, and not just a survivor, but the cult leader's daughter.

Naturally, whacky spooky hijinx ensue.

My biggest issue with horror movies these days entirely expectation based: my expectations going into the movie, and how my expectations change during the movie (aka, the movie I'm watching vs the movie I'm watching in my head as events transpire). This movie does a great job of taking your expectations and moving them left, right, back and forward, that I genuinely was surprised by some of the twists and turns it takes, that I just had to let my expectations go and follow it where it took me.

Overall, it's the best of the 2020 releases I've seen so far (the only other 2020 release I've seen so far is Birds of Prey, so...take that how you wish), but definitely worth catching in theaters. And that's without going into all the religious imagery the movie invokes, because, as a lifelong atheist, I can't really parse all that.

4/5 stars

Crewe

The evolution of "horror" films is really interesting to me as a fan. I mean, Halloween, Friday the 13th et al, to this.
Ill have to take a peek.

Uncut Gems

A quick drive by about this film.
It's an anxiety ridden, tense, pressure packed journey about a jeweler with a gambling habit burning both ends of the candle.
Sandler shows again that he indeed has acting chops beyond the Happy Madison screwball comedies of which he's usually associated.
This character constantly makes poor decisions but somehow as troubled as he is, Howard Ratner still comes across sympathetic and the film portrays his addiction perfectly.
However, this is not a film about the pitfalls of gambling but more about the fact that our protagonist needs the rush of excitement that gambling creates.
The constant jostling of debtors, the swindling, the hob knobbing, the attempts to keep those around him satiated until he can get everything under control.
Of course thats the point, it's never under control.
This is a fast paced film that won't appeal to everyone. I dont think there's more than 20 or 30 minutes where there isn't incessant shouting, or a chaotic scene, but thats the filmmakers expressing the day to day life of Howard Ratner and it is indeed, chaotic.

4/5

Your horror post reminds me I watched Lighthouse, so...

Lighthouse

The short of it is, I dont know if I liked it or not. I certainly won't rave about it, but I didnt hate it either.
Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to take this all in.
I really enjoyed the imagery, cinematography and the tight framing direction throughout.
The characters descent wasn't really entertaining nor interesting. Not dull really, but somewhere in between.
Tell me what I missed about this movie.

3/5

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on February 26, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
The evolution of "horror" films is really interesting to me as a fan. I mean, Halloween, Friday the 13th et al, to this.
Ill have to take a peek.

Uncut Gems

A quick drive by about this film.
It's an anxiety ridden, tense, pressure packed journey about a jeweler with a gambling habit burning both ends of the candle.
Sandler shows again that he indeed has acting chops beyond the Happy Madison screwball comedies of which he's usually associated.
This character constantly makes poor decisions but somehow as troubled as he is, Howard Ratner still comes across sympathetic and the film portrays his addiction perfectly.
However, this is not a film about the pitfalls of gambling but more about the fact that our protagonist needs the rush of excitement that gambling creates.
The constant jostling of debtors, the swindling, the hob knobbing, the attempts to keep those around him satiated until he can get everything under control.
Of course thats the point, it's never under control.
This is a fast paced film that won't appeal to everyone. I dont think there's more than 20 or 30 minutes where there isn't incessant shouting, or a chaotic scene, but thats the filmmakers expressing the day to day life of Howard Ratner and it is indeed, chaotic.

4/5

Your horror post reminds me I watched Lighthouse, so...

Lighthouse

The short of it is, I dont know if I liked it or not. I certainly won't rave about it, but I didnt hate it either.
Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to take this all in.
I really enjoyed the imagery, cinematography and the tight framing direction throughout.
The characters descent wasn't really entertaining nor interesting. Not dull really, but somewhere in between.
Tell me what I missed about this movie.

3/5

I could talk about both of these movies the entire day, hahaha. I loved them both! Go figure.

So, Lighthouse first. I went into the Lighthouse expecting fantastic production value (basically, recreating that era and set pieces), and that's exactly what I got. Yeah, the "descent into madness" thing is a bit overdone at this point, and I don't think this movie adds anything particularly new. There's a LOT of imagery it plays with though, including the story of Icarus especially (the fascination with the light), and I know that near final shot where Dafoe stands above Pattinson holding his arm is a reference to a painting, I can't remember which one though (I read a lot online, but uh, not all of it gets retained....)

Anyways, I mostly went into this because it was Dafoe vs Pattinson, and I really enjoyed their performances, but especially Dafoe. He gets some amazing monologues to just chew through in this one and I enjoyed that a lot ("HARRRRRRRRRRRRK!") That's kind of what it came down to for me, and it delivered what I was expecting, in that regard.

But Uncut Gems

Uncut Gems tho

This is my #1 movie of the year, and, I love Parasite, Parasite is great, it deserves to win the Oscar it got, and I wouldn't have even been mad if Uncut Gems was nominated and Parasite STILL one. But, being from a half Jewish family (my mom's side) and New York, this movie was sort of like going home for me. Yes, including all the yelling.

I love this movie. I love this movie from start to finish. My son loved this movie. Fiancee did not (admittedly, I knew what it was going into it, the high tension, high anxiety, non-stop in your face intensity of the filmmaking, which was 100% not her thing). I bought it on Amazon, yesterday, the first day it was available for purchase. Have I mentioned I love this movie?

You touched on so many great aspects already (and thank goodness someone else recognizes THE GAMBLING ISN'T HIS ADDICTION. So tired of the "why would I care about a shitty sports gambler" responses....)

Like I said, I could go on forever, but Matt Singer had an article on Screencrush today that I'll share here that I think you'll love:

https://screencrush.com/uncut-gems-is-a-basketball-game/

Crewe

HOW did I not pick up on that basketball analogy and theme?
The halftime bit is amazing to me.
The more I think about it, the more I like it. I might have to watch it again.

TheNorm

Finally got around to watching Parasite this morning. What an amazing film.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on February 26, 2020, 02:14:27 PM
HOW did I not pick up on that basketball analogy and theme?
The halftime bit is amazing to me.
The more I think about it, the more I like it. I might have to watch it again.

Isn't that article just a ton of fun? So cool.

It's stuff like that which is why I enjoyed Mother! so much in 2017. I love movies that are so open to interpretations.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on February 26, 2020, 02:16:26 PM
Finally got around to watching Parasite this morning. What an amazing film.

So much fun. Even my fiancee, who hates subs, is considering finally giving in and watching it, haha.

I was surprised, I visited SC back in January to see the family (was originally going to be my bachelor party weekend until I decided to not have one). Anyways, was going to see 1917 with the family but the times just didn't work out, and it was my son who pointed out the theater had a promising showtime for Parasite. My parents took my nieces to Jumanji, and kiddo and I saw Parasite. When we left, he just looked at me in awe and was like "That was the best movie of the year."

Funny though, it was my 2nd time, so when he asked me he seemed like he thought I'd say no because I'd seen it already. I just told him "It would be a privilege to see Parasite in theaters a second time." And it was.