News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Started by thaima1shu, November 22, 2014, 05:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaima1shu

Don't know if any of you guys played any of the first two games. Loved the first one, hated the second one. This one is shaping up to be pretty good. I'm roughly 33 hours into it and feel like there's still so much left to do. It feels like a gigantic game with tons of places to explore and do. It's almost overwhelming, but having a blast so far.

PC controls are kinda wonky so I started using a controller instead. The tactical camera isn't as good as the first DA game, but still functions well enough that it hasn't become a gamebreaking annoyance for me.

cflnut

I played the first two and have to agree with you. DA:O was great, and DA2 was far to repetitive in the use of environments. I'm looking forward to this one. From what I've heard and seen it's supposed to be the biggest (and possibly longest) one yet. Probably getting it in the next couple of weeks.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

thaima1shu

Agree on repetitive environments from the second one. I think they did a great job with this game though. There are multiple areas to explore, they're huge, have interesting side quests and varied environments. Like I said, 33 hours in and I've still got so, so many more things to do.

Sakura

If you're playing Dragon Age: Inquisition on a PC, make sure it's not on a SSD.  Denuvo (the new DRM model) that they used for this game (as well as Lords of the Fallen) is an encryption software that reads from disk, decrypts a function, checks if it's correct, and then encrypts the function before writing it back to disk.  This results in about 30gb of data per hour.  Over a period of 10 hours this is 300gb, and over a period of 100 hours we're talking about 3TB.  Most SSDs have a life span of about 5TB before they start to break down, and you can actually begin to develop bad data blocks playing this game for any protracted period of time.  It's like constantly defragging your hard drive, which is kind of bad for an HDD too, but it's extremely bad for an SSD.

Buyer beware.

It's because of this that I had my Misha get it for a console instead, cause she wanted to play it really bad, but I didn't want it to destroy one of the hard drives.

rollntider

thanks for the heads up on the SSD.

cflnut

I'm roughly 20 hours into this and have yet to really do anything. Besides a few minor quests. I'm amazed with what they have packed into this. It feels like they are trying to make up for there half-ass attempt in DA2. However the one thing I'm not liking is the freezing wile the game is loading. 3 times in the last hour is getting very frustrating, and I'd rather not have to start all over.

Sakura

Quote from: cflnut on December 04, 2014, 10:12:58 PM
I'm roughly 20 hours into this and have yet to really do anything. Besides a few minor quests. I'm amazed with what they have packed into this. It feels like they are trying to make up for there half-ass attempt in DA2. However the one thing I'm not liking is the freezing wile the game is loading. 3 times in the last hour is getting very frustrating, and I'd rather not have to start all over.

Unfortunately this is a side-effect of the Denuvo DRM (it's also why the game needs 8gb of RAM, it uses 4gb alone for DRM).  There's no real workaround at this time, but if one becomes available, I'll post it here.

cflnut

Quote from: Sakura on December 06, 2014, 05:40:37 AM

Unfortunately this is a side-effect of the Denuvo DRM (it's also why the game needs 8gb of RAM, it uses 4gb alone for DRM).  There's no real workaround at this time, but if one becomes available, I'll post it here.

Not sure if this is relevant for me since I'm playing it on the PS3 not the PC. Should have said that before.

I have found that as long as I'm not loading the auto save things are a bit more stable. Just means I have to get in the habit of saving more often.

Sakura

Quote from: cflnut on December 06, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
Quote from: Sakura on December 06, 2014, 05:40:37 AM

Not sure if this is relevant for me since I'm playing it on the PS3 not the PC. Should have said that before.

I have found that as long as I'm not loading the auto save things are a bit more stable. Just means I have to get in the habit of saving more often.

Nope, not relevant.  Makes me wonder why no one bothered to make sure it would work right, though.

thaima1shu

I've slowed down quite a bit but am roughly 60 hours in. I think I've got 3 or 4 main storyline quests left, but there are certain side quest-ish areas I haven't even unlocked yet. There's still just way too damn much to do. I need more time in the day.

rollntider

got it for my daughter for Xmas, so I will be playing it soon :)

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on December 10, 2014, 01:53:18 PM
got it for my daughter for Xmas, so I will be playing it soon :)

This makes me think of that Simpsons scene where Homer gives Marge a birthday gift, only for it to be a bowling ball.

rollntider

actually we play it together.. that's daddy daughter time

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on December 11, 2014, 12:28:19 AM

So how do you handle the questionable content in these games, like "ride the bull?"  ;D

rollntider

Quote from: Sakura on December 11, 2014, 05:27:49 AM
Quote from: rollntider on December 11, 2014, 12:28:19 AM

So how do you handle the questionable content in these games, like "ride the bull?"  ;D

We have not played this one yet, but she is 19, and we crack jokes. She is a sophomore in college.